Subject: Louis XIV, lost its head (?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alister Lowke
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Although this game has a nice theme and great components, and plays through adequately, the game itself I find to be unenjoyable. I'm really interested to discover why many people have rated it so highly.

I have had 3 plays now and have'nt discovered why I might want to play again. The rules are a bit confusing to understand in the English version, but are comprehensive; you just need to go through them carefully to understand the game mechanics because the game is not intutive in play.

I played through this game once solitare( 2 player) to learn the game. On the surface the strategic choice in the game appears wide and complex, but my solitare expierience showed me how many game choices were severely limited by the influence cards in your hand. So the overall effect seemed to be a fairly random game.

The greatest problem with the game is that the cause/effect game play processes are confused by there being too many variables, game stages, pieces (many bits & no board!) and proceedures to move/allocate which make the game hang together in a very roundabout way (but its kind of fun anyway).

It will be interesting to see if many are interested in playing this game repeatedly.....(I might have missed something)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alister wrote:
On the surface the strategic choice in the game appears wide and complex, but my solitare expierience showed me how many game choices were severely limited by the influence cards in your hand.

You're right; your hand greatly affects your actions. However, each card will grant you at least partial access to the majority of the board; this game is about hand management as much as it is about area-control. The only random part, IMO, is the shield bonus system... easily removed by house rules.

Must have played Louis XIV a dozen games in the past few months, and it shows no sign of stopping in this house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smatt Read
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Alister,

It's funny. Some of the reasons you gave for not liking Louis XIV are precisely some of the reasons I dislike Settlers of Catan. However, in Louis XIV, I am intrigued (no pun intended) by minimizing luck (and there is a lot of luck). I've noticed simple strategies like playing two or three influence markers on a square to "muscle" your way into control is a good one. I've also toyed around with simply taking more influence markers as a stall tactic or playing fewer of them to have more at a crucial moment. In addition, I've found that good 'ol Rudiger Dorn put MANY awesome cards at the edge of the board, so that if you get screwed with all outside influence cards (5 through 12), it can still be a blessing in disguise. I've found that the game play is best with 3 or 4 players, so that might affect things as well. But in the end, people have different tastes, and you don't have to rationalize it at all. I hate Settlers; I love Louis. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.