Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nisei MK II rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Casey
msg tools
mbmbmb
The X:Y construct is commonly used in CCGs and LCGs to describe paid abilities. If you're new to the genre, I can understand you confusion. It's just that many people have been around these games so long that it's become second nature. The construct can summarized as "If you pay X, do Y." The presence of a : in card text is also the best way to distinguish a paid ability from a constant ability on an active card.

I'm also in the "This is a strong ability" camp. A good runner will play around the token by either gathering a large pool of credits and running twice or trying to bait you into using the token early. So, it's not a guaranteed win. You can, however, often score another agenda with either using the token or just the threat of doing so (the runner chooses not to run because of it). The trick is to understand when to use the token and when to just let the runner in. You kind of want to save it for a pivotal game moment, but you can be left feeling quite stupid if you lose a game while still having the token in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Unspecified
msg tools
Nisei Mk II and Chum
I'm new to the game and have a question regarding the timing of Nesei Mk II's use. Jinteki also has a piece of ice called Chum that says something to the effect of "The next ice the runner encounters has +2 strength, and the runner suffers 3 net damage if he doesn't break all subroutines on that ice." (I'm going by memory, perhaps this isn't spot on.)

Let's say the runner passed that Chum without defeating it, and chooses to approach my next ice, "Ice B".

I'm wondering if I can use Nesei's end-the-run ability after the runner declares their intention to encounter that Ice B but before they've been given the chance to break its subroutines, and in doing so trigger Chum's 3 net damage effect. They didn't break all subroutines on that ice, after all.

To be even less fair to the hacking vermin, can I let them pay costs to raise the strength of their ice breaker for Ice B, and then end the run, and trigger Chum, before they've been allowed to use that ice breaker to in fact defeat Ice B? (For that matter, how does that scenario impact the application of Ice B's subroutines?)

What if Ice B wasn't rezzed? Do they still, technically, "encounter" it, merely by stating their intention to continue their run, such that after they elect to do so, and before I even bother to rez Ice B, I can end their run with Nesei Mk II and trigger chum's damage?

Thanks for tips. Apologies if I missed these answers elsewhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOtherDave wrote:
I'm new to the game and have a question regarding the timing of Nesei Mk II's use. Jinteki also has a piece of ice called Chum that says something to the effect of "The next ice the runner encounters has +2 strength, and the runner suffers 3 net damage if he doesn't break all subroutines on that ice." (I'm going by memory, perhaps this isn't spot on.)

Let's say the runner passed that Chum without defeating it, and chooses to approach my next ice, "Ice B".

I'm wondering if I can use Nesei's end-the-run ability after the runner declares their intention to encounter that Ice B but before they've been given the chance to break its subroutines, and in doing so trigger Chum's 3 net damage effect. They didn't break all subroutines on that ice, after all.

To be even less fair to the hacking vermin, can I let them pay costs to raise the strength of their ice breaker for Ice B, and then end the run, and trigger Chum, before they've been allowed to use that ice breaker to in fact defeat Ice B? (For that matter, how does that scenario impact the application of Ice B's subroutines?)

What if Ice B wasn't rezzed? Do they still, technically, "encounter" it, merely by stating their intention to continue their run, such that after they elect to do so, and before I even bother to rez Ice B, I can end their run with Nesei Mk II and trigger chum's damage?

Thanks for tips. Apologies if I missed these answers elsewhere.

No, you can't do that. The ICE is not encountered until step 3, so if you end the run before that (ie step 2.3), the ICE has not been encountered yet and Chum's ability would not kick in. If you triggered Nisei after the ICE is encountered (ie step 3.1), you have to remember that the current player (runner in this situation) is able to trigger as many paid anilities as he wants before the other player (corp) can trigger his. That means the runner can boost his icebreaker and break the subroutines (all paid abilities) before you could end the run with Nisei MK II (also a paid ability).

Hope that helps.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Good question though -- never thought of doing that and would be nice if you could. :D

(Clearly don't play much Jinteki.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Unspecified
msg tools
Butaman551 wrote:


No, you can't do that. The ICE is not encountered until step 3, so if you end the run before that (ie step 2.3), the ICE has not been encountered yet and Chum's ability would not kick in. If you triggered Nisei after the ICE is encountered (ie step 3.1), you have to remember that the current player (runner in this situation) is able to trigger as many paid anilities as he wants before the other player (corp) can trigger his. That means the runner can boost his icebreaker and break the subroutines (all paid abilities) before you could end the run with Nisei MK II (also a paid ability).

Hope that helps.

That helps greatly, much thanks for the clarity.

I didn't realize Nisei Mk II was considered a paid ability. I had thought that terminology was limited to abilities requiring credits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOtherDave wrote:
Butaman551 wrote:


No, you can't do that. The ICE is not encountered until step 3, so if you end the run before that (ie step 2.3), the ICE has not been encountered yet and Chum's ability would not kick in. If you triggered Nisei after the ICE is encountered (ie step 3.1), you have to remember that the current player (runner in this situation) is able to trigger as many paid anilities as he wants before the other player (corp) can trigger his. That means the runner can boost his icebreaker and break the subroutines (all paid abilities) before you could end the run with Nisei MK II (also a paid ability).

Hope that helps.

That helps greatly, much thanks for the clarity.

I didn't realize Nisei Mk II was considered a paid ability. I had thought that terminology was limited to abilities requiring credits.

Anything listed as

cost : effect

is a paid ability.

*edit*. Just remember that any paid ability that lists a click as its cost is a paid ability that requires an action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |