David Heath
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) is proud to announce the signing of Hall of Fame designer Larry Harris. With over 200 published games to his credit, including the legendary Axis & Allies, Larry Harris is one of the most acclaimed and experienced game designers working today.

Larry Harris’ career spans companies such as Milton Bradley, Mattel, Inc., Coleco Industries, Inc., Hasbro, Parker Brothers, Infogrames, Atari and now his own company, Harris Game Design (www.harrisgamedesign.com). Matrix Games plans to work closely with Harris Game Design to bring truly exceptional titles to the market.

The next Axis and Allies game will be called something new but will be on Guadalcanal

This was posted on the Matrix Games forums

Hi, I'm Larry Harris and all those great things you've been hearing about me are true. There are some exciting things coming together here at Matrix Games and I'm proud to be part of it. David Heath and I have some big plans.

I'd like to talk a little about one of them - How about a board game?
How about a board game called Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands?

This is what I wrote at my web site and told some of my friends over there. I'd like to share these comments with you. "You" my, hopefully new friends...

Thanks guys... At this point I can tell you this - Guadalcanal is the next game in my series of designs and Matrix Games is doing it! You will not see the Axis & Allies logo on it but you will be more than pleased with this beauty. It has a totally new combat system. Exquisitely elegant in my learned opinion. For example, no longer does the losing player select his casualties, fate now does that. You’ll think you died and went to war game heaven.

This game will be all about ships and planes. The sea zones will be battlefields. That’s not to say that the U.S Marine’s 1st Division is not fighting for it’s life on Guadalcanal. Or it’s not to say that my fathers division (the 43rd) will not conduct a beachhead on New Georgia and capture the Munda airfield. The game is played (fought) on all the islands that make up the Solomon islands. It ranges from Guadalcanal to Bougainville. Making a cameo will be the allied headquarters of New Hebrides/ New Caledonia and for the Axis (or should I say Japan) Rabaul.. You’ll better understand what I mean by cameo when the game comes out. You’ll be able to reenact the little known but simply fantastic fleet battles that took place around the Solomon islands. If you’re not familiar with part of the war I suggest you read up on it. It is truly amazing!

You’ll be able to experience the FUN and excitement of plotting secret simultaneous movements. This is but one of the many new design features that make this game so frigging rich. It’s still the simple, massive dice rolling game I know you love but now I can tell you that YOU CAN EXPECT MUCH MORE. I promise.

Purchases ? Purchase or to be more precise, request from your military command, any and all the naval, aerial and land units that actually took part in this year long struggle. The problem is, you are charged “victory points” for each cruiser you request. Yeah, I said CRUISER.

Well, I don’t want to give it all away at this point. Did I say I was excited about this game? I think it’s living proof of the theory of evolution (or intelligent design)– because this game has totally evolved into something very, very, very special.

What I really appreciate is the unending enthusiasm I have been getting from Matrix Games. They are so into this project. They are pulling out all the stops and guaranteeing a spectacular game. If it all goes well, it might be out this coming summer. That’s what David Heath is shooting for. He joins with me in saying that – YOU DESERVE IT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Larry Harris Creator of Axis and Allies Joins Matrix Gam
Thank you "David Heath", and especially "Larry Harris"! As I 'foretold' in my 'blog' a couple of weeks ago http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/2005/10/gt-nttin-report.h..., then WE, who are great 'Fanzoids' of the "Mastah", await his & your 'creations' for THIS! Now, are 'we' to understand that there'll BE as 'Historically' based pieces/bits for 'it', and others to follow? That'd be quite the TASK then, as during this particular 'time', then there weren't the 'niceties' of the more advanced weaponry as was found later on. This'd involve MORE than just including 'Cruisers', you understand, as a transition of sorts was undergoing, from the available 'stocks' of equipment on hand, to those more IMPROVED types & kinds that would follow. You folks should get together with the likes of "CinC", "GHQ", "Vaportrails"-(1/600th scale aircraft), and whomever else, in order to provide the necessary quality that ALL should expect! I wish you ALL the very BEST then, and 'we' eagerly anticipate these for everyone's enjoyment!
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I've been on this site for 15 years now, and I'm far from sick of games, but I think I prefer a better balance of favorites to new games. I'm also tired of playing 4+ hr multiplayer games, but I'll still happily play really long games 2 player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thank you "David Heath", and especially "Larry Harris"! As I 'foretold' in my 'blog' a couple of weeks ago http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/2005/10/gt-nttin-report.h..., then WE, who are great 'Fanzoids' of the "Mastah", await his & your 'creations' for THIS! Now, are 'we' to understand that there'll BE as 'Historically' based pieces/bits for 'it', and others to follow? That'd be quite the TASK then, as during this particular 'time', then there weren't the 'niceties' of the more advanced weaponry as was found later on. This'd involve MORE than just including 'Cruisers', you understand, as a transition of sorts was undergoing, from the available 'stocks' of equipment on hand, to those more IMPROVED types & kinds that would follow. You folks should get together with the likes of "CinC", "GHQ", "Vaportrails"-(1/600th scale aircraft), and whomever else, in order to provide the necessary quality that ALL should expect! I wish you ALL the very BEST then, and 'we' eagerly anticipate these for everyone's enjoyment! cool

Let me run that through the Universal Grognator ...

= "I'm excited !"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mojo Jojo
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
shaveandahaircut wrote:
Quote:
Thank you "David Heath", and especially "Larry Harris"! As I 'foretold' in my 'blog' a couple of weeks ago http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/2005/10/gt-nttin-report.h..., then WE, who are great 'Fanzoids' of the "Mastah", await his & your 'creations' for THIS! Now, are 'we' to understand that there'll BE as 'Historically' based pieces/bits for 'it', and others to follow? That'd be quite the TASK then, as during this particular 'time', then there weren't the 'niceties' of the more advanced weaponry as was found later on. This'd involve MORE than just including 'Cruisers', you understand, as a transition of sorts was undergoing, from the available 'stocks' of equipment on hand, to those more IMPROVED types & kinds that would follow. You folks should get together with the likes of "CinC", "GHQ", "Vaportrails"-(1/600th scale aircraft), and whomever else, in order to provide the necessary quality that ALL should expect! I wish you ALL the very BEST then, and 'we' eagerly anticipate these for everyone's enjoyment! cool

Let me run that through the Universal Grognator ...

= "I'm excited !"

Thanks for that, I'm still confused why so many users on this site do their best to mask their posts with needless quotation marks, boldness, italicism, emoticons and suchlike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Harris- thanks for A&A! But...

...was I the only one who, after beating the pants off the computer the first time playing Axis and Allies for the PC, watched in stunned silence when Larry a.) proclaimed that if you were an average A&A player "you will lose" the first few times playing the game against the AI and b.) his "idea" of building an industrial complex in Western Europe to "launch submarines directly into the Atlantic"?

Come on, Larry!! You'd waste 15 IPCs as Germany on an industrial complex!? What are you doing next Saturday? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mojo Jojo wrote:
Thanks for that, I'm still confused why so many users on this site do their best to mask their posts with needless quotation marks, boldness, italicism, emoticons and suchlike

There's only one GROGnads. He just seems like a crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mojo Jojo wrote:

I think it's only one user who does that. The good thing is that it makes his posts easy to spot and easy to ignore. It just hurts too much to try to read them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry, I had guessed from something I read a couple of months ago that next year's A&A installment would be Guadalcanal, probably with land/air/naval elements.

Don't know if this is the same design you're talking about here, but you've got me vibrating like I haven't vibrated since Richard Borg let me play an early demo of C&C Ancients.

Guadalcanal/Solomons sounds incredible. I hope your publisher can be prevailed upon to represent several ship classes per side. The closest thing I've ever seen to a "treaty cruiser" in a boardgame is the Cruiser piece from the European version of "Power."

I'm with ROBERT--hoping to see some lovely historical minis in this game.

Can you give us any hints on release date so we can stock towels accordingly for excessive salivating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.