michael brown
United States
flag msg tools
I paid 100 geek gold...
and all I got was this lousy OverText
Mike: game designer
Jeff: co-worker, played perhaps 30 games over the course of 1.5 years

Time: 30 minutes

Unfortunately I did not keep detailed notes during this game - this is therefore from memory.

Turn 1
Mike: Blue+Green starting hand, Hina+Discerning, Yellow draw(ambassador). Played 6 points worth of cards (2 woodlands, 2 crafts (2+1), 1 fertile island). Total of 9 points at end of turn
Jeff: Blue+Red starting hand, Rongo+Discerning, Yellow draw(holy site, war transports, shields). Played shields + 2 farms & some workers
At the end of the turn, the yellow deck was already gone. This does not bode well for the game.

Turn 2
Mike: Ao+Friendly(jeff), Blue draw. Played some farms and the ambassador.
Jeff: Rongo+Friendly(mike), Green draw. Played a trade agreement(3), some crafts, and the Holy Site.
The green deck had 3 more cards in it, and the blue deck had one more draw till the dregs. Still lots of attacks.

Turn 3
Mike: Ao+Stingy, Blue Draw, Played five islands and a woodland, instant defense
Jeff: Tawhiri+Stingy, Red Draw, grumbled that I thwarted his attack (he had also drawn bad attack cards)
The blue deck was gone (6 workers and 2 woodlands left). The green deck was gone (3 trade agreements left), the yellow deck had never even existed.

Turn 4
Mike: Tawhiri+Impelling, Red Draw, Bought 5 points and attacked uselessly (Jeff had a ton of defenses)
Jeff: Rongo+Discerning, Green draw, played a war transports, bought some points.
Jeff got Rongo nearly each turn?

Turn 5
Mike: Hina+stingy, green draw, bought points, played trade contracts(2)
Jeff: Tawhiri+Impelling, green draw, bought points, played trade contract(1)
I bought up to 38 points, jeff bought up to 34

Thoughts: The base game alone just doesn't have enough cards. Perhaps (since military cards are used once and discarded) I should shrink the military deck to get more cards for the rest of the game.

We talked after the game about combining the base game and one expansion to be the new base game. That might be what we need to do.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.