Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Dunbar
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a week's absence, the Doctor and I celebrated a triumphal return to the horrific streets of Arkham. Well, triumphal in that we were able to play again; our struggle against the Great Old One du jour proved less than triumphal.

For our adversary of the evening, we drew Hastur, the King in Yellow. I played Ashcan Pete (the drifter), while the Doctor pulled Harvey Walters, the professor. The best way to whack Hastur, at least with our traditional small party, is probably to try to fill the Doom track as quickly as possible, and kill him in mano-a-mano combat. However, an early Elder Sign proved tempting, and we decided to try out sealing gates, at least as an initial strategy.

We ran into some early difficulty when the Doctor got sucked through a Gate (by it opening on her). She didn't have 8 Clue tokens, so when she successfully came back through, she was able to close but not seal it. And wouldn't you know, the very next Mythos, a Gate opened in exactly the same place, sucking her through again!

In the meantime, I had difficulties of my own. We got the Terrible Experiment Rumor card, in which the players must defeat a stack of monsters (which grows by one each turn) or the Terror Track goes to 10. This card started with a number of nasty monsters, Dark Youngs and the like, and was basically unclearable. I gave it the old college try, but I was eventually knocked unconscious and unable to keep the card in check, and the Terror Track went to ten immediately. Incidentally, Hastur was now essentially unbeatable in combat with a -10 Combat rating.

We considered throwing in the towel at this point, but decided that valor was the better part of prudence, and kept going. Another nasty Rumor opened up soon after this, forcing me to discard my Ally (+2 Fight), to stop the Doom Track from a one-third chance of advancing each turn; it did manage to advance once before I could close it.

However, what's this? A walk, an infield base-hit, and the home team is back in business! I pulled another Elder Sign, and managed to seal a second Gate, and the Doctor finally was able to put together 8 Clue tokens and seal another. That made three, and once you get a few sealed the game can get easier... could it be? No, it couldn't. The Doom track bounced two more, waking Hastur from his fitful slumber and ending the game. Strategically I think we may have closed a few too many gates without sealing them, though it seemed like a good move at the time. In any case, despite the loss, it was a tight, tension filled game, and that means fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great session. This is a good example how a close defeat can in many cases be more fun than a clear victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.