Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne McCaul
United States
Norton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is the right place for this, (and this is a repost from under the entry for that game) but:

I want this game. But I *know* nobody around me will actually play it. I might be okay playing solo at some point, but generally it'll sit there and at $50, that's a hard pill to swallow.

But I see there's the Cyberboard version and possibly playing via email, which might work.

Now my question is do I need to actually buy the whole game to PBEM? I see that ADB apparently sells the rulebook separately. Is that enough to PBEM? Or will I be missing other needed materials?

Thanks,

-w

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends upon how convicted you feel. If you personally feel that purchasing the rule book from the publisher fulfills the requirement that ownership is required in order to use Cyberboard, then you may proceed. Honestly, if at least ONE of the participants in your game has a hard copy of the game, you should feel no qualms (it is just like gathering at a friend's home to play with HIS copy of the game).

As far as having enough information to play, yes, ownership and reading (some would suggest studying) the rulebook should cover a basic game of F&E. There are TONS of variant and expansion rules floating around in SFB modules, back issues of Captain's Log, etc. but they are not necessary to play and enjoy the game. I would highly recommend that you do NOT start out with trying to play out the General War scenario. Probably the best introductory scenario is Koval's Lightning (I think...it is a Federation vs. Klingon scenario). Not sure that I remeber that correctly, it has been a LOOOONG time since I have played any F&E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is so-so. It's real intent was to serve as a way to maintain a campaign style game where you would eventually use SFB to resolve the combat.

Has anyone done this?

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I have this game and its expansion up for trade, if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingBerserker wrote:
The game is so-so. It's real intent was to serve as a way to maintain a campaign style game where you would eventually use SFB to resolve the combat.

Has anyone done this?

Patrick

Holy Timesink, Batman!

That was NOT F&E's real intent. I can't imagine playing a game of F&E which already can take a full weekend and can generate 5, 10, or even 20 battles on each players turn during the height of the war then stopping and spending 2 hours on each of those battles on the tactical scale. I do remember that the Intro in the rulebook stated that one could use SFB to resolve some of the more important battles like a Starbase or Planet assault but to just use F&E as a strategic map and economy for SFB was unrealistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne McCaul
United States
Norton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh!

Well, I went an ordered the whole game from ADB yesterday. Plus an extra rulebook to pass on to a friend.

Thanks everyone.

-w

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BarbJebez wrote:

SFB was unrealistic.

We are talking about SFB players playing SFB right? The whole thing is unrealistic!

And yeah the whole thing was intended to be used as such not that you had to stick to it, reverting to the games battle system.

TBH - I never found this game to really have a lot of strategy depth. It boiled down to counter pushing dice-fest and maybe that is the point.

I can see this game being used for an RPG scenario in this Genre, simulating a background war setting etc. As a stand-alone game, it doesn't have enough meat, it's the exact opposite in the spectrum from SFB.

I haven't checked out any expansions for it though. Maybe they added more complexity to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.