Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Punct online here: http://punct.biskai.de

One issue has come up that the rules do not seem to answer. Can you form a bridge with a piece that has its "punct" in its center if the piece "below" it is yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denies Gaskins
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules doesn't allow this sort of move:

Quote:
Reminder: to make a bridge, you must jump
onto other pieces. This means that you can only
do it with a piece that is already on the board. Its
PÜNCT must always be moved in a straight line
and be placed on one of your own pieces!

The PÜNCT of the piece must be placed on one of your pieces, not over it.

This reading of the rules would limit each player to 8 pieces that can bridge: the 4 straight pieces with the punct on the end (the E pieces), and the 4 angular pieces with the punct on the end (the 2 L pieces and the 2 R pieces).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the wording of the rules is not that good in this special case, but you can be assured that a bridge with an angular or straight piece having the PÜNCT on it's middle dot can build a bridge over other pieces if the space below it's PÜNCT is covered by an own piece.
This interpretation of the rules was officially authorized by Kris Burm at the game fair in Essen.
Unfortunately this issue wasn't discovered when I was working on the German translation of the PÜNCT rules. Otherwise we (i.e. Kris and me) had found a better wording or added an explicit statement about this special case.

Michael Reitz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denies Gaskins
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
a bridge with an angular or straight piece having the PÜNCT on its middle dot can build a bridge over other pieces if the space below its PÜNCT is covered by an own piece.

Let's say, as an example, that a black straight piece (with its PÜNCT in the center) is moved so that its minor points stack onto two white pieces. Both of the white pieces are on the second level of the board. And the PÜNCT of the piece (now on the third level) hovers over a black point which is on the first level.

So the PÜNCT of the piece does not need to be immediately over a point of its color, just over it. Do I understand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Esch
Germany
Bielefeld
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you're right regarding your example.

Quote:
So the PÜNCT of the piece does not need to be immediately over a point of its color, just over it.

"Just over it" is about right. Precisely: There must be at least one dot below the PÜNCT, and the next dot below the PÜNCT must be of its color.
(or: the PÜNCT must cover a dot of its own color).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Jessica
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools

A general rule is: it is always what you can see from above that counts. This goes for completing a connection as well as for moving pieces on top of other pieces. So, it is allowed to make a bridge with the PÜNCT in the centre of a straight or an angular piece, as long as it bridges a space that is already yours (no matter whether it is occupied by the PÜNCT of another piece or by a secondary dot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.