Popular Tags: [View All]
Samantha RD
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I've really been wanting to pull off since we started playing RftG is to get a 'perfect' genes tableau. It's just one of those weird things. I can't really explain why the idea appeals to me, it just does.

As with many games, pursuing such a pernickety strategy out the gate is usually not going to win a game of Race, but it's fun to try. Tonight however, a really great combo of cards for this strategy found their way into my tableau:

(apologies for the darkness of the image)

As the pic shows, I started off with an Ancient race and abandoned uplift camp, as well as Pan Galactic League and Galactic genome project in hand. I managed to search out quite a few genes worlds and a genetics lab whilst performing some good X2 VP consumes for 8 points each.

The great thing here was, each time I produced, the combination of galactic symbionts, genetics lab and the produce 'windfall bonus' allowed me to replenish all my windfall worlds with each produce action. It was a great round. I finished 66 to 55 points to my opponents Alien/military strategy, and finally got to have my 'genes tableau'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I find the Genes strategy hard to pull off, so it's nice when it works out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
Congratulations! I find the Genes strategy hard to pull off, so it's nice when it works out!
Likewise. I find it tends to be a turn or 2 too slow most of the time - even if you get the right cards for it, either your opponent has ended the game before you can crank out a big points gain, or they've had time to build an equal or better tableau of their own. Genes seems destined to be the support player, very rarely the star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:

Yeah, we've had RftG for probably a year now (maybe 6 months with first 2 expansions), and this is the first 'pure' genes strategy that's worked out so well. Makes me wonder what other elusive little strategies people pursue in this game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Nicely done!

I've occasionally tried to do this. My other one is the diverse economy, which I got within a point of winning with recently (and would have too if I had gotten an alien goods world).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rain alias Gufetto
Italy
FC
flag msg tools
Hi Samantha! congrats for winning with that strategy!

i would like to ask to you if you played with base game or base plus any expansion set, thanks! bye!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rain977 wrote:
i would like to ask to you if you played with base game or base plus any expansion set
Looks like almost certainly Base + The Gathering Storm + Rebel vs Imperium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rain alias Gufetto
Italy
FC
flag msg tools
thanks serge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide