Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
Since Bail is MIA and this is a month overdue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

mb is given out for excellence in microbadge design, so here is your chance to acknowledge some of the quality designers out there. This is arguably the most prestigious microbadge design award, and the current way of giving it out only comes round every 6 months, and only up to 3 designers will get it each time, so if you're interested in participating, don't hold back!

You can more or less see the award as a lifetime achievement award, even though any designer (new or old, with many or few sales or badges) can have it awarded to them, as long as they fulfill the following criteria:

Successfully and appealingly representing five difficult images and/or complex ideas in the restrictive 16x16 pixel format.

mb How this works, in a nutshell mb
1 Any mb owner can nominate two different designers, including themselves. In order to do that, simply send me a geekmail stating the usernames of the designers you wish to nominate. There's no need to provide any information on the designer or why you are nominating them, but please feel free to add a small list of their designs that you think are particularly good.
2 A nomination list will be compiled from the received nominations, and voting volunteers will receive a multi-option poll via geekmail to choose who is worthy of the award this time round. Any mb owner can volunteer to vote simply by geekmailing me and stating just that.
3 The poll described above will determine who, from 0 to 3 designers, will receive the award.

mb Time constraints mb
1 You have 1 week from this post to make your nominations and/or volunteer to be a voter (so until the 16th of September, 2012).
2 The poll will be sent out to all voters a day or two after the nomination/voting volunteering is over, after any nomination/voting conflicts have been dealt with.
3 Up to a week will be given to voters to vote. If there are no ties, the final results should be known before the end of the month.

mb What do you have to do, and how can you participate? mb
1 You want to nominate someone and are a mb owner? Simply geekmail me your nomination list, which may include up to two designers and which may include yourself, preferably with a list of 5 of their best microbadges.
2 You want to vote on who receives the award and are a mb owner? Simply geekmail me stating that you volunteer to vote!

mb Complete award rules mb

General approach:
mintcamel A new thread to be created here in the guild, asking for nominations and for voting volunteers (voters). Nominations and voting volunteering performed by sending a geekmail to the moderator (in this case, me). The moderator is not necessarily a voter or makes any nominations.
limecamel Nominators, who must be mb owners, may nominate up to two different microbadge designers (with no limitations, including themselves). Although not mandatory, every nomination may be accompanied with a list of 5 of the designer's exceptional badges (badges that are more complex than a wooden cube).
grapecamel Voters, who must be mb owners, except for up to two guest voters, may not be on the nomination poll (i.e., if you want to be in the running, don't volunteer to be a voter). If someone volunteers to be a voter and is nominated by someone else, that user will be given the choice of which role he or she wants to have.
lemoncamel A committee of at least 6 members is setup. The committee will usually be composed of up to twelve voters (with a maximum of two guests), if there are more volunteers than that, some further adjustments might be made.
orangecamel All received nominated designers are put into a multi-voting poll and geekmailed to the committee's members.
goldencamel The nomination lists and polls' results are kept private and only accessible to the committee. The only publicly available information is the committee's composition and the final awarded designer list, if any.

Periodicity and poll:
cinnamon A new committee to be formed every 6 months. No restrictions on each new committee exist (i.e., somebody can participate in all of them, just one, whatever).
clove Each committee, so every 6 months, may award up to 3 designers with mb (0 to 3 awards). In the case that more than 3 designers would be awarded at the end of the poll, a simpler tie-breaker poll will be used to check who is to receive the award.
ginger In order for a designer to receive the award, he or she must have at least all but one votes (or all but two, in case of over 10 voters) in the multi-voting.

Limitations:
1 Nominators must be mb owners.
2 All voters must be mb owners, except for up to two guest voters.
3 Prior or current microbadge admins are exempt from the previous two restrictions.
4 Voters may not be on the nomination poll (i.e., if you want to be in the running, don't volunteer to be a voter).

Other stuff:
1 Any unforeseen situations will be dealt with common sense Unforeseen settings that can't be dealt with common sense in an obvious manner shall be discussed and decided upon here.
2 Everything related to the award will be announced here. The final result of this whole thing will also be announced in the main microbadge thread.

mb Award history mb
You can find out more about the award at Microbadge Design award (quality award), Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 01, Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 02 (round 6), Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 03 (round 7) and Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 04 (round 8).

13 designers have been awarded mb in the past, which are: Munin, simonh, TabbySunLion, Debate, jgrundy, mrbeankc, garion, rmidjord, kevintlee, Lajos, spearjr, indigopotter, and wildthayne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nominations sent. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
The mb awarding committee has been formed, and is composed of:

mb Archon313
mb cscottk
mb garion
mb indigopotter
mb tiggers
mb wildthayne
mb zorro_jv

Thanks to everybody that volunteered for voting and/or made nominations.

Voting for this round of the mb award will commence shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
2019 BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my pleasure to announce that the Microbadge Design Award Committee for Round 9 has voted that the prestigious Microbadge Design Award mb be awarded to...

United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge

Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb

Congratulations, and thank you both for all of your excellent work!

Thanks to everyone that participated in awarding the badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to both. Shame Joao isn't around to receive it himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
I'd like to give a sincere thank you to the committee on behalf of both of us, since Bail isn't around to give his own acceptance speech. Apart from being a great designer, Bail was a great asset to the microbadging world. To see that, one just has to look at the fact that we haven't been able to do the things that we counted on him to do now that he's MIA.

For my part, I have the law of averages on my side. I have apparently submitted enough designs to have 5 good ones. I was obviously pulling for another nominee, and would like to have seen us awarded together, but it seems I'll have to lobby harder next time. Again, Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations guys. Both well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mb
Congrats, you two! I'm looking forward to more great stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mb
At some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to both the winners, and also to every other nominee - everybody has great designs! I expect drew can support his candidate from within the comitee next time :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always next time.....

Next time!!!!!!!!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Rawr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewdane wrote:
Rawr

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
wildthayne wrote:
Congrats, you two! I'm looking forward to more great stuff!
wildthayne wrote:
At some point.
I just designed my first badge in a good while. mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls