Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got my copy of the game yet, but I've been reading up on the rules and checking out the promo cards and so on. I've noticed from the promo image that it would be possible for two gladiators to defeat each other at the same time.

The promo card image can be viewed here for reference.

Now if Magnetius were fighting Zephyros and both gladiators had 1 die of each colour left and then Magnetius attacked Zephyros and both rolled a 6, we have the situation that Magnetius wins the tie and scores a wound and Zephyros causes an auto-wound due to rolling a 6 on defense. Both gladiators need to lose a die and they both are defeated simultaneously.

What happens with the bets on victory if this happens (I assume the bank takes the lot) and does the host get to choose if either or both gladiators will be killed in this case?

Is it even possible with the base cards in the deck or only with this pair of promos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Reynoldson
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I have played about 10 games of this and do not believe it can happen without the promo cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyr66 wrote:
I have played about 10 games of this and do not believe it can happen without the promo cards.

There is one gladiator that can cause it in the base game:

Defense triples cause one auto-wound to Attacker.

It is REALLY unlikely, but possible.

Edit: actually, no, this couldn't occur - the attacker would have to do at least 3 wounds to kill someone that has 3 defense left, which would mean he would have at least 3 attack (or 2 attack and an axe), which would mean he could not die from the counterattack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that effect was mentioned in the rulebook and I did think about it, but ruled it out for the same reasons you did.

So it seems that there's no way to actually have the double-defeat just yet, given the promos aren't even available. I still do wonder how we should treat this strange condition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WES GRAY
Canada
flag msg tools
I have played over 100 games of Spartacus and THIS situation has Never happened

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.