United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the good fortune of demoing the new expansion for Conquest of Planet Earth. Here are some of the new things that I noticed:

1) As is already posted in pictures, there are 4 new Ally Space Stuff cards. Nice miniatures too (I love the tank one), but probably the fan favorite currently is the Apocalypse Cube. It will take out most anything, assuming no 6's in opposition.

4 red figures for the new allies were given as preorder bonuses at the Flying Frog booth. A reference sheet was also given so the figures could be used in place of the old allies.

2) There are 4 new alien races. 1 of them is, as noted, the Martian Confederation. I loved these guys (I'm a huge IFOS fan). They had the Martian Scout ability built in (for an alien menace token) and their automatic ability was to reroll any of their combat dice that rolled lower than the total number of their ships in combat (called "Pack Tactics"). Despite having the overlords on my side, though, I did not win the demo.

There is also a race called the Qua'To, or something like that. Their ability (the one I remember) interacts with the empty (0 pop 0 res) locations. They get to build factories on these sites, and each factory will give either a +1 strength or +1 intelligence to them as long as it exists. These factories can be destroyed by resistance tokens (I assume) and by other aliens.

There is also a race (forget the name) which is actually a dual-race. The race is comprised of two dynamically different species. The race card has low stats (2 str 2 int I think), but comes with a token that depicts the current dominant species. One side represents the strong species, and gives a large combat bonus, and the other side represents the smart species, and gives a large intelligence bonus. This token can be flipped (once a turn or something).

The final new race is called "Sirens" or something. I do not remember the particulars, unfortunately.

3) There are a bunch of new location cards in the deck. This increases the location deck by a lot, and adds much more variety to the locations encountered. Of greatest note, is a new symbol that represents "coastal" locations, which interact with players differently.

4) There is a brand new resistance deck that is shuffled and kept separately from the original resistance deck. It is called the "Coastal Resistance". The cards here are drawn for coastal locations, or possibly by events. The cards are primarily naval/air units and related heroes (like an ace fighter pilot).

There is one unit in particular that deserves recognition: The Battleship. This unit has its own counters that are the size of demolish tokens. When drawn, they sit on the location and defend it. The Battleship has very good stats and is a tough customer. Heck, when you beat it once, you just flip it over to its damaged side and have to beat it again. Only after being defeated twice is it removed. However, the player who defeats the Battleship keeps the token, which is worth 1 Terror Point.

Oh, and of course, the Coastal deck features its own copy of Captain Fantastic. Did you really think he wouldn't show up there?

5) There are new event cards added to the deck. I saw a few of them, and they were rather good. The only one I can remember specifically is called "Dogfight", which immediately cancels both sides' strengths and makes the combat a roll-off. Pretty good if you're highly outnumbered.

All in all, I loved what I saw. In fact, I went and preordered right after the demo. This will be a great way to spend some time in december.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it increase the number of players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Does it increase the number of players?

Yes, orange and purple saucers are added to allow up to 6 players. I haven't seen any pictures or heard much discussion on the specifics, but there's new board configurations to allow for this new higher limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Monticello
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the juicy info! There's nothing like making a good game great!!! Everyone I've played COPE with loves it.

At last year's GenCon I got a second Giant Robot promo card (a differently colored robot), so a game some day could turn into "When Giant Robots Fight Each Other!" It hasn't happened yet, but in a six player game that might be more likely. Are the four new allies added to the old ones, or do they replace them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Taeblewalker wrote:
Thanks for all the juicy info! There's nothing like making a good game great!!! Everyone I've played COPE with loves it.

At last year's GenCon I got a second Giant Robot promo card (a differently colored robot), so a game some day could turn into "When Giant Robots Fight Each Other!" It hasn't happened yet, but in a six player game that might be more likely. Are the four new allies added to the old ones, or do they replace them?

Currently, the new allies are replacing the old ones (because no physical cards were handed out at gencon), but the expansion will have 4 brand new cards so the Space Stuff deck wilil have a total of 8 allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any more new Space Stuff or tech cards beyond those allies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.