Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I play to play Breakthrough tonight and love to play campaigns.
Has anyone made a campaign for Breakthrough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign book Volume 2 contains a Breakthrough campaign titled "Break Through Normandy". It has 12 scenario's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SammySnijbonen wrote:
Campaign book Volume 2 contains a Breakthrough campaign titled "Break Through Normandy". It has 12 scenario's.

Actually, it is comprised of 2 Grand Campaigns:

- 1 Grand Campaign composed of 2 campaigns, Americans vs Germans.
- 1 Grand Campaign composed of 2 campaigns as well, British vs Germans.

Each campaign has 3 scenarios for a total of 12.

We played the American Grand Campaign and we really had a blast of a time: paradrops give an interesting level of uncertainty to the final outcome. You really have to make tactical decisions: go for a medal objective or try to wipe your opponent can make a big difference in the final result.

A must have in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, do I really need to buy the #2 for that?

I was hoping for some downloadable campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

I was hoping for some downloadable campaigns.

As far as I know, I can't recall any "Campaign from the Front" (aka free download) in the BT format.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DOW is certainly smart.
To play Breakthrough you have to buy Winter Wars to get the right cards and now Campaign Book 2 to play campaigns with the Breakthrough boards.

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
DOW is certainly smart.
To play Breakthrough you have to buy Winter Wars to get the right cards and now Campaign Book 2 to play campaigns with the Breakthrough boards.

yuk

Don't forget the Breakthrough expansion to get the actual boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
DOW is certainly smart.

yuk

The amount of fun and amusement provided by that campaign does worth the investment. On the other, I do also think they are smart in the way the put the expansions in the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
Slotracer wrote:
DOW is certainly smart.

yuk

Don't forget the Breakthrough expansion to get the actual boards.

I've got the boards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you absolutely have to have Winter Wars to play breakthrough? I didnt know this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajpyyzajp wrote:
Do you absolutely have to have Winter Wars to play breakthrough? I didnt know this.

You don't actually NEED Winter Wars to play the breakthrough format.

However, the Breakthrough Command cards that are included allow you to move additional troops across the board, with a mechanic called "on the move", without ordering them into combat.

For example: Probe Left Flank -- Order 2 units + 2 On the Move. The 2 ordered units can enter combat if desired, the 2 On the Move CANNOT enter combat. The 2 units On the Move are not restricted to the ordered sector, they can be anywhere on the board.

It makes maneuvering troops for future action easier. The Breakthrough boards also include a simplified campaign method to link battles. There are also 4 breakthrough battles in the WW instruction book which could easily be played with the simplified campaign rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ajpyyzajp wrote:

The way a breakthrough scenario is played with the Breakthrough cards deck is radically different from the regular deck.

You can plan a strategy using the "on the move" feature implemented giving the game another dimension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breakthrough scenarios tend to take forever without the winter wars deck because it takes like half an hour just to move your pieces across the board to engage the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.