Rich Wolgemuth

California
msg tools
Biggest concern - rolling a d6 for movement. Is that fun? It seems like it makes the game less immersive and more like, I don't know, Monopoly.

All in all - what do you MoM fans think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think LNOE is a game where the roll and move mechanism actually feels right. It's a horror movie, so the idea is that sometimes the characters panic, drop their keys, or trip over a branch. Add to this the fact that the monsters are slow moving, 1 space per turn zombies and those unexpected rolls of 1 for movement sometimes allow the heroes to get unintentionally cornered...Which creates drama where normally there would be an easy out.

It seems lame on paper, but once you play it you will appreciate its effect on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that, unlike in most roll-and-move games (ie Monopoly), it's not 'roll d6 move that far', it's 'roll d6 move up to that far'. Vastly different, and in my opinion as someone who, under normal circumstances, actively dislikes roll-and-move... it makes all the difference in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you've asked the question, it makes me think that they are similar games, in that they both have a keeper v the players (we still play LNOE 3v1 with4). LNOE is a bit like a lightweight MoM - no puzzles and much quicker to set up, though more combat oriented. Roll and move is definitely not a problem and works well, given the board design. So yes I think you'll like LNOE, if you accept it appears light weight, at least to start with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
We own both. After we got MoM, LNoE started to hit the table less, but then we added Growing Hunger, and it reignited our love for LNoE. They are similiar, but MoM is more about living out a story, and LNoE is more about creating your own. Think of it like that and you should have fun with both. LNoE is also much sillier, whereas MoM takes itself very seriously (as it should).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.