Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite sure that this is answered somewhere allready but since I could not find the answer please alow me to ask.

Some leaders have an effect that occures the moment that they enter play (Aspasia, Croesus, Solomon,...). Courtesans guild lets you copy a leader. Does copying one of theese leader has an effect, i.e. can you use the "When ... enters play" effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originaldibbler wrote:
I am quite sure that this is answered somewhere allready but since I could not find the answer please alow me to ask.

Some leaders have an effect that occures the moment that they enter play (Aspasia, Croesus, Solomon,...). Courtesans guild lets you copy a leader. Does copying one of theese leader has an effect, i.e. can you use the "When ... enters play" effect?

That is how I would play it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
Originaldibbler wrote:

That is how I would play it....

But it is not how I would play it. Knowing CCGs and LCGs I would say that copying this effects does nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But 7 Wonders is NOT a CCG or LCG, and the timing issues for "instants" is not as fixed as in Magic: The Gathering. I initially thought as you did, but after reflection I think having the courtesan copy the "instant" effects is the rule as intended (RAI). That's just my take though and I maybe wrong..so your question is very interesting I would like to see the response of the community, or even better from Antoine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It has been officially clarified that copying a leader gives you full benefit as if you had played him himself. You will get money from Croesus and get to do search with Salomon, etc.

Side note:
Yes, its not Magic, but in Magic world Courtesan Guild would be a blue creature that enters the battlefield as a copy of other creature (like clone or phyrexian metamorph).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Original Dibbler wrote:
Knowing CCGs and LCGs I would say that copying this effects does nothing.

Interesting thought... So you're basically saying that leaders with an instant/"enter play"-effect have already "used up" that effect once they have been brought into play?

Nah, I don't think so - I'd definitely go with Fernando on this one: The rules are quite clear that the copying player should get the same benefit/effect of the copied card, just like he/she had just played the card himself/herself:

Rules wrote:
The player then gains the benefits of that Leader and his or her associated effect.

I'd look at it this way: you play the Courtesans' Guild, you place the marker on the Leader, say Croesus as an example, then you have this copied card virtually in your hand and play it immediately, thus triggering the exact same effects that the original owner did when bringing that leader into play (so yes, you also get 6 gold!).

The only difference is that this "virtually" copied card will not count as a leader card for other cards referencing leader cards with their effects (e. g. for scoring ppurposes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jacek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rulebook specifically says that when the Guild is built, the player immediately gains BOTH the benefits of the leader and the associated effect.

It doesn't matter when the benefit/effect would have happened. The player with the guild gets the benefit/effect no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I play is, if you pay courtesan's guild on a points leader, easy call.

If you play courtesan's guild on an effect leader, you gain the effect as if you played that leader yourself.

Using this logic, I find it downright foolish to copy a leader that grants you an effect, except in this scenario, and this scenario alone:
You have also played the guild and the leader that both give you an extra point for every 3 coins, thus making your board give you one point per coin; your neighbor has played the leader that gives you an extra coin from the bank per turn (Berenice from Cities I believe?). probably you want to be using Ephesos wonderboard in this scenario.

Otherwise, you stand to gain minimal points with an effect leader, so you might just as well copy a points card, or possibly science if you've been playing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Farrow
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you play Cortesans Guild and then the leader is later buried in Abu Simba? Does the Coretesan get the effects of the leader, or the victory points associated with his or her burial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
dwfiv wrote:
What if you play Cortesans Guild and then the leader is later buried in Abu Simba? Does the Coretesan get the effects of the leader, or the victory points associated with his or her burial?

Someone reported here (*click*) that he posed this question to Repos and they answered the courtesan stays in play with the same effect as she had before the burial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
However, somewhere else (*click*) someone reported an answer from Antoine implying that you can't choose to copy a leader after he has been buried - you have to have copied him when he was alive for his copied effects to outlast his burial. (At least that seems to be the only way to interpret the two postings so that both are true.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.