Subject: Song of Wind question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hannes Brunner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Regaring the wording
... You may pay a blue mana to be able to travel through lakes für Move cost 0 this turn.

Does that mean (after having payed a white mana for the stronger effect)

A) Pay a blue mana when playing the card, which allows travel through lakes for move cost 0 this turn

B) This turn, each time I want to travel through a lake (move cost 0) during the movement phase, I have to pay a blue mana to be able to do so

I think it's A), but I'm not sure

thanks
Hannes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When using the White mana power of this card, you may pay an additional blue; if you do you can travel over lakes for a move cost of zero. I love it when this AA makes movement cost zero...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like (A), although I'm not sure if you have to choose to pay the blue mana when you play the card, or if you can pay it any time afterward (during that movement phase). I think your (A) is probably right but the card is not absolutely clear. Some other cards say things like, "When you play this card," to make themselves clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It's like (A), although I'm not sure if you have to choose to pay the blue mana when you play the card, or if you can pay it any time afterward (during that movement phase). I think your (A) is probably right but the card is not absolutely clear. Some other cards say things like, "When you play this card," to make themselves clear.

I am sorry for the thread necromancy, but creating a new thread for a question already raised seemed inappropriate as well

I have a situation where the question whether you can pay the Blue mana later is relevant. I played Song of Wind together with Space Bending, moved a bit, then explored in the hope that I could hop onto the tile for free (or at least a desert at night (Move 1)), but the tile has no plains or deserts, but a lake.

Since I cannot take back the turn and pay the additional mana, it would be vital to know if I can pay that mana at any point in my turn and continue my Space Bending / Song of Wind journey

Since the thread is that old, maybe it was clarified later and I have not found it via the search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:
Since the thread is that old, maybe it was clarified later and I have not found it via the search.

No. Unfortunately, you're not likely to get an official answer to this question. You will just have to decide for yourself what feels right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"You may pay a blue mana to be able to travel through lakes for Move cost 0 this turn."

It says you may play a blue mana to be able to travel through lakes, not just a single lake, and not a blue mana for each lake. Therefore, I would interpret this to be you pay a blue mana and you can move across as many lakes as you wish on this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeuscat wrote:
I would interpret this to be you pay a blue mana and you can move across as many lakes as you wish on this turn.

Everyone agrees about that! The question is whether you have to pay the blue mana before you start moving at all, or only the first time you choose to move onto a lake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

I am sorry for the thread necromancy, but creating a new thread for a question already raised seemed inappropriate as well

I have a situation where the question whether you can pay the Blue mana later is relevant. I played Song of Wind together with Space Bending, moved a bit, then explored in the hope that I could hop onto the tile for free (or at least a desert at night (Move 1)), but the tile has no plains or deserts, but a lake.

Since I cannot take back the turn and pay the additional mana, it would be vital to know if I can pay that mana at any point in my turn and continue my Space Bending / Song of Wind journey

In this case I think I would say no since you have revealed new information. But I can reasons for allowing it too. But I think I would apply no changes after revealing new information here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jebry wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

In this case I think I would say no since you have revealed new information. But I can reasons for allowing it too. But I think I would apply no changes after revealing new information here.

It is out of the question that playing the card cannot be rolled back, due to new information being revealed. The question at hand is if paying the blue mana is a decision to do when playing the card, so you get the additional effect or if by playing the card, you gain a power you can use later. That power being the power to pay blue mana to cross lakes.

The wording is not precise there, but I also lean towards the former, i.e., you have to decide what the effect of Song of Wind should be, pay, and then you can either cross lakes or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually in this game, effects are resolved when the card is played.
You can't delay part of the card / skill (with the notable exception of spirit guides for instance)

This was clarified in LL rulebook, p9 :
Quote:
Immediate Effects
Effects that do not provide Move, Inμ uence, Healing points,
or Attack or Block, work immediately at the moment they are
played. They cannot be delayed and no other effects can be
played before they are processed. If these effects modify some
value or rules, these modi ́ cations last until the end of your turn.

I see why there is room for debate, but then it is to add song of wind to the list of exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.