Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the weekend I played a 4-player game with my wife, my sister, and her husband. It was a teaching game for my sister and brother-in-law so it took a little time to play.

Usually when I play this game, it is 2-players only with my wife, and she readily trounces me almost every game. She's quite good at strategy games and focuses on how to get the most points - then pursues a quick path to victory. I just love to play games and enjoy them even when I lose.

My strategy is usually, get the most cave-meeples and get them to collect resources for my card and hut purchases...oh, and go get some food for the tribe, too. I've read a few threads here on BGG about the value of tools, so I thought I'd try that route this time. Farms first, then tools, and love shack later in the game.

I was second player after the determining die rolls. With the starting 12 food tokens, I planned to get my a couple of civ cards early on, and worry about hunting after the first 2 rounds. Luckily, there was a green card with food on it in the first round so I snatched that up. Then I was able to farm on my second turn, and also got the lucky roller civ card that turn, too. I rolled myself and my sister a farm on that one.

It went on like this for the rest of the game. I chose to get tools rather than the love hut each round it was available. Then I got farm bonuses on civ cards and more lucky roller civ cards that gave me farms. My farms soon caught up to my population, then I headed to the love shack. From that point, the most I ever needed to pay in food was one token. Food bonus cards kept showing up, and I never once needed to hunt.

I mentioned during the game that I didn't need to hunt yet, and my wife said that I probably cheated - since she wasn't winning. Also, the board was oriented so that I was on top, closest to the food resources - so I admit that it was suspicious. But I'm a clean player and my conscious is clear.

My wife did come in second, but I had a rare victory this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dredry Toenail wrote:
I just love to play games and enjoy them even when I lose.

The best line, I couldn't agree more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oz Me
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously? She lost so figures you must've cheated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozme52 wrote:
Seriously? She lost so figures you must've cheated?

She was joking. She knows I'm a clean player. If I wasn't, I'd have nobody to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this thread just for the fact that I forgot you start Stone Age with 12 food. The last couple games we've started WITH NO FOOD at all!

Got everyone in the Happy Hunting grounds clawing just to get enough to feed their poor bellies to scratch out that -10 points in the first couple rounds. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
Thanks for posting this thread just for the fact that I forgot you start Stone Age with 12 food. The last couple games we've started WITH NO FOOD at all!

Luckily RGG has that chart on the second page which makes setting up easier. I think DoW does a good job of that too. There are quite a few publishers, however, that make you really dig to find set up rules to the point where you're nearly re-reading the entire book! Some games I pull out after a few months on the shelf and even though I know how to play the game well, I might forget how many cards or resources each player starts with. I hope publishers start noticing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.