Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the VPG page, it says the game runs about 2.5 hours. Is this best case or worse case scenario?

The game looks really cool and thinking about picking it up when it comes out. But would mostly be playing solo and 2.5 hours would be a bit too much for my tastes.

Do you think it will take that long for a solo game or is that more geared towards a larger number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I playtested it with 3 new players (including me) and the designer, and it took no more than 2 hours. I suspect a solo game will be faster because you won't have to negotiate with yourself, and you won't have the distractions. I'm still thinking at least 60-90 minutes, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my solo games average around 90 minutes--I have a lot of practice, though.

I would say that 2.5 hours is on the upper end of playing times in my experience, but my experience is mostly limited to games including at least one experienced player (me), so take that with a grain of salt. For what it's worth, this will be the first of my published games that I can consistently finish within the official playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you get away with playing with just one or two characters for a solo game? Or do you have to control all possible characters(4-6)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is intended to be played with 4 heroes, regardless of the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
I once played a solo game of Arkham Horror that lasted 15+ hours. After that, 2.5 hours holds no fear for me. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
I once played a solo game of Arkham Horror that lasted 15+ hours. After that, 2.5 hours holds no fear for me. laugh

In one sitting?

If I had a large enough table where I could keep games setup for a couple days and split up play time, 2.5 hours wouldn't be much of a problem. Unfortunately that's not the case though currently. So I usually go for games that can usually be played in an hour or shorter. 90 minutes is an ok stretch if I am having that much fun playing. But it's mostly because I have pretty little time to get games in.

That's why I've always been interested in Arkham Horror but never picked it up because of the long play time and setup as well as table space. It would probably never get played.

I think I think about playing games more than I actually get to.

Anyways, thanks for the answers. I'll probably end up picking it up anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, AH requires a large amount of space and no it wasn't in one sitting. I left it up and played it over a weekend. I'm not that much of a glutton.

I did recently upgrade my "man cave" with a 6' fold-in-half table by Northwest Territory. They occasionally go on sale, which is why I bought it. If you have the space, I can highly recommend one.

This way if Darkness Night takes more than one dark night to complete, I'll be all set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Anderson
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Playtester here. I've never had a game go more than 2.5, though 2 hours is pretty typical for my groups, and we're pretty experienced with gaming in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:

If I had a large enough table where I could keep games setup for a couple days and split up play time, 2.5 hours wouldn't be much of a problem. Unfortunately that's not the case though currently. So I usually go for games that can usually be played in an hour or shorter. 90 minutes is an ok stretch if I am having that much fun playing. But it's mostly because I have pretty little time to get games in.

I am fortunate that I have a modest size table in my um, "den". The size of maps used for several of VPG's games, including this one, are just the right size where I can leave it setup for days at a time. A real luxury in my view, as I can remember my play area being limited to a TV tray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not I feel like I've been playing this game wrong. I read through the rules and played a solo game last night. Then I taught three more people today and played a four player session. Both finished in under two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Finishing faster than average doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong, especially if it's only a little faster than average. I taught Darkest Night to 3 new groups at Orccon last weekend, and I believe we had games last 2 hours, 2.5 hours, and 1.5 hours.

Some games are faster than others. Some players are also faster than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt. Elias
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
I did recently upgrade my "man cave" with a 6' fold-in-half table by Northwest Territory. They occasionally go on sale, which is why I bought it. If you have the space, I can highly recommend one.

I just got one of these tables and I'm also impressed with it. It lays out nice and flat, its sturdy, and it folds up and stores quite nicely. Found one at Wallyworld for about $35. That extra side space is perfect for games like Darkest Night and especially awesome for games like Mage Knight.

Back on topic, I play solo and my games usually run between 1.5 and 2 hours, pretty much the standard I think. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.