Popular Tags: [View All]
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Title says it all, since i just bought my copy, i was wondering why it is just mentioned as up to 6 players in the rulebook. Anyone tried to play with more player yet?
Thanks
FH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we have the 5-6 player extension because not only do you need more (and different color) pieces to add more players, you also have to add the extraordinary build phase to keep the game from lagging too much. You'll find people who enjoy 6 player Catan, and others who find the time between turns too long (and a longer game, of course). Sometimes, the player count on the box is as much about the play experience as it is the infrastructure required for more players...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

PS OF course, you can have many-player Catan here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um... Alex, there's not pieces in The Struggle for Catan... it is strictly a card game. shake

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. That's what I get for posting before morning coffee kicks in...

All of the above still holds true if you add the following to my original post: "The Struggle for Catan at 8 players would take too long between player turns, and would lengthen the game considerably (for example, once the roads are all build, you may never get to use it by the time three or four players got through also building roads), basically making for a suboptimal experience. If I were to use the Settlers of Catan as an example,..."

Okay, more caffeine.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, point given about the time factor, but imagine us as a very patient crowd, would you think there are infrastructural limitations, to borrow your words here?
Would you think the mechanic used in multicatan, with synchronized multiplayer "activations" would work? You could have 2 or more "active player" tokens go around the table, as long as the round ends for everyone at the same time. If anyone of you ever played liars dice with 15+ people and used more than one cup to go around, you know what i mean.
If the resource cards are the limiter, is it possible to get some additional ones separately somewhere?
Thanks in advance
FH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that there are rules tweaks and some house handwaving that could make Struggle playable and enjoyable at 8/12/26 players; given the existing components and rules, 6 was felt to be the upper limit. We're not working on the massively-multiplayer version of Struggle, but that hasn't stopped fans before...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.