Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After some games, one of the thing that I dislike the most are the Cars. I find them a little bit too good to my taste and not really fun to use. I was thinking about how to nerf them a little bit while still keeping them highly useful. So here are some suggestions :

- Fattys can pin them. So when you hit a fatty with the car, it is immediately stopped and cannot move until the fatty is eliminated.

- There can only be one car in a zone. So another car block the way.

- No dice are thrown when leaving a zone. Only zones getting through or stopping in would hit figures

- Cars are empty. To activate them you need to fill them with Gas and you can use them for X turns.

I am leaning towards the Gas Required option. Other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had proposed your 3rd suggestion before, car doesn't attack the zone in which it starts its action. The other ones I don't much care for, though the lack of gas could be a good one as a mission-specific condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing with a "-1 To Die Rolls" penalty on both ranged and melee attacks from people inside the car, though that most often only affects passengers, not a lone person driving the car.

I've considered the stopping-car-when-you-get-a-Fatty thing but had figured I'd only do so if the car "hits" the Fatty. Likewise for an Abomination, though in that case I'd been considering the car "crashed" on that turn, and requiring a roll for possible damage to each survivor in the car.

Our group HAS house-ruled that there's the potential for a car crash when a car enters a zone with another car (resulting in possible damage to any occupant of both cars), though in practice that's just effectively turned into your "there can only be one car in a zone" rule, 'cause nobody's been willing to risk the damage. In practice that doesn't tend to affect much, honestly.

Some people have interpreted the rules to mean that a car may only be used once on a player's turn. I don't think that's the case, though I think there's yet to be an official ruling on it, but you could interpret it that way for your games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Hughes
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Keep flying.
mbmbmbmbmb
My group came up with putting a die on each car representing its fuel. Every time a car moves decrement its die. When out of gas, remove the die. It can't move again until someone uses a gas can on it and puts a die back on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cars can be very brutal as is.
A fellow player scored 130 kills with a car, in a Zombieland style scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe put a noise token on a car token (next to the board) for each zombie killed with it and consider it broken after, I don't know, 20 kills?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Ryn
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
r1100rl wrote:
My group came up with putting a die on each car representing its fuel. Every time a car moves decrement its die. When out of gas, remove the die. It can't move again until someone uses a gas can on it and puts a die back on it.

I like that idea. Did you just start with six, or roll for the original gas number? I'd be tempted to roll for it when the first survivor gets in, to add to the uncertainty of the zombie apocalypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakuall wrote:
r1100rl wrote:

I like that idea. Did you just start with six, or roll for the original gas number? I'd be tempted to roll for it when the first survivor gets in, to add to the uncertainty of the zombie apocalypse.

Right on! We will try this out next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if nerfing the cars is really necessary. In two scenarios (#04 - Drive-by shooting and #06 - The Escape), it's pretty much mandatory to have a couple of players driving one or both cars around, mowing down the zombies, while the other players go for the objectives (tokens in the former; search/pick-up/delivery of supplies in the latter). And you still have to be careful or else the drivers will quickly hit the orange/red levels while other survivors are at blue/yellow, so it's important to swap drivers and objective collectors occasionally - which sounds trivial but it takes a lot of actions to avoid running over your survivors, especially at orange/red when a lot of zombies are spawning.

I'm not sure about other scenarios (I haven't played them all yet and I'm not playing them in numerical order), but perhaps they only need to be nerfed in scenarios that aren't focused on them, or that don't require them to complete the objective (as in #06).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the rules we've been using. They seem to inject a little risk in using the cars, but not without making them useless:

1. Hitting a Fatty or an Abomination crashes your car. This was important because people would zip around the board, wiping out the walkers, leaving only the big guys to fight.

2. AFTER executing your car-related attack, roll a D6. On a roll of 1, your car crashes. This was good because some of our gamier gamers were min-maxing using the cars, all-but eliminating any sense of risk to using the cars by planning their route so they're always safe before the zombies take their turn. This way, there's a one in six chance you'll be stuck in a zone filled with zombies after using a car. Not a tremendous chance, but a chance nonetheless. It really makes you think twice before careening into a zone filled with fifteen or twenty walkers if you've got a one in six chance of crashing into, say, a lightpost or a dumpster and being devoured. We are considering adding a D10 or D20 to the game, to decrease the risk of crashing. While I do feel there should be a *chance* of wiping out, I also feel Zombicide is meant to be fun and light, and maybe a one in ten chance of crashing is a little more sensible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about rolling a 2 on a 2d6?

ohbalto wrote:
Here are the rules we've been using. They seem to inject a little risk in using the cars, but not without making them useless:

1. Hitting a Fatty or an Abomination crashes your car. This was important because people would zip around the board, wiping out the walkers, leaving only the big guys to fight.

2. AFTER executing your car-related attack, roll a D6. On a roll of 1, your car crashes. This was good because some of our gamier gamers were min-maxing using the cars, all-but eliminating any sense of risk to using the cars by planning their route so they're always safe before the zombies take their turn. This way, there's a one in six chance you'll be stuck in a zone filled with zombies after using a car. Not a tremendous chance, but a chance nonetheless. It really makes you think twice before careening into a zone filled with fifteen or twenty walkers if you've got a one in six chance of crashing into, say, a lightpost or a dumpster and being devoured. We are considering adding a D10 or D20 to the game, to decrease the risk of crashing. While I do feel there should be a *chance* of wiping out, I also feel Zombicide is meant to be fun and light, and maybe a one in ten chance of crashing is a little more sensible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like, snake-eyes? That seemed too unlikely.

The problem with cars -- if there's a problem -- is there's no real risk to it. You get in, you drive, you kill everything. And so long as you're paying attention, it's not difficult at all to get clear before the zombies try to eat you.

We've played six player games with three players in the car; the other three people were, frankly, bored watching the other folks murder everything. So there should be a danger to driving the cars.

Basically, it's a matter of balance. Maybe rolling a D10, so you've got a 10% chance of crashing, would work better.

Though, to be fair, have you ever seen a zombie movie where the survivors got into a car and *didn't* crash?

ropya wrote:
What about rolling a 2 on a 2d6?

ohbalto wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Hughes
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Keep flying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakuall wrote:
r1100rl wrote:

Roll when the first survivor gets in. Set it to six when using a gas can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bain
United States
Clarksville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r1100rl wrote:
Rakuall wrote:
r1100rl wrote:

Roll when the first survivor gets in. Set it to six when using a gas can.

This, very much this! Our group is going to use this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.