Jeff Edgar
United States
Pace
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure if this should be under general or sessions, but ultimately it's more of a question, so here it goes...

I recently played through the Shadow Vault Interlude quest, and I fear I may have spoiled my wife's view on the game for good. She is playing with Syndrael as a Berserker, Leoric as a Necromancer, Tomble as a Thief, and Ashrain as a Disciple. She managed to make it through to right before where the broken cart is without much issue, dispatching both Merroids without any real trouble. While she was working on them, I was able to get my master Flesh Maulder up to where the Shadow Dragons were waiting. It was when she stepped into the caravan, allowing me to activate my Shadow Dragons, that the trouble started. As soon as she came around that bend onto the River's Edge, the Interlude became a bit of a slog, admittedly for both of us. Leroic was carrying the Staff of Light that he had won in a previous quest, and Ashrain had her healing prayer boosted to add an extra brown die. It took us an hour and a half to 2 hours from that point to get around the bend and onto the waterfall's edge. During this time, I was blocking up the river with my monsters to keep her from being able to swim anyone down. I was never able to do enough damage to actually knock anyone out, and I was able to use the Flesh Maulder to keep my Shadow Dragons pretty well healed. Also, any time she was able to kill one of my Dragons, I was just able to bring it back at the beginning of my turn and move it up to a point where it was blocking the river again (using 2 moves), and ready to take the other Dragon's place if/when it died. This resulted in a very slow slog down the path. By the time she had the chance to get a monster into the top of the waterfall and drop down, I had the whole lower area around the base of the waterfall surrounded by my other respawned monsters and the lieutenant so that there was only one possible square to jump to. She was tired of just pushing along as slow as she was, so she just jumped with Syndrael (who as been carrying the crypt), who was killed and dropped the crypt, and I was able to snag it and run out the exit. She likely would have won if she had just finished moving slowly through the bends to make it to the end, but if the rest of the Interlude was anything to judge by, that could have taken another hour or more.

To make matters all the worse, we just played through the second half of Endure the Elements (she had won the first half, with me getting the blue ability that forces you to use a fatigue to take an action when adjacent to any monster) and it was again a situation where I was using the Shadow Dragons and managed to take out Ashrain before they could kill my Master Shadow dragon, and then once they did I was able to bring it right back out amidst them. She was frustrated not only by the fact that I was able to bring a dragon back right after killing it, but also that I had used the Shadow Dragons again. I can understand the second part, but with the options I had, that monster just seemed to give me the best chance at success.

I know that I'm leaving out some bits of information, and the details are probably a bit scrambled, but I think I've gotten enough written to give you an idea of what I am trying to say. Has anyone else run into this kind of a situation? I was starting to get a bit tired of doing the same thing as well in the Interlude, but it didn't seem like there was any other tactic I could have employed since I needed to actually kill the hero holding the casket and she was effectively nullifying any progress I was making towards that goal by keeping her healing heroes together. Am I doing something with the monster reinforcements wrong? Is there a kind of "summoning sickness" that I missed in the rules or am I able to activate them right away? Any other input or questions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game, everyone are always able to jump off the waterfall, regardless of how many spaces are 'available'. We just put figures on the nearest empty space if it's crowded.

Secondly, I really recommend against going through the final bend. It's a nightmare for the heroes. Too close to the spawn point, and they're easily boxed-in there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Shadow Vault with 3 heroes. Syndreal (breserker), Jain (wildlander) Avric (disciple).

I was up against Ettins, Shadow Dragons and Merriods. We ended up in a situation where I would kill a monster only for its place to be taken by another monster and the monster I killed standing eagerly behind it.

With Avric healing each turn using the Staff of Light and any other healing spells possible the OL couldnt take any of the heroes down.

What won it for the heroes was good usage of the Heroic Feats. Syndreal raged twice against the Merriod, killing it and clearing a path. Her feat was then activated allowing Syndreal and Jain (carrying the casket) to make a move action. Jain the activated her heroic feat moving another 10 squares towards the exit, finally using last action to move again then burn all 5 fatigue. This was a HUGE 25 square movement that the put the casket beyond the OL grasp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My group just played this one last night, and it was a huge slog.

I chose Ettins for my group near Zachareth, Merriods on the river's edge, and Shadow Dragons as my ringers. The Heroes made an extremely slow push toward the cave door, then spent a few turns opening it, taking potshots, and closing it again. After healing to full with their abilities and resting to have full stamina, they pushed on.

Once they got around the first bend, I had a train of large monsters blocking the hallway. They opted not to open the stuck door so they could funnel my monsters in one at a time, and so I was only ever able to get in two attacks on my turns, one with the monster at the front who would then move to the back, then a second with a monster that was behind moving up to the front. I got a good shot in my master Shadow Dragon, hitting all of the heroes with a 7 damage Fire Breath (with the help of Dark Might and Critical Blow), but Avric's Heroic Feat reversed a lot of that.

In the end, it was an inch-by-inch battle where the heroes would gain a square or two of ground every two or three turns. Finally, Jain saw an opening and tried to make a break for it (because we were going on 4 hours at that point). After she separated from the group and swam down the river, I was able to surround her with my master Ettin and master Shadow Dragon, down her, pick up the casket with Zachareth, and Dash to the exit. It ended up being a five hour session in the end. I think if we play another campaign, we're going to do Overlord Revealed, regardless of how many wins are on the quest pad per side. Shadow Vault was just way too long for what it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's not 100% the scenario's fault, seeing the heroes' attitude. Going slowly proved to be unhelpful to their cause (even if it's anecdotal). They should have gone faster and not allowing the monsters to regroup.

Mine went much faster. Only get stuck in the bend with pool for a while, then I made the huge mistake of not jumping into the waterfall, which stretched the game to 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also depends a lot on how your heroes are able to attack. In your game, you have two pure melee characters (Syndrael and the reanimate), one possibly-ranged character (Thieves can use ranged or melee, but don't get a big benefit from either), and two characters that can pretty much just autoattack and buff (the necromancer doesn't do a whole lot without his reanimate, and disciples only get a handful of attack abilities that require melee). So I'm guessing you weren't able to double-attack very often with that setup. This quest has a lot of small spaces, and combine that with a heavy focus on melee attacks against shadow dragons, and you're going to have a hard time killing things.

Did Syndrael get Weapon Mastery? An on-demand surge is huge when dealing with shadow dragons, and I'm guessing the overlord will keep tossing those at you. If it shows up in the shop, Mana Weave is also a must-have, for much the same reason.

My interlude (which had the heroes fighting ettins, shadow dragons, and flesh moulders) was actually rather different; I had a few points where I was able to build up a blockade and smack the heroes around a bit, but they didn't have any problems pushing through it (even ignoring the river), which meant instead of charging in at them, I often built up a blockade again later, but they were able to get a lot of ground. If it wasn't for Grisban wandering into the middle of everything with the casket, they would have had a very high chance of winning (instead, I dropped 5 cards on attacks to make sure he died and Zachareth could get away with it, although I also had a Dark Charm in hand to draw him out of the heroes' defensive spot if I had to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.