Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Which is the best and quintessential Civilization (the brand) game? Is it the Civilization / Advanced Civilization package or the latest Fantasy Flight Games' Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aerol Bibat
Philippines
Taguig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want simple yet deep gameplay, get the civ/advanced civ package. It's a classic for a reason.

If you want the computer game in RL, get the Sid Meier's one. It's pretty good on it's own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What? No love for the Eagle Games version?

Agreed with the above post completely (the AH one is simple but deep, the FFG one is more like Sid Meier's Civ computer game).

Some minor points: The FFG one does take a lot longer to teach. The trading aspect of the AH one is great. The FFG one is only up to 4 players, or 5 with the expansion. Both are very long games, but the AH one is longer by a few hours usually (not counting variants).

I like and am keeping both games (but have long since sold the Eagle Games one, though I could be nice and say it sure has lots of plastic...). I also have the computer version of Avalon Hill's Advanced Civilization from many years back, and despite an easy to beat A.I., it's a fun option for playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johan de rue
Belgium
Leuven
Leuven
flag msg tools
mb

AH Civ/Adv Civ. : You have to be at least with 4 players for a good game (then you only use part of the map) but preferable with 5+
FFG civ : is ok with 2/3 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Sid Meier's Civilization by Kevin Wilson! You won't regret it! That game is so good, so evolved, it has so many strategies. I just can't say enough good things about it. I really like it. I haven't played Adv Civ so I cannot comment on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fremen wrote:
Get Sid Meier's Civilization by Kevin Wilson! You won't regret it! That game is so good, so evolved, it has so many strategies. I just can't say enough good things about it. I really like it. I haven't played Adv Civ so I cannot comment on that one.

+1

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game with the expansion gets a lot of love with my gaming group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Which is the best and quintessential Civilization (the brand) game? Is it the Civilization / Advanced Civilization package or the latest Fantasy Flight Games' Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game?

I think it depends on what you mean by "the brand", because the Sid Meier's Civilization and the Avalon Hill Civilization are really two quite different brands. If the Sid Meier's Civilization video games are what you're most familiar with, then the FFG game will capture that much better than the Avalon Hill game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.