Max» Forums » Variants

Subject: A more extreme die--variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] a-faire [+] [View All]
David Libby
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to add the slightest choice to the game, for those older kids who want a little more risk/reward in their game of Max. My wife and I added another d6 to the game. Each player on their turn chooses two dice, either the two dice that come with the game, or one of those dice and this new d6. This new die, like the regular ones, has three positive outcomes and three negative outcomes. Most of these are more extreme than the normal outcomes, however.

Roll a:
1. Double Black
2. Single Black
3. Double Green
4. Move Max back two spaces (if Max is on the last space, he stays there, as in the normal game. You may not move him back.)
5. Single Green
6. Remove one unused treat from the game (if all treats are used or discarded, nothing happens.)

Obviously, rolling a 6 is devastating. However, the possibility of rolling a double green on this die, and a single green on the other could heavily swing the game in favor of the players.

With quite a few playthroughs, it seems as balanced as the original, but adds another choice for the kids to make, and adds a stronger element of risk/reward to the game.

This isn't a game that's built for expansions or anything, but this small tweak has given the game some more excitement for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.