Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Michel
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
As far is I understood the rulings in this forum moving forward should be the same as advancing and moving backward the same as retreating.

Did I misunderstand something?

Before I read these rulings we made our own rules: you are always facing your opponent and forward means away from the wall in your back and backwards towards the wall in your back. In fact the same as in the rulings.

But for advance we decided that advancing has to bring you closer to your opponent. I.e. if there are N spaces between you and your opponent you can/must move a maximum of N spaces. So if you are adjacent you don't move at all since hopping over him wouldn't bring you closer to the opponent.

Any opinions on the topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advancing is the same as moving forward, and the direction of movement is set at the beginning of movement. If you advance while adjacent to an opponent, you jump to the other side.

Example

You are L, and play a Drive while adjacent to your opponent, C, as shown

xxxLCxx

You could choose to advance 1 or 2 spaces before activating, which would put you either here

xxxxCLx

or here

xxxxCxL

Now, if they are corner trapped like this

xxxxxLC

you can't advance, so any advance effects on your part would do nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott's correct. Advance determines the initial direction of the movement, but it's possible to overshoot if you want.

For example, Demitras's Jousting style could take you from here:
DOxxxxx

all the way to here:

xOxxxxD

since you're 'advancing' when you start off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Michel
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the answers guys.

I'd say that should appear in the FAQs: forward movement is the same as advancing and backward movement is the same as retreating.

IMHO it would be a good idea to use only one term for one concept. Perhaps in the second edition ...

Anyhow: interesting game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carpetemporem wrote:
Thanks for the answers guys.

I'd say that should appear in the FAQs: forward movement is the same as advancing and backward movement is the same as retreating.

IMHO it would be a good idea to use only one term for one concept. Perhaps in the second edition ...

Anyhow: interesting game!

There is only one term for the concept.
The only usage of "forward" and "backwards" in the rules is to clarify what Advance and Retreat mean.

Quote:
Movement effects are mandatory. If an effect says 'advance 1 or 2 spaces', then the player must move either 1 space forwards or 2 spaces forwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gilson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The movement phrasing in some of the overdrive finishers like luc or cadenza is move forwards. But I guess that is the same as advancing?

Dang think I just lost a game retroactively. Oh well, the other person doesn't need to know that. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PerplexedSquirrel wrote:
The movement phrasing in some of the overdrive finishers like luc or cadenza is move forwards. But I guess that is the same as advancing?

Yup.

Quote:
Dang think I just lost a game retroactively. Oh well, the other person doesn't need to know that. whistle

I won't tell if you won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.