9 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Shapers running Anarch Ice Breakers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spyder Murphy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This morning after getting from work I had another look at the Anarch and Criminal cards (While they have been spoiled, I find it difficult to analyse on a screen) and was wondering if it would be viable to play the un-boostable icebreakers (Sentry, Code Gate) with using Personal Touch and Ice Craver/ Data Sucker to keep them viable, which in turn will help keep the runs cheap.

There are a couple of weaknesses and that is some advance-able Ice, fortunately Battering Ram is still the more efficient breaker and two of those advance-able are walls anyway, not to mention Tinkering.

Is it Viable, or just a little too card dependent?

I'm also looking at a Jinteki high damage deck splashing the likes of Ghost Branch and Scorched Earth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lindsay
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If your goal is a flatline focused deck, right now I feel like the strongest option for that is Weyland, splashing Data Raven, Snare!, Project Junebug and Archived Memories. Snare! in particular is strong in this deck because with the threat of SE, unless they have a crash space or decoy in play, the runner almost can't afford to run on their 4th click. If they do hit a Snare! on the 4th click, they're going to take enough damage to make 1 SE lethal, and they are now tagged.

Jinteki can definitely play the flatline game, but Scorched Earth is tougher for them because of the high influence cost and relatively limited choices to tag the runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shockwave IIC wrote:
...wondering if it would be viable to play the un-boostable icebreakers (Sentry, Code Gate) with using Personal Touch and Ice Craver/ Data Sucker to keep them viable, which in turn will help keep the runs cheap.

There are a couple of weaknesses and that is some advance-able Ice, fortunately Battering Ram is still the more efficient breaker and two of those advance-able are walls anyway, not to mention Tinkering.

I'm assuming that you're talking about building a Shaper deck? I think you'll be able to do some of what you say, but you won't have enough influence to make the deck really focused on that strategy.

The starter Anarch deck operates this way, with the native cards for reducing strength (Ice Carver, Parasite, Datasucker) and the kind of icebreakers you describe. So, this strategy in its purest form right now starts with the Anarch deck, modified a bit to address its weaknesses.

Those weaknesses are that the Anarchs don't really have any defense or credit generation.

My current constructed Anarch deck grabs a bit of defense from Criminal (Crash Space, Decoy) and Shaper (Rabbit Hole, Sacrificial Construct) and supplements the ice breakers with Gordian Blade and Pipeline for more flexibility. I ignored the credit generation weakness, hoping that things will often be cheap enough that Armitage Codebusting and Sure Gamble would be enough.

I've only played it once but it did well; getting the Grimoire console out early was key to victory, and the Ice Carver was also a big factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyder Murphy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
auction_prune wrote:
Shockwave IIC wrote:
...wondering if it would be viable to play the un-boostable icebreakers (Sentry, Code Gate) with using Personal Touch and Ice Craver/ Data Sucker to keep them viable, which in turn will help keep the runs cheap.

I'm assuming that you're talking about building a Shaper deck? I think you'll be able to do some of what you say, but you won't have enough influence to make the deck really focused on that strategy.
The quick count I did this morning put most of the Influence at 10

4 for the two Djinn's (Which can be mitigated in faction)
6 for two of each, Yog.0, Mimic and Datasucker. Granted this means that without dropping a Djinn or two I can only have 1 Ice Carver

Quote:
The starter Anarch deck operates this way, with the native cards for reducing strength (Ice Carver, Parasite, Datasucker) and the kind of icebreakers you describe. So, this strategy in its purest form right now starts with the Anarch deck, modified a bit to address its weaknesses.

Those weaknesses are that the Anarchs don't really have any defense or credit generation.
I spotted a similar thing, but with Tinkering costing so much Influence and Shapers having better engine and Wall breaker, my conclusion was to go as Shaper taking the much lower Influence costing cards from Anarch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I still think you're barking up the wrong tree - if you like the Anarch icebreakers like Mimic and Yog, and like the support that they get in terms of lowering ice strength, go Anarch. The Shaper icebreakers are hardly lacking, they're pretty good for this strategy. Only the Battering Ram has greater than 1 cost for breaking a subroutine, and that is just because you have to pay 2 to break up to 2.

By getting some Anarch icebreakers, you're missing out on other good viruses, and the Anarch Console is really indispensable if the viruses are important to you.

That made me think, why not have the Shaper deck keep its own ice, but borrow from the good icebreaker support that the Anarchs have. If it works, it may never have to boost the strength of its icebreakers.

I really wanted to pull in Medium (would work great with Maker's Eye), but didn't because of the influence cost and because I recently played a game as Anarch where I accessed 3 cards from R & D, and two of them were Snare! Maybe being too greedy is not a good idea.

The cards I pulled in were :
Datasucker X2 (lower strength on any Ice)
Parasite X2 (lower strength and kill 1 Ice)
Deja Vu X1 (recovering any card is strong, recovering viruses is bonus)
Djinn X1 (mostly to be able to pull a virus into your hand)
Grimoire X1 (huge acceleration on viruses, +2 MU for 3 is good, and as nice as the Shaper console is, it's so expensive)
Ice Carver X1 (price is high at 3 influence, but this can turn a close game)

The final deck list is below, built from 1 core set; I'll try it out in a game tomorrow.

Identity:
Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker

Total Cards: (45)
Event (16)
Diesel x3
Infiltration x1
Modded x2
The Maker's Eye x3
Tinkering x3
Sure Gamble x3
Deja Vu x1

Hardware (7)
Akamatsu Mem Chip x2
Rabbit Hole x2
The Personal Touch x2
Grimoire x1

Program (16)
Battering Ram x2
Crypsis x1
Gordian Blade x2
Magnum Opus x2
Net Shield x2
Pipeline x2
Datasucker x2
Djinn x1
Parasite x2

Resource (6)
Aesop's Pawnshop x1
Armitage Codebusting x3
Sacrificial Construct x1
Ice Carver x1

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 15
Criminal: 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I might try the reverse, and pull Personal Touch into the Anarch deck to boost Mimic and Yog.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been having great success with my deck, called Straight and Narrow:http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3217-an-de...

It uses a single Mimic and Corroder in conjunction with 3 Special Orders. Topped off with a couple Stimhacks, it's been positively beastly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, tried out the deck I posted (changed the Deja Vu to Special Order), and it's not so hot. The virus stuff is cute but it doesn't make you win.

Ben's suggestion is a good one, of pulling in a couple alternate icebreakers along with 3X Special Order, and ignoring the virus angle. He adds Stimhacks, I might do Ice Carver instead. A diversity of breakers plus 3X Special Order is very good, it's how I run my Criminal deck and I love it.

Pulling in some Shaper tech like Personal Touch into the Anarch deck is another way to get to a similar place as the original poster's idea, and is something I'm definitely going to try.

I think trying to pull in efficient but limited breakers (Yog and Mimic) requires multiple copies and/or Special Order, else you may never see them. Meanwhile a Virus strategy really needs multiple copies of viruses, plus ideally a helper card or two (Grimoire, Djinn). It all adds up to too much influence, you can't do both at once.

My approach of focusing just on bringing in Virus tech left me too constrained by the inefficiency of Pipeline and the big MU of Battering Ram. Alternately, scaling back on the viruses and virus boosters will leave the virus strategy inefficient (w/o Grimoire) and not reliable (if only 2 copies of a virus, may never see it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyder Murphy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My original idea was to just run a typical Shaper strategy but using the two Anarch breakers (Mimic and Yog.0). the only Virus I was looking at (Excluding Crypis) was the Datasucker. Djinn was in there to alleviate MU issues as it can also host Magnum Opus.

Because, as mentioned if you want to run full on Virus tech you have to stay in faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.