Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Enjoying this immensely ... however a couple of things that are unclear when it comes to combat ..

First, at the Encounter phase ... I have the chance to choose to engage with ANY enemy, regardless of their threat strength. This is before all engagement checks.

What is the significance of making this choice, if any? Is it the difference between me engaging an enemy, and them engaging me? The reason I ask this because with the Forest Spider enemy, the text states, that he gains +1 fighting strength when 'he engages with a player'.

If I choose to engage him, before all engagements checks are made, then am I right in thinking that he doesn't gain his +1 ability?

Secondly, I was using Dunhere as one of my hero's .... can he use his special ability to target an enemy in the staging area twice with Unexpected Courage? Could this be the same enemy in one turn?

Also, clearly he has to be 'ready' ... but in theory could he attack an enemy in the target area even tho he himself is currently engaged?
ie. (With Unexpected Courage) he could defend, then ready, then attack an enemy in the staging area instead of the enemy he's just defended against)

Cheers

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Medalha
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You want to engage enemies to remove threat from the staging area and make questing easier. There's no difference between engaging an enemy and an enemy engaging you. The spider would gain +1 even if you engaged it.

2)I'm not sure, but I think you can only attack once with each character in a turn.

3)Don't know this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terefor wrote:
2)I'm not sure, but I think you can only attack once with each character in a turn.

Close.. Each enemy can only be attacked once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Each player gets to make one voluntary engagement. Then the first player brings down every monster that has a level less than the first player's threat. Then the second player picks up any stragglers, following threat limits, etc.

There are two big advantages: As Terefor pointed out, engaging an enemy removes it from the Staging Area and so its threat no longer counts when questing. That can be useful. Secondly, sometimes the first player simply doesn't have the fighting heroes/allies to handle all the enemies that might come down from the staging area, so having player 2/3/4 voluntarily engage an enemy helps spread the damage around. For example, in questing, you reveal 4 enemies with an engagement level less than 20. It's early in the game, and 4 enemies would crush player one, killing his one ally and 2 of his heroes. So players 2 and 3 voluntarily take 2 badguys to their area, now Player 1 isn't so much under the gun and survives to fight another day.

2) If Unexpected Courage allows him to refresh from being exhausted, yes (I don't remember the text of UC).

3) The Hero isn't really engaged with a badguy, the player is. When attacking, you exhaust all the characters that you are attacking with, exhaust characters and make your attack, then look at the villains left in your engagement area and repeat. If you have a card that lets you ready an exhausted hero, then that hero can attack again on a different badguy.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) During the Encounter Phase, you might want to optionally engage an enemy for a couple of reasons. You might prefer to take it on before your threat reaches the engagement costs, getting it out of the staging area. During multi-player games, one player might be better suited to handle enemies than the other, so optionally engaging one can help you control which player gets which enemy. And let me quote the rulebook here:

"Whether an enemy is engaged through an engagement
check, through a card effect, or through a player’s
choice, the end result is the same, with the enemy
and the player engaging one another. In all cases, the
player is considered to have engaged the enemy and the
enemy is considered to have engaged the player."

So, in your example, the Forest Spider would get the +1 bonus attack regardless of how you engaged him (just for that round).

2) During Combat, you can only declare an attack against each enemy once. If you're using Dunhere, you can attack 1 enemy in the staging area, ready him with Unexpected Courage, then attack a different enemy in the staging area. You cannot declare multiple attacks against the same enemy. (unless you've got a card like Quick Strike, whose effect instructs you to make an attack against any eligible enemy - this effect won't conflict with your normal Combat Phase declarations)

3) Yes, that's absolutely legal. Defending and attacking are two separate things, and one doesn't really affect the other. Dunhere can certainly defend an enemy's attack, ready with Unexpected Courage, then during the Attack step, choose to attack an enemy in the staging area.

EDIT: Just as I suspected... ninjaninja!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, those are all extremely helpful replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
unless you've got a card like Quick Strike, whose effect instructs you to make an attack against any eligible enemy - this effect won't conflict with your normal Combat Phase declarations)

Wow... I never realized this. I always assumed quickstrike just replaced your normal attack, with the only advantage being that you can attack prior to the enemy's attack.

This makes this card a WHOLE lot more awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One further question on combat, which would be good to confirm ..

Any enemies that remain after combat stay engaged for the next turn .. and the rules state to discard all shadow cards used in a turn ...

My question is, for those enemies that remain engaged, are new shadow cards drawn onto them next turn in the combat phase?

I'm thinking the answer is yes, but just looking for clarification ... cheers

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct, new shadow cards would be drawn for any remaining enemies you're engaged with for the next turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Then the first player brings down every monster that has a level less than the first player's threat. Then the second player picks up any stragglers, following threat limits, etc.

This is not correct. The first player gets one enemy, then the second player gets one enemy, and so on. See "Step 2: Engagement Checks" on page 16 of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shilinski wrote:
shnar wrote:
Then the first player brings down every monster that has a level less than the first player's threat. Then the second player picks up any stragglers, following threat limits, etc.

This is not correct. The first player gets one enemy, then the second player gets one enemy, and so on. See "Step 2: Engagement Checks" on page 16 of the rules.

Agreed. (Thanks for clearing that up).
And thanks everyone, I'm now a lot clearer thanks to all your kind responses.

No doubt i'm going to be checking a few rules as I discover new cards (working my way through each sphere on scenario 1 in order to discover whats in the core set ..

Is there any way in which you can search through the forum of the rules threads for key words ... ? I'm relatively new to BGG, and have noticed this game in particularly has a strong following with lots of threads, I just wonder if there's a quick way to cross reference the rules threads in order to search for what i'm looking for ... Let's say I have a few questions about another player card (which I do actually) .. rather than scroll through page after page of threads hoping to spot the correct title, is there a way I can just type in a search somewhere?

Cheers

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Medalha
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can click the "Search" button underneath "Forums" in the game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shilinski wrote:
shnar wrote:

Hm, looks like we've been playing it wrong. They do all eventually come down to attack (up to threat level) just one at a time. We thought it was one player at a time.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Terefor wrote:
1) You want to engage enemies to remove threat from the staging area and make questing easier.

Holy mother...I've been playing this horribly wrong. Just checked the rulebook, and I don't know why. I've been disengaging the enemies between turns, then reengaging. That's made those spiders a whole lot meaner, and questing a whole lot harder. No wonder the first scenario was kicking my ass so badly.

Can't believe I missed that an engaged enemy stays engaged and doesn't go back to the staging area...

Time to go play again with this new rule and not lose so badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:
Quote:
unless you've got a card like Quick Strike, whose effect instructs you to make an attack against any eligible enemy - this effect won't conflict with your normal Combat Phase declarations)

Wow... I never realized this. I always assumed quickstrike just replaced your normal attack, with the only advantage being that you can attack prior to the enemy's attack.

This makes this card a WHOLE lot more awesome!

Keep in mind that the character you use Quick Strike on still has to exhaust to attack. But...if you have a way to ready them, then that character will be able to attack the same enemy twice (once thru QS, once for normal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To Matt: I made that same mistake in my first few games as well. It was an offhand comment in thread on this board that let me know I was playing it wrong. Following this particular rule makes the game much easier. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoLene Ramm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:

Is there any way in which you can search through the forum of the rules threads for key words ... ? I'm relatively new to BGG, and have noticed this game in particularly has a strong following with lots of threads, I just wonder if there's a quick way to cross reference the rules threads in order to search for what i'm looking for ... Let's say I have a few questions about another player card (which I do actually) .. rather than scroll through page after page of threads hoping to spot the correct title, is there a way I can just type in a search somewhere?

I have had a lot of luck just typing my question into Google. Almost always, it will take me to links in BGG, which I can read through. Sometimes it goes to someone's blog post or a game publisher's website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.