Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering they are only similar thematically (adventure) I'd go with whatever intrigues you more. Do you like the idea of a classic-style adventure game where you explore the world and do essentially whatever you want? Or would you rather have it more scripted with more possibility for expansion?

The Lord of the Rings LCG will be cheaper initially, but this probably shouldn't fit into your thinking because the main reason you would want this game is to expand it with monthly packs. The difficulty level is good with this game, allowing you to feel the pressure without getting too frustrated.

I think Mage Knight is better with multiple people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the record as being no great fan of Mage Knight, but I think it's a lot more interesting than the LOTR card game. My most enjoyable games of MK have been solo. You'll find a lot to connect with as a Tolkien fan in LOTR, but the actual gameplay seemed pretty dry to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neesh neesh
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
thanks for the reply bryan, new to all of this, didn't consider that montly thing.

cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neesh neesh
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
oh no ! back on the fence now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Mage knight is so much better that this is a non contest. However, it is also more complicated and needs a good deal more play time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Mage knight, any time.
I have both, and I'm almost trading LotR for another game.

Mage knight is a wonderful puzzle, you will have tons of fun (once you pass through the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Recommendations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even a valid question...for replayability and an endless wave of quests, cards and deckbuilding fun...LOTR: The Card Game

I'm a boardgamer and do solo boardgaming from time to time, but nothing comes close to LOTR: The Card Game for solo play. The game is engineered for a great solo experience and delivers. Mage Knight is complex and convoluted leaving much to be desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the play time is so much different between the two games, I imagine this would be the deciding factor. As yourself if you are looking for a half hour solo experience or a three hour solo experience. The answer to that question will decide which game to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
Since the play time is so much different between the two games, I imagine this would be the deciding factor. As yourself if you are looking for a half hour solo experience or a three hour solo experience. The answer to that question will decide which game to get.
Except that you will probably not have a half hour solo experience. You may finish a game of LotR in 30 minutes, but then you will probably play another. And another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I'm throwing my hat in for Mage Knight Board Game. I haven't played The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game so I can't really speak to it but I have played Mage Knight solo and with multiple people.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've only played 1 solo game (plan to play another tonight) and just last night played my first 4 player game with people who didn't have any idea how to play it (and after we were done a 4+ hour session they wanted to set up another time to play again).

I think that Mage Knight is a great solo game. You have multiple scenarios that you play and 4 hero's to choose from. The randomness of the board/skills/actions/advanced actions/units/spells/artifact/etc. and the fact that when those are combined with the differences of the hero's make the re-playability of this game astounding.

The game is very complex and it does take some time to get to know the rules, so you should take that in to account, and the time to play a full game is going to be a lot longer than LotR, but overall (and probably because of those reasons) I think that Mage Knight is a very fulfilling game.

The fact that I'm still learning the game, making mistakes with rules, and wanting to play another game right away after I've completed one because I'm thinking about what I could have done better or should have played during specific turns to maximize my endgame score shows me that Mage Knight is a great game and something that I'll keep on playing over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Not even a valid question...for FFG owning your wallet and an endless wave of $$ spent on samey quests, cards and deckbuilding fun...LOTR: The Card Game

Fixedninja

Seriously, Lotr is repetitive, and boring with just the base set. One of the quests is waay to easy one is waaay to hard.
On the other hand MageKight is overpriced, imo, but a MUCH better game overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch Jones
England
Telford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I solo game a lot.

I vote for LotR. Love the art and theme. Can be difficult at times though playing as a solitaire (one set of heroes).

If it's a price comparison then MK as LotR is an LCG and can become costly.

I think Mage Knight is way over-hyped! I keep playing to try to build the same enthusiasm that I see on here - to no avail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both.

Mage Wars is my choice for solo play and for two players, hands down.

Mage Wars has a solid theme, great art, high quality gameset pieces, and an enjoyable mechanic that allows you to choose your character from a variety of Schools of Magic. This gives the theme depth and the game, replayability and variety.

The characters range from nasty, evil to good. I often play the good Priestess, who has a cohort of Angels, Paladins, and flying creatures and healers against the nasty, evil curse-y Warlock. And the angel characters with their penchant for self sacrifice battling a range of demons give you an ethos like that of LotR. These polar opposites keep the solo game interesting and competitive. And the flying characters versus the blood cursed demons is really exciting.

The deckbuilding/Spell Book mechanic is quite enjoyable, and there are plenty of cards (300+) for anything you'd want solo or two player. The suggested decks make getting started with that first game really easy.

Although there isn't any dungeon crawling, the mage battle is engaging, fast moving, balanced with just enough of a luck mechanic to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Most importantly, once you buy the game, you're not shelling out money constantly to keep up with the Endless Card Hoard that is the collectible (aka living) card game. My nephews played MtG and the expense became ridiculous.

LotR is a gorgeous looking game, but solo play just didn't work well for me, and even with two players, it took a long time to get the game started and for anything with any substance at all to happen. With Mage Wars, you get going right away. And it's just plain fun.

Another two cents' worth. I hope you find the game that's perfect for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meganekko Matsura
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars. Better mechanic for solo play. Use the suggested spell books to get started.

This game moves. There are lots of cards to choose from, and great character categories-Wizard, Warlock, Priestess, Beastmaster.

Lots of choices and you won't get bored with repeated playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
When did Mage Wars get added to the discussion?

I own Mage Knight and LotR and I wonder if you can't have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, Mage Knight people, stand to the left. Now, LotR people, stand on the right. Mage Wars people... where the hell did you come from? Get with the program! Okay, now MK vs. LotR... FIGHT!

Or not. They are targeted at different crowds. I of course prefer one over the other, but that's not helpful. What's helpful is identifying what type of game you think you'd like more. Puzzle/adventure or deckbuilding/fight the system.

If you do want my personal opinion, I found LotR to be completely unforgiving to solo players (as in, playing one deck). You can, of course, play two decks and get a great solo experience, but there was something about playing two decks myself that just didn't settle right with me, but you might not have that same reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you're spending a lot of money and time by yourself, there's no reason not to learn Magic Realm which, for my cash, beats the pants off of either game, solo or in groups. Plus you can play it for free on the computer, either solo or against remote opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I felt combat in MK was stale. You could already tell if the monster will cause problem for you or not. There is no surprise -- in combat. Of all aspects of the game (or adventuring for that matter), combat should not feel predictable. Combat being a 'life-or-death situation' should feel 'less predictable'. Not in MK.

Also, after 6-7 games, I felt that the enemies are just there patiently waiting for the mage knights to come over when they are powerful enough to kill the enemies. But before that, the enemies will just quietly and leave you alone. Very stale, very predictable, no unpredictability at all. No suspense, no excitement.

I like optimization and doing the best I could with what I have. I love puzzle solving. But if the combat is totally predictable, that's a big blow to my excitement. Unlike Lord of the Rings the card game (with shadow cards), you don't know 100% how the combat will play out. And the monsters don't wait for you to get powerful -- they could engage you, or throw a curve ball to your carefully optimized plan for your turn. Not in Mage Knight.

I was just asking my wife if I made a wrong choice in buying MK game. After all the hype, I did buy MK but while waiting for the game to arrive, I watched the MK tutorial (Ricky Royal's) on youtube and got to see the game play. Right then, I thought to myself 'that's it?' Too late, I already bought the game. I'm seriously wondering if 4.5 hrs of playing solo MK is worth the time.

LotR LCG is hard, sometimes frustratingly hard. And it could get expensive with the expansion packs.

But if you were to ask me what I would rather play or would enjoy more, I'd say LotR lcg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both (well, all three) are great games!

Quite different games, too.

Mage Knight has a map you move around on, while exploring, adventuring, and getting stronger to be able to tackle the final obstacles.

Lord of the Rings has dozens of different scenarios and a big part of the game is building your own decks, finding strategies to beat the various scenarios.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skipsizemore wrote:
As long as you're spending a lot of money and time by yourself, there's no reason not to learn Magic Realm which, for my cash, beats the pants off of either game, solo or in groups. Plus you can play it for free on the computer, either solo or against remote opponents.

Please do tell where can I get/play it on my computer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To throw a spanner in the works, I wonder if you'd consider a third game Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game.
Gets a lot of comparison to LotR and even some to Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Not even a valid question...for replayability and an endless wave of quests, cards and deckbuilding fun...LOTR: The Card Game

I'm a boardgamer and do solo boardgaming from time to time, but nothing comes close to LOTR: The Card Game for solo play. The game is engineered for a great solo experience and delivers. Mage Knight is complex and convoluted leaving much to be desired.

MK is what LotR wants to be when it grows up. Yes, you can get greater replay ability if you are willing to invest all the more money and time into it, but it also begs the question of how much replay do you really need and is it worth the amount of time you need to use those extra cards? You certainly don't need everything that has come out for LotR, and MK has a lot of content as well.

FYI, I own both and both are in my Top 35, but MK is a far better achievement in design. The solitaire gamers guild rank their favorite solo games every year and so far MK has won every time, and it isn't close.

2015 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games

Note the number of stars LotR has with it getting the second most although being in 4th. Now, see how many MK has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.