Subject: Official Tournaments rules really works? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darko
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somebody actually thinks that 65 minutes per two games is sufficient to end the match avoiding a tie? Any guessing about that from people that have played a tournament?
We are concert about that at the moment. We see that it can be played in an hour if we use the classificatory sistem ( if you see that you dont have any chance of winning the match, your opponent automately wins). But we are not sure if we can end the two games before the time running out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
At the GenCon tournament 65 minutes seemed to be the perfect amount of time. There were 2-4 matches or so that were pushed to the time limited but everyone else seemed to do fine under these time constraints. If worse comes to worse you could always up the time limit to 75 minutes per the Fantasy Flight organized play rules.

It did seem like a super short amount of time but if the tournament participants understand it's business and there's no time for stalling then the games really do end quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My games always last around 30 minutes... and that's even with people who are still learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Experience + Tuned Decks = Most will be fine with 65 minutes for the whole match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't this one be in the Rules forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darko
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think so. Because it is not a rule question. It about the tournament rule itself. But it's ok, maybe this would not be here.

Any case: Brady, when you say that your games are 30 minutes long, are you talking about a game or a match (2 games)?

Jeremy: Our decks are fine tuned and our plays are around 60 minutes, but we are using the final match rules (if you know you're gonna to lose the game, because pints difference are impossible to reach, you automatically lose). Anyway happy to see that tournament rules just work. As i said we are little concern about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are people who play faster, and people who play slower. The match rules accomodate faster players (of course), and average players, and make sure that those don't have to wait too long for slower players.

If you play at your pace with friends, and they aren't concerned about playing speed either, then playing more than 60 minutes for a game is perfectly fine. In a tournament setting though, it's not, because there's a time limit to how long the tournament can go overall, and faster players don't want to spend most of their time waiting for relatively slow ones.

I've known one player back when I played the WoW TCG who would regularly use two or three times as long as others for his games. He won his fair share, but took a very considerate approach to everything. That's not a bad thing, but not something that makes him a player that would have a lot of fun at tournaments with time pressure.

In other words, you might be about to realize that you're an AP prone player after all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frizzler
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of Netrunner tournaments (I mean the original game) and the time limit was always 90 minutes for a match.
That was sufficient for about 80 % of the games; but consider that the long matches are mostly the most thrilling ones. And if such a game has to be cut, it is really a pity.
I don't think the modifications that FFG introduced to the game speeded it up in any way; that is why I personally would rather use a time limit of 90 minutes per match instead of only 65.
Another reason for a longer time limit is that during a tournament day, it doesn't matter if you have a break between two matches, waiting for other games to be completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.