Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Does anyone know if a full version of Strat o Matic Baseball is in the works for the iPad?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Goyette
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
The company set a vague goal of releasing an iPad version some point in the future at the 50th anniversary. There has been no official discussion of the topic since, but you can find SOM's "3 minute" baseball on iTunes. I agree with those who feel the shoddy presentation of 3 minute baseball is a step in the wrong direction.

Being new to BGG, I was impressed to see the quantity of iOS ports coming out for the most popular games. It just makes sense to take advantage of technology and present these wonderful games on the digital tabletop. Seeing how SOM has been a popular game for five decades, I'm sure they could have some success as well. But the company has been painfully slow in adapting to technology, so I'm not surprised.

I wonder if pricing isn't a hurdle as well. They sell the Windows version of the game for $39.95, and each past season you want to play costs $23.00. I could buy the iOS version of all the top rated Euro games for the same price.

Anyway, check out stratfanforum.com/forums for further discussion. This topic comes up constantly on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing there are already decent baseball management simulators out there for baseball on the iOS already. I know I have a soccer manager and cricket manager simulator on my iPad. Both of them are very good. Maybe they don't want to dip into an already established market? Their name recognition would certainly help though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the info. Wish they would let everyone know if there is going to be an iPad version. I hate to buy the windows version if there is an iPad version in the works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Goyette
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I wouldn't hold your breath. SOM is really slow at adapting to technology. Just go with the Windows version if you're itching to play on the computer.

Do you play C&D? If not, that's where I'd suggest you start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased SOM Baseball and Football recently and have only played a few times. I used to play As a kid with my friends set and recently got the itch to play again. Was looking to get a computer version so I can play more often, but was getting the impression an iPad version may be a ways off, or never be released.

I'm not sure what C&D is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Goyette
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Shorthand for "Cards & Dice", or playing the non-computer version of the game. I'd go to www.stratfanforum.com/forums, sign-up, and start poking around there. SOM has the largest quantity of baseball players (by far), and also a large contingent of loyal football players, and they are well represented at the forums.

The best way to get into playing more games using the computer games is to join a league. Playing the computer games solitaire can devolve in to "click and see what happens" if you don't have something else engaging you in it (like a competitive league or a solo replay project you've been dying to complete).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks. I will look into C&D play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.