Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it says in the rules that you must use your dove/peace token if you have one the next time military conflict occurs.

What about if you have 2 peace tokens - are both consumed at the end of the age or are you just forced to use one this round and then forced to use your second the next round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know they are both consumed this round...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
I believe it says in the rules that you must use your dove/peace token if you have one the next time military conflict occurs.

What about if you have 2 peace tokens - are both consumed at the end of the age or are you just forced to use one this round and then forced to use your second the next round?

You use one and save one as per the rules:

Clarifications :
-  A player can take multiple Diplomacy tokens but MUST discard one during each Conflict resolution.

-  A player who has a Diplomacy token MUST use it during the next conflict phase(even if that player is militarily stronger than the neighboring players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
On a somewhat related topic, is it mandatory to take the peace token, if you build something that grants you the token? Can you elect to forgo taking the token? I assume that you have to take it, because it doesn't say that you "may" take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
On a somewhat related topic, is it mandatory to take the peace token, if you build something that grants you the token? Can you elect to forgo taking the token? I assume that you have to take it, because it doesn't say that you "may" take it.

Yep. Don't want it? Then don't build it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
freddieyu wrote:
hobbes27 wrote:

Yep. Don't want it? Then don't build it.

Except that if you are the one wonder that gets peace tokens when you build your stages, it really becomes a handicap. Because it deters you from a military strategy. Not a big fan of that wonder because of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. You can always use the red cards for other stuff then ( ie build your wonder). You can win without a single shield you know...and not even with science. In my last game (4p) I won by going heavy with blue, black, and yellow. With Ephesos as my city I amassed over 30 coins by game's end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Seems like someone is completely missing the point.

You are right you can win without a single shield... usually cause your opponents are grossly over investing in them to beat each other. You must react to the current situation and how your opponent's are playing.

If you never invest in shields and your neighbors invest in 1 shield each I am willing to bet that your neighbors will beat you most of the time. You cannot expect to decide before the game even begins that you are not going to play a military strategy and expect to do well.

The problem with Byzantium (the wonder he is talking about) is that this is exactly what it expects you to do. It expects you to broadcast loud and clear that you aren't playing a military strategy... or you aren't building your wonder.

Most Wonders are extremely flexible and give you different means of achieving your points. Some like Babylon are particularly good at one route. Byzantium is the only wonder thus far that forces you to choose between 2 different routs (Military or Wonder points) and gives absolutely no leeway to go the other one once you've started down one path or the other. Seriously Byzantium should have given players an alternative choice to taking the peace token. Of the official wonders it is by a long shot my least favorite (albiet in 3 player it is actually a pretty good wonder cause you screw over everybody's military).

I played Byzantium recently and had neighbors who weren't investing in military so I was. It was the first time I ever finished the game without completing a stage of my Wonder. I was forced to discard for 3 coins far more often than I normally do cause building my wonder would cost me military points. Oh and I ended up losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Byzantium A grants you only 1 peace token, so if you drew that wonder and side (in our games we let each player choose which side) then I would play side A and try to build up to the 2nd stage in the first age. This frees you up to compete in the next 2 ages, where the points for military gain are greater.

The consensus in several threads is that Byzantium is one of the weakest wonders, yet I am not convinced it is an automatic autofail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
Well, Byzantium A grants you only 1 peace token, so if you drew that wonder and side (in our games we let each player choose which side) then I would play side A and try to build up to the 2nd stage in the first age. This frees you up to compete in the next 2 ages, where the points for military gain are greater.

The consensus in several threads is that Byzantium is one of the weakest wonders, yet I am not convinced it is an automatic autofail.

I just won tonight with my first play with Byzantium B in a 5 player game, building the 2 wonder stages in ages II and III, taking the hit in Age I for 2 negative points (and my opponents only getting 1 point each). It allowed for a strong commerce strategy, along with Science, that brought me the win, with no military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.