Subject: About unit combat declaration procedure. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauro Fiorelli
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I order a unit for combat (ranged or close), do I also have to declare which enemy unit will be involved in the combat?
(For example: "this Heavy_Inf unit attacks in close combat that Auxilia_Inf unit or this Light_Inf unit attack in ranged combat that Medium_Cav unit").

If so, what happen if during the combat phase one enemy unit retreats adjacent to one of my unit that I have previously declared for ranged combat? Does my unit “switch” to close combat?

Thanks
Mauro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First you activate units.
Second you move some activated units, one by one, in any order.
Third you combat with some activated units, one by one, in any order.

You declare which unit combats and actually make the combat for each unit on the third step and one by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Fiorelli
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:

You declare which unit combats and actually make the combat for each unit on the third step and one by one.

This is clear but my questions are slightly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Gedeone wrote:
If so, what happen if during the combat phase one enemy unit retreats adjacent to one of my unit that I have previously declared for ranged combat? Does my unit switch to close combat?

You do not "previously declare" anything. As Leo said, you order units. Then you move them. And finally you declare their targets and resolve the combat one by one.

That is a common mistake, sometimes I play with people that in the order phase say "I order this unit to attack that one", and I remind them that they don't need to tell what they will do until the combat phase, when the unit's turn will come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Clausen
Denmark
København Ø
Perplexed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gedeone wrote:
alerce wrote:

But it answers your question

Quote:
If so, what happen if during the combat phase one enemy unit retreats adjacent to one of my unit that I have previously declared for ranged combat? Does my unit “switch” to close combat?

As you declare combat one unit at a time there is no "switch" per se.

/David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gedeone wrote:
They were answered implicitly.
Anyway hoping to be clearer.

Gedeone wrote:
When I order a unit for combat (ranged or close), do I also have to declare which enemy unit will be involved in the combat?
No.
First you activate, then move, then combat (declaration of combat is part of combat).

Gedeone wrote:
You declare a units target at the moment of it's combat. So you don't declare a units target before other units combat. Neither "previous declaration", nor "switching" has sense in this context.
E.g. A involves in close combat with Z, now Z retreats and gets adjacent to B. Now B involves in close combat with Z (you had not previoulsy declared other target).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Fiorelli
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect, very clear.

No more doubts about it.

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to mark the units I am ordering.

If I play an order 2 card I will place a die on each unit's hex.
I then move the units (or not), and then resolve my attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No extra equipment needed-- just alter the blocks for 'ordered' units.

If your blocks are standing up, lay one sideways to indicate a unit is ordered. (or vice versa)

For ranged fire units that don't move, lay 2 blocks down.

As you finish combat, replace the blocks and you'll know when you are done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.