Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about getting a game in which I get to be the dungeon master or keeper. In our club, one of the other members already has Descent 2nd Ed and Mansions of Madness (a double boohoo for me, as I will not get to be keeper for either of those).

I'd like a game that can play 'about 4 people (but more or less is fine)', something with some narrative, and where I have control / the secret information / get to steer the story etc etc. I like Fantasy themes, and also investigating and exploring, mysteries etc (although other themes are fine).

What can people recommend?
CK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you get to be keeper for either of those. The rules do not state that only the owner of the game gets to be keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your friend sounds like a d!ck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Story realms is on kickstarter and it sounds like it has everything you want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, my friend is not a d!ck, he's a really good DM, but it's his thing and he likes doing it - he comes to games because he likes to DM. I haven't got a problem with that, but I'd like a go myself with a game that I owned and know the rules to, hence the post to see what options there are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations is a pretty good game of this type. It's a science fiction setting with players on board a starship having various adventures as they roam the cosmos.

Have you tried Roleplaying games instead of boardgames? Seems to me you would enjoy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played D&D 4th Ed, and we'll be getting into D&D Next from this week onwards, but I'd like to perhaps have a board game that is a little less involved than this that I could also play with an audience that perhaps wouldn't neccessarily sit down to an all-out RPG. I agree that what I am looking at is on the boundary between board games and RPGs.

My sister really likes Betrayal at the House on the Hill and D&D Drizzt, and we have Discworld which my mother likes as she has read the books (I think the card art is amazing, but some of the gameplay is not really congruous with discworld as I imagined it). I suppose I was looking for something the next step from this (which was why I'd originally thought of Descent and MoM, but got pipped to it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, you may also want to consider games where one player is against the rest. This is because you have more options to choose from. Games like Scotland Yard or Fury of Dracula (second edition) fit into this category.

Another possibility would be Ghost Stories with the Ghost Stories: Black Secret expansion. It allows one player to control the enemies and the rest to cooperate and try to win.

Hope this helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have Fury of Dracula (which I like a lot, and have had a few goes at being Dracula), and the club has Ghost Stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well he has got the best two DM games in my opinion. You can always go a route like Last Night on Earth and insist on always being the Zombies, or Letters from Whitechapel and insist on always being Jack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm - I suspected as much! Maybe I just need my own copy of Descent and play it on non-club nights.

LNOE is already owned in the club. I'd not bought LfW as I have Fury of Dracula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Story realms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.