Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may not get many replies here. Euro gamers views on Monopoly are typically unsuitable for family viewing, so admitting that a game shares elements with it is like nominating that game for destruction.

If you play Settlers with the predetermined setup you can sit down and play. Of course, if you try to buy anything you will need some rules explanation- but that is true of Monopoly too.

Attila works if someone who has played before goes first.

Actually I think Evo qualifies too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tongiaki is a game you can just start playing and explain how it works as you go. Players will know how to play after a couple of turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride, without a doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Ticket to Ride
yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Ticket to Ride, without a doubt.

indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange... he owns it. I guess he's looking for other suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll never get a Eurogame as quick to learn as Monopoly because of the way Monopoly is played. Monopoly is inherited knowledge, that is people sit down with parents and family and they play based on what they remember or what parents teach them (my Dad taught me how to play Monopoly and I never read the book). Some folks may reference the rulebook to answer rule disputes, but otherwise its all from memory or what is taught by the family elder. This is why new games still don't compete with Monopoly and other traditional games in the non-gamers household: reading rules for them is "work" and people only want to learn games that someone can teach them and they saw being played as children.

That said two excellent roll and move Eurogames that I've enjoyed are Basari and Tuchulcha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
You'll never get a Eurogame as quick to learn as Monopoly because of the way Monopoly is played. Monopoly is inherited knowledge, that is people sit down with parents and family and they play based on what they remember or what parents teach them (my Dad taught me how to play Monopoly and I never read the book). Some folks may reference the rulebook to answer rule disputes, but otherwise its all from memory or what is taught by the family elder. This is why new games still don't compete with Monopoly and other traditional games in the non-gamers household: reading rules for them is "work" and people only want to learn games that someone can teach them and they saw being played as children.

This hits the nail on the head
We learn Monopoly from our parents and/or older brothers and sisters--and they usually get numerous rules either:
- wrong (if you fail to collect rent its due until the SECOND player after the landee rolls the dice),
- left out (How many you auction o property after they aren't immediately purchased or 10% interest when you pay back a mortgage)
- added (Free Parking Jackpot).

The game is much better when played according to the rules in the rulebook--if you can find them. Usually they are lost too.

Though maybe in our families some other game will take the place of Monopoly and be transmitted by inherited knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other possibilities:

Cartagena
Pingvinas (Hey! That's My Fish!)
Verflixxt! (That's Life!)
Coloretto
6 Nimmt

Medina - This one is deeper than it looks, but you could almost teach it on the fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
I think nearest to monopoly is Hotel.
http://boardgamegeek.com/game/1502
Very easy even for kids, short Rules and movement by dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to stand by Evo.

Monopoly with the rules in the Rulebook is not a much better game. At least, not if you think much better implies 2 or more rating points better. IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto and 6 Nimmt.

Its not a Euro...but Fluxx is pretty much sit down and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the filler level of play, I'd add High Society and Guillotine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,yes Fluxx is. Hey, we can add Tic-Tac-Toe, Snakes and Ladders and Candyland to the list on that basis. Need I go on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob weaver
United States
Dayville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
2 of my favorite games with rules that are easily understood because they make sense with the theme of the game: o zoo le mio (plays well with 2-4 and learn as you go) and san marco (3-4 meant for 3, can't reccommend with 4, more explanation to begin with but then little to no rule reviews once playing). if you found the rules for ticket to ride what you are looking for i have found these two with new players to take less explaining and with fewer questions asked once playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ra.

All information public so you can advise a player as you go but leave decisions up to him.
Only two choices at any one time (if you don't have a god tile).
Recently re-released.

Now is it fluffy? . . . not sure what is meant by that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a true Euro. But if you are looking to help people make the transition, try I'm the Boss! It starts with the roll and move mechanic, which people are familiar with already, and then adds some simple action cards, which will also not seem too far out of the realm of American games. Then it adds some really nice screwage and negotiation - I wouldn't suggest it for overly sensitive types, but it's great for moving people up, and takes about a minute to explain the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Power Grid.

No, really, this is a game that has become one of my favorite gateways, and practically every single person I teach this to says at some point "you know, this reminds me very much of Monopoly" (and they mean it positively of course).

It's easy to pick up and get into, easy to teach, fun to play, approachable, and just seems to "click" with a lot people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
old bag
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword & Skull, not a Euro, but lots of comments on it liking it to Talisman/Monopoly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tallyhoyall wrote:
Sword & Skull, not a Euro, but lots of comments on it liking it to Talisman/Monopoly

Agreed. This may be a best choice. Which makes me wonder... why does it have to be a "Euro"? If it's a game and it's enjoyed and generates more interest in the new players, is it less of a positive experience if it wasn't created by a European designer? Or designed and produced in such a manner to be labeled "Euro"?

Not all good wine comes with a cork, not all good beer comes in a brown bottle... games are like that aren't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen Kuipers
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tornadog wrote:
I agree TTR belongs here which is why it was one of the first games I got. Any more???

Elfenland
Dragonland
Wolly Bully (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3243/Guerre+des+Moutons%2C...)
Blokus
Clans
Cartegena
Alhamabra
Pirate's Cove
Diamant
Fist of Dragonstones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.