Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a rare occurrence, but it seems that it would be possible to run out of cards in the deck when playing with 7 or 8 players, due to the way card flow works.

For example: 7 players all meld Indian Chief (7 cards). That's 49 cards on the table. They each have one card in-hand, so 7 more there. 49+7=56 cards. There are 104 cards in the deck. 104-56=48 : one card less than the 49 needed to replenish hands before mixing the cards on the table into the deck.

Other possibilities: 8 players meld either Indian Chief, Doctor, or a mix of the two.

If this came up, I guess it would work to replenish as many players as possible and then shuffle the melds and replenish the rest. Or the game could be played with 3 decks when there are 7 or 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this happens I would just shuffle the melds before dealing out any cards. Another alternative would be to split up the remaining cards evenly among the players then reshuffle any remaining cards with the melds and deal from that to bring hands back up to eight. I wouldn't go to three decks unless you have more players than eight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is a situation that had never occurred to me. The flow of the game does make it unlikely to occur, particularly since your LAST meld of the game (the one there's no need to refill hands after) tends to be one of the big-card melds.

Have you ever actually seen this happen? I never have, but you're right, it's not impossible!

I think J. Riddell's suggestion of dealing out the deck as usual and then shuffling the discards to finish the necessary (avoiding giving any single player more than one card from the discards) is a sensible one.

Thanks for your enthusiasm for the game!

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.