Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Why 'click'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So far I really like the look and feel of the new edition, but I can't wrap my mind around one thing...my personal awkwardness around seeing the use of the word 'click' to describe an action.

I thought I was up to speed on all computer related nerdom, but what's the basis for use of this term? Please tell me it's not a reference to something as silly as dueling mouse clicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a portmanteau of "clock" and "tick." Maybe.

(I'm guessing that because the click symbol looks like a clock)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes time to click your mouse on the computer. Reminds me of the 'actions per second' metrics in RTS games like Starcraft.

I think they never mention "click" in cards and instead just use the clock symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Needless to say I'm not that bent out of shape about it, but why oh why didn't they just call it an action??????

I can see it now...click is going to become part of our vocabulary at the table...you can't escape it...it's all over the cards...after a particularly heated game we might tell our opponent to 'Click off!' or 'Go click yourself!'. I don't like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
AMartin56 wrote:
...after a particularly heated game we might tell our opponent to 'Click off!' or 'Go click yourself!'. I don't like it!

I'm beginning to like the change more now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
1awesomeguy wrote:
It takes time to click your mouse on the computer. Reminds me of the 'actions per second' metrics in RTS games like Starcraft.

But yeah, I prefer 'action' too. Already so many unique/weird words in Netrunner when teaching new players.

Thank you for the reply. But if that's true it just makes it worse. Am I to believe that in a world where I can be flatlined by black ice on a run that I'm still clicking a mouse? Hopefully at a faster pace than the corporate sysop nerd on the other end of the net is clicking is? Sounds too much like a cyber version of Hungry Hungry Hippos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AMartin56 wrote:
Needless to say I'm not that bent out of shape about it, but why oh why didn't they just call it an action??????

Because action is used to describe something else. There are things that cost clicks that are not actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they wanted to deliberately avoid the use of the word "action" so that they had some space for effects like "Each time a runner takes an action..." meaning any paid ability..

Or they just wanted to lay the theme on thick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
The rules distinguish between click and action. Action is timing related term, where click is a resource to be gained/spent/lost. While this vaguely ambiguous language didn't hamper the classic version(that I recall), I can see the need to make distinction in expansion design.

looking at it thematically, click can't refer to a mouse click, it represents a much longer amount of time, easily hours. I'm inclined to believe it's the same scale at the "time" currency used in Android, representing 2-3 hours.

thinking about it though, it's weird a game of digital conflict makes subtle reference to an analog device. they could have called it something more "cyber" sounding, but oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people I know, even on devices without a mouse or pointer, use 'click' to describe interacting with something on the screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the reason they didn't call it an action is because there are things you can do that don't cost a click, and it would be natural for someone to call anything you can do an 'action'.

Really, clicks are a resource, a resource which is spent for most 'major' actions.

The differentiation is important, intuitively. For example, a new player might consider activating the ability of Data Raven, by spending a hosted power counter, an "action". The same player might consider activating Melange Mining an "action". The former costs no clicks, and the latter costs 3. Both of them are single, discrete actions a player might take on their turn, though.

As for why the word "click" specifically? You got me. I don't like it either. I just call them "actions". whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no inside knowledge of the design of the new edition but I would hazard to guess that the term "click" was used due to the ubiquity of the phrase, "one click" to mean easy and fast. A "click" is, in the parlance of our digital times, the fastest you can do something. One-click shopping. One-click publishing. One-click...well, maybe two or three clicks for *that*. Anyway, it is very possible that in a future world so defined by it's technology, the term click would come to mean the smallest measurement of time in which something could be done.

I like it.

You, however, don't need to use the term at all. I only looked through my two decks just now, but I didn't see the actual word "click" on any of them, just the little clock symbol, as pointed out above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks to those that point out the difference between action and 'click' in the new version. I'm a veteran of the original and still have a ton of the old cards, but haven't completely read the manual for the new edition yet. I should point out that if the term 'click' is defined/used in the 'fluff' sections of the manual I won't see it either. I don't mind this new version being placed in the 'Android' universe (despite the original game that started it all not having been received all that well IMO) but it seems like a good portion of the manual is fluff and life is too short to be reading all that stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suit yourself. I liked the fluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Scud-O wrote:
I have no inside knowledge of the design of the new edition but I would hazard to guess that the term "click" was used due to the ubiquity of the phrase, "one click" to mean easy and fast. A "click" is, in the parlance of our digital times, the fastest you can do something. One-click shopping. One-click publishing. One-click...well, maybe two or three clicks for *that*. Anyway, it is very possible that in a future world so defined by it's technology, the term click would come to mean the smallest measurement of time in which something could be done.

I like it.

You, however, don't need to use the term at all. I only looked through my two decks just now, but I didn't see the actual word "click" on any of them, just the little clock symbol, as pointed out above.

I like this explanation but could have sworn I saw the use of the word on a few of the cards. I'll have to look again. if the cards are free of this 'taint' there will eventually come a time where we no longer reference the rules and I can call a click whatever I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go nuts. I went to cardgamedb and searched for the word "click" in the entire core set, and no card uses that word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
AMartin56 wrote:
Scud-O wrote:

I like it.

I like this explanation but could have sworn I saw the use of the word on a few of the cards. I'll have to look again. if the cards are free of this 'taint' there will eventually come a time where we no longer reference the rules and I can call a click whatever I like.

And your opponents will look at you wondering what the heck you're talking about because 'click' has already 'stuck'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It did not strike me till now, because a click in Czech is used as a measure of time - it is one swing of the clock pendulum.
I know that here the click is taking much more time (hours sometimes) but it is nicely related to time... until this thread when I realized that in English it does not mean this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Edwards
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we will collectively be known as "Click Heads" instead of "Netrunner players".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Motes
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For some reason I was thinking that it was terminology that came from Android... Is that not the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AMartin56 wrote:
Am I to believe that in a world where I can be flatlined by black ice on a run that I'm still clicking a mouse?

The art leads us to believe everybody in the future still uses wires, so yeah I guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steiger
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Robotron5673 wrote:
Perhaps we will collectively be known as "Click Heads" instead of "Netrunner players".

I would proudly be known as a 'Clicker,' especially since it's a derogatory slur against:
a) MMO players who use the mouse to click on action bars, instead of hotkeying everything; and
b) robots and androids in Alan Moore's 'Top 10' graphic novels.

I think either definition is an appropriate badge of honor for A:NR players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
AMartin56 wrote:
Am I to believe that in a world where I can be flatlined by black ice on a run that I'm still clicking a mouse?

The art leads us to believe everybody in the future still uses wires, so yeah I guess?

Wireless communications are easy as crap to hack, since they're everywhere. Wired, on the other hand, requires that you find somewhere solid to hook in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
AMartin56 wrote:

Wireless communications are easy as crap to hack, since they're everywhere. Wired, on the other hand, requires that you find somewhere solid to hook in.

Right, that won't change in the next several decades, I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
AMartin56 wrote:

Right, that won't change in the next several decades, I'm sure.

If you are broadcasting a wireless signal, you are broadcasting your physical location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.