Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received an email from the Mage Wars people saying that the copy I pre-ordered at Gencon has been shipped (and will likely be here tomorrow!)

Woo hoo!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats! i look forward to having more people to talk with about this game, and more people to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCarson
United States
Brunswick Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
Go Army!
badge
Beat Navy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, according to UPS, mine was just delivered! surprise

Not feeling good...may have to leave work.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
legendno6 wrote:
Not feeling good...may have to leave work.whistle

Yeah, that sounds serious. I'm sure your co-workers wouldn't want you to get them sick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolay Kamishev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If only i can say the same. Ehhh Europe have to wait a little bit more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! Glad to hear that it will be widely available soon, I had my second game last night and I think this one will take off in a big way.

A bit of a steep learning curve for the first rounds of the first game but it becomes natural really quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you feel the learning curve is worse than MTG? ive been playing magiv for years and it seemed i didnt have much learning curve just had to follow the order of play closely the first few games and constantly look up what the traits were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
do you feel the learning curve is worse than MTG? ive been playing magiv for years and it seemed i didnt have much learning curve just had to follow the order of play closely the first few games and constantly look up what the traits were.

Actually that last statement is just about exactly my experience with Mage Wars. Both games I've played were against different people, first game for them in both cases, and they were about the same as well.

The game mechanics make perfect sense, it is the abundance of keywords/traits and the sheer number of cards to consider from the first turn that creates a somewhat steep learning curve. Both players had instances of trying to do things that wouldn't work because they missed a targeting requirement or something similar.

I don't think it's going to send many people away unless they are the type that expects to do well on their first play of a game. If you enter this with the expectation that it's a learning game, you'll make dumb mistakes and likely lose, well then it will go over well.

I have a bit of MtG experience as did both of my opponents, and I think this helps somewhat in terms of understanding traits and mana management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree although mana management in mage wars is far easier than magic.

i guess i dont really consider learning the traits on the cards part of the learning curve. if i pick up a new set of magic i will have new traits and keywords to remember and learn to deal with, but i wouldnt call that part of the learning curve of magic.

the great thing about this game is once the learning curve is down, and the traits and such are down. new strategies are continuously unfolding for me. i will look at a card and pass it up as average the first 5 decks i make, then on the 6th i take another look at it and ..... Aha! i find some use i didnt see before or some combo.

once the game is in wider availability and the card list grows i cant wait to see what people start comming up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell this applies only to people who ordered directly from them. Any timeline on when OLGS and FLGS will have them available or be able to ship them out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the official street date is the 21st, so this friday it should be on shelves or being shipped from online stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke850 wrote:
the official street date is the 21st, so this friday it should be on shelves or being shipped from online stores.

ok, thanks. Waiting on this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.