Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just bought this on sale at Target last night. I had been looking at it for a while and the sale price finally pushed me into the Abyss. I am hoping to maybe be able to play it this weekend with 3 other guys. I have read threw the Master rules and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how we should play our first game. Any particular scenario, or premade armies that would be fair.

Thanks for the help all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually just jump in laugh

Set up a map (there are a ton you can find here on the geek, just check first to make sure you don't need 8 master sets) and go to town drafting. I think the game plays quickly enough that you could play on whatever map a few times with new drafts each round. Playing with each army gives you a good idea what each army can do (or if they suck given certain conditions).

Just don't bother starting with the simple rules with plans to move to the "advanced" - just play the advanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are all accustomed to miniatures gaming I'd just start with the basic "last man standing" scenario. Until you know the minis and their powers better I don't think more complex scenarios are the way to begin. Some of the master teams are "duds" to start out, like the Zettians, or difficult to play well, but just play on through. You'll realize than most of the minis have their place at some time given varieties of maps and scanarios you'll try out later.

Be careful about your use of glyphs. They can swing the game in a very unbalanced way --and turn off new players--if not used well.

But I second that the "advanced" rules are the place to start. Even kids on the lower end of the recommended age range who I have observed don't much enjoy the basic rules because they don't include the interesting powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would do as stated above. Start with the Basic game. Get aquainted with movement, attack, etc. We played 4 or 5 basic games when we got it last Christmas and then we went to the Advanced. After that...plan on spending lots of money if you like it. I've spent over $250 since then. Then again, I love games, especially this type, and I have to have all the expansions of anything I start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they guys that I will be playing it with are pretty intelligent, so I built the map where one player contols mimri to protect the artifact. It sounded like a lot of fun, and the type of scenario my friends would be into, so we will just draft up some teams tomorrow. I did pick up one expansion as well. The Mallidon one with the heroes. Is there any other one I should grab before tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.