Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought it was odd when I first saw the article. But then I though this is more dead on than realized.

I enjoyed that the Marine called himself a nerd.

Wargamers and Grognards....time to do some recruiting.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/gaming/2012/09/warhammer_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
sauron
For REALER 'ones' played that! Marine 2002 cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the marine gamers I met were all war hammer players. Mostly 40k.

Edit to note: I am not a marine. I was just stationed with some while I was deployed to Iraq. Hooah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont understand how they got time to play warhammer 40K in battle zone ? unless they are rear echelon troop / non-combatant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
i dont understand how they got time to play warhammer 40K in battle zone ? unless they are rear echelon troop / non-combatant...

I think being on the front line involves an awful lot of boredom interspersed with short periods of pants wetting terror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a navy ship in a town I go to play magic at and there was a ton of guys coming in to play!

I know if I was in the Military I'd try to find another geek for a buddy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim patching got it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
We certainly never had time or a place to play in Haditha or Helmand, but lots of guys read the 40K novels, read codexes, and argued about whether the Tau were good guys or not when we had time to. One of our scout/sniper Sergeants even had the Imperial Eagle tattooed on his arm. The game store in Jacksonville, NC (one of the centers of Marine Corps gravity) is one of the most successful game stores I have ever been to.

Edit: Young men have a lot of money to blow after a deployment. If you don't have to pay for a house or a wife, you might as well spend a couple grand on some sweet-ass tanks and Bloodletters of Khorne.

"X for the X God" became a joke. Chow for the Chow God! Ammo for the Ammo God! Batteries for the Battery God! Wag Bags for the Wag Bag God! Works for anything really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually sent games to my son the XO in Afghanistan in the mistaken belief that he would have time to play games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have always loved the idea of 40k,and have had a go at playing once upon a time, but it's justtoo eexpensive and im not artistic enough i may have another look when they release an updated Eldar codex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.