jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Fellow Gamers!!

My name is Jim Flemming. I am writing to you today because I am putting together a 12 hour open gaming charity event called Extra Life Open Gaming: Gaming for Good and I would love if you could get involved.

Some of you may have heard of the Extra Life charity event. It is held once a year nationwide and involves primarily video gamers across the country promising to play games for 24 hours. They then ask friends and family to sponsor them for this event, and all contributions go to the Children’s Miracle Network. This organization supports 170 of children’s hospitals in the US. Last year the extra life event raised $1.1 million for children's hospitals.

I love the idea of supporting children’s hospitals, and figured board/tabletop gamers could help contribute to this great cause just as well as video gamers! So I am throwing the Gaming for Good event to raise funds to help support the Children’s Miracle Network. The fact that any child might need to go to a hospital is a tragedy in and of itself. In supporting this event, we can help children’s hospitals across the country make having to visit the hospital a little more bearable for children and their parents.

The event will be held on October 20, 2012 from 12 PM (noon) – 12 AM (midnight) at my favorite FLGS, the Games Keep at 929 South High Street, West Chester PA 19382.

For a minimum donation of $5, you will be able to game ALL day, get FREE pizza and drinks, be able to participate in game demos of new games, play in our big group games of Wits and Wagers or Werewolf, have the opportunity to win FREE GAMES (from publishers like Z-Man games, R&R Games, Stronghold Games, and Game Salute), AND most importantly help support a fantastic cause.

What can you do to help? Well I'm so glad you asked! Here are a few things:

1.)    Share my contact information, this email, this Facebook Group, and this poster with anyone you know who likes games and likes helping children.

2.)    Come out on October 20 and HAVE FUN!! 12 hours of gaming for $5?? How can you beat that??

3.)    Join our Extra Life Team, Team Jumping Square!! Last year we raised over $2,000 – help us beat that this year! Join Here!!

4.) Let me know if you have a good place to hang our poster! I'll print out a few copies and get them to you!

5.)    If you can’t do any of the above, consider donating to a great cause. Even a $1 will make a huge difference in the life of child.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your time and support! I hope to see you at Games Keep on October 20!!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

Games that are being raffled off:

Battles of Westeros
Glory to Rome Black Box
Legacy Gears of Time
Android
Famiglia
Plunkin' Pairs
Pass-Ackwards
Time's Up Deluxe
Micro Monsters (x2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra Life is a great group.

My friends are having their 24 hour gaming marathon this weekend (Oct 6th). I'm not going to partake in the 24 hours, but I'll probably stop by for a couple hours to play some video/board games with them, and bring some nourishments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just for full disclosure, the Battles of Westeros and Android games that arrived from FFG both have a little box damage (which is probably why they donated them in the first place), but they're both new in shrink otherwise. And considering they're $80 and $60 msrp games and Battles of Westeros is currently out of print, that's still really nice of them.

Also, the Glory to Rome Black Box was a spare demo copy from Cambridge Games. It's not in shrink, but it's components are still packed up and unplayed, and it comes with the kickstarter extra deck and Plato 3000.

Definitely looking forward to this event. Should be a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor The Geek
United States
Harrisburg area
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just joined Team Jumping Square v3! My friend Reuven told me about the Games Keep and I decided to join the game-athon on Oct 20th. I'm planning on buying a Crokinole board from the Games Keep, so I'll be looking for competition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VictorTheGeek wrote:
I just joined Team Jumping Square v3! My friend Reuven told me about the Games Keep and I decided to join the game-athon on Oct 20th. I'm planning on buying a Crokinole board from the Games Keep, so I'll be looking for competition!

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see you there Victor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a few more packages in the mail today!

First, Stronghold Games has sent two copies each of their new card games, Little Devils and Crazy Creatures of Dr. Gloom!

I will be demoing one copy of each, and keeping two in shrink - they will all get raffled off at the event!!!

Thanks again to Stronghold Games!!!

I also received a bunch of boxes from USAopoly!!

They sent over 6 copies of Telestrationsand 2 copies of the Telestrations 12 Player Party Pack!!!

We will be opening a bunch of these to have fun with at the event, and will be raffling off a few copies as well!!!

Thank you USAopoly!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also talking to a publisher about a very special demo - but I don't want to announce anything before I have the game in my hands...

I will also be putting together a raffle schedule - you will get a raffle ticket for the raffle of your choice when you pay $5 to enter the event, but you will need to be present at the time of the raffle to win.

More details to come soon!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only FOUR more days until the Gaming for Good Event!!!

At each time slot (2:00,, 4:00, 6:00, 8:00, and 10:00) we will pull a number of raffle tickets from those purchased thus far. So, at 2:00, we will pull 3 tickets, and have 3 winners - the first two winners will have their choice, and the 3rd will win the game that is left.

Remember, you get 1 ticket for paying to enter the event, and you can buy more, by donating more!!!

Here is what we will be raffling off!

2:00
Telestrations
Time's Up Deluxe
Crazy Creatures of Dr. Gloom
Little Devils

4:00
Shadow Rift
Telestrations
Micro Monsters
Flash Duel: Second Edition
Bell-Bottomed Badassses on the Mean Streets of Funk
Gumball Rally

6:00
Android
Telestrations
Pass-Ackwards
Rumble in the House
Famiglia
Marriage Material

8:00 (all Alien Frontiers products will be raffled to ONE lucky winner!!!)
Alien Frontiers
- Alien Frontiers: Factions
- Alien Frontiers: Faction Pack #1
- Aien Frontiers Upgrade Pack
Legacy: Gears of Time
Telestrations Party Pack
Telestrations

10:00
Battles of Westeros (ding and dent copy)
Telestrations
Pluckin' Pairs
Crazy Creatures of Dr. Gloom (open demo copy)
Little Devils (open demo copy)
Glory to Rome Black Box Edition

THANK YOU to all of our fantastic sponsors!!!

I will also be running demo games of:
Crazy Creatures of Dr. Gloom
Little Devils
Micro Monsters
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Here is a short list of group games I am planning on running:
Wits and Wagers
The Resistance
Sync Up!
Beyond Balderdash

I have also spoken to Upper Deck Entertainment. They are sending us a copy of the unreleased Marvel Deck Building Game, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game for us to demo.

I DO NOT have the game in my hands yet - but I will update this post as soon as I do.

Hope to see you all there!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor The Geek
United States
Harrisburg area
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there at the beginning of the day, so can you give me my copy of Alien Frontiers then? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just an FYI, a local just let me know this weekend is West Chester Univ's homecoming, so if you can avoid traveling through the downtown, I'd recommend it. Don't need any road-raged gamers showing up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a last minute addition to the raffle - a NEW copy of Ticket to Ride!! (Thanks Aunt Cathie!!!)

ALSO, in addition to the free pizza that is being provided for us by Karl at Games Keep, we will also have dessert available!! For a small donation, you can snack on cupcakes, brownies, and some very special chocolate covered meeples!!![/size]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's times like this that make me proud I decided to make a career as an FLGS and to be a part of the gaming community. I'm writing this after everyone finished shuffling out after our 12 hour gaming marathon.

THANK YOU to the 45+ gamers who came out to participate (many were here for almost the full 12 hours!). With your generous support, we raised $620 for the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia - in just 12 hours! You are what made this event possible, made it fun, made it rewarding. Through Belfort & Puerto Rico, Crokinole & Escape, 7 Wonders & Telestrations, Bamboleo & Ticket to Ride, The Village & Viva Java, and numerous others.

THANK YOU to the generous manufacturers who provided us with the 30ish games raffled off throughout the day! You provided the rewards and incentive for the grueling 12 hours of gaming frenzy (it's not like 12 hours of gaming is all fun and games or anthing). Special thanks go out to R&R Games, USAopoly and Fantasy Flight and Game Salute for their exceptional support of products!

And last but certainly not least, THANK YOU Jim, who brought this wonderful event idea to my doorstep, helped to coordinate it, drummed up the prize support, ran demos, and brought us awesome brownies and baked goods. Your advertising and enthusiasm made this a wonderful event that everyone enjoyed. Thanks to all of Team Jumping Square V3 - I know Jim, Sue and Victor were all out (If I missed anyone else that was here from the team I apologize!)

Can't want to plan this out for next year again. Thanks to everyone involved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuven Fischer
United States
Bala Cynwyd
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No no!

THANK YOU Karl & Jim

A great time was had by all! We really appreciate you guys pulling this event together.

Wow $620! Nice!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to take a second to echo what Karl said.

Thank you to all of our great Gaming for Good attendees!! $620 is an amazing amount of money for a fantastic cause. I am completely humbled by your generosity.

Thank you to the publishers who supported our event with their awesome games!! I think the raffles were a huge success - they helped to drive attendance, donations, and enthusiasm throughout the day.

Most of all THANK YOU KARL!!! Thanks for the pizza and drinks, thanks for the use of your ENTIRE STORE, and thanks for putting in a looong 12+ hour day!!! YOU ROCK!!!

In sum - thank you to everyone who supported this event and our cause!

See you all next year!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.