Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Poverty Rate Unchanged, But Still Historically High
http://www.npr.org/2012/09/12/161013227/poverty-rate-unchang...

...meanwhile, the rich got richer again last year. "Congrats to the fat-cats."

Makes me realize what a bubble I live in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49% of the people pay no income taxes. 46 million are on food stamps.

Where are we headed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

Are you saying that the only reason some people are poor is that others are rich? Cause the way you phrased your post it sure seems that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
49% of the people pay no income taxes.

This is at least a somewhat meaningless statistic when you consider the way that the tax system mixes spending and taxation. I mean, it makes for a good talking point without actually discussing anything of substance.

Quote:
46 million are on food stamps.

This is a problem.

Quote:
Where are we headed?

To the future? To quote many commercials on TV - past performance may not be indicative of future results. If we elect a Congress that'll get some stuff done, most of our problems are relatively short- to mid-term in nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Not if we don't fix the schools of these 22% who are living poverty.

How will they find the jobs of the 21st Century? Is Facebook going to hire them? Google?

Education reform is a necessary element of any discussion on how to alleviate poverty in this nation.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
One positive number that was released with the report was that the number of insured increased by over a million and something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Not if we don't fix the schools of these 22% who are living poverty."

I'm too tired to take this on now, but it strikes me that this is roughly the same thing as saying "we need to fix poverty."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
perfalbion wrote:
[q="Darilian"]Not if we don't fix the schools of these 22% who are living poverty."

I'm too tired to take this on now, but it strikes me that this is roughly the same thing as saying "we need to fix poverty."

The two issues are interconnected.

Democrats used to understand this.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure glad we declared that government war on poverty 5 decades ago. who knows where we'd be by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
I'm sure glad we declared that government war on poverty 5 decades ago. who knows where we'd be by now.

Much higher. Before Johnson started his initiative in 1964 the overall poverty rate was 17.3%, it dropped to 11.1% in 1973. It has remained between there and 15% since then.

Child poverty fell from 23% To 17%, but now it's almost back up t where it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DWTripp wrote:
Are you saying that the only reason some people are poor is that others are rich? Cause the way you phrased your post it sure seems that way.

No, he said that rich people get richer, poor people remain the same or get poorer.

It only seemed that way to you, because you want to inject the usual, crappy and monodimensional justification about how keeping people poor makes everyone rich. Which again goes to show that your usual anti-intellectual phobia stops as soon as the academics tell you what you want to hear, big news here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
The two issues are interconnected.

Thank you, Capt. Obvious.

Quote:
Democrats used to understand this.

Still do. Tell me: do you think you can fix education just by working on the schools?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
tesuji wrote:

Well if those rich people are not creating jobs with thier riches who's fault is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolute or realtive poverty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

I get what you are saying, but isn't that going to be true by definition of poverty?

It's a bellcurve- dividing 5 quintiles- the lowest quintile is always in poverty.

Perhaps by steepening the slope of the bellcurve we can move some out of the poverty area and have more in the middle but still... seems like some will always be in poverty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

How will they find the jobs of the 21st Century? Is Facebook going to hire them? Google?

Education reform is a necessary element of any discussion on how to alleviate poverty in this nation.

Darilian

There are only so many jobs for college graduates. And it's not really much past 25%.

A local company just laid off 250 college graduates- to replace them with indians who are cheaper- and in many cases I think less competent.

With increasing automation and robotics, the capitalist model breaks down because not everyone can be a rocket scientist and all the jobs for the less bright are taken by machines or poor people overseas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

No, he said that rich people get richer, poor people remain the same or get poorer.

It only seemed that way to you, because you want to inject the usual, crappy and monodimensional justification about how keeping people poor makes everyone rich. Which again goes to show that your usual anti-intellectual phobia stops as soon as the academics tell you what you want to hear, big news here.

No he didn't. The only anti-intellectual bias I have is for ignorant but educated morons who think their monkey-skills at doing math or writing code qualifies them to run other people's lives and make policy for millions. Your own pathetic failure of a country is all the proof I need that this sort of "rich get richer, poor get poorer" mantra does nothing more than ruin people's lives and cause suffering for everyone who isn't shielded by their "education" or trust fund.

The last thing America needs running it is more wonks and lawyers at the helm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

I get what you are saying, but isn't that going to be true by definition of poverty?

It's a bellcurve- dividing 5 quintiles- the lowest quintile is always in poverty.

Perhaps by steepening the slope of the bellcurve we can move some out of the poverty area and have more in the middle but still... seems like some will always be in poverty.

Can't the whole bell curve move to the right leaving a flat line of almost zero in the lowest quintile? I mean, in a world where we made more of an effort to have a system that raised all boats?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to take a revolution. You can quote me on that. Not now, or even in 10 years (maybe not even in 30-50 years), but eventually, the poor will finally be poor enough and numerous enough to take matters into their own hands. Until then, I think you'll see all of these trends continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DWTripp wrote:
No he didn't. The only anti-intellectual bias I have is for ignorant but educated morons who think their monkey-skills at doing math or writing code qualifies them to run other people's lives and make policy for millions. Your own pathetic failure of a country is all the proof I need that this sort of "rich get richer, poor get poorer" mantra does nothing more than ruin people's lives and cause suffering for everyone who isn't shielded by their "education" or trust fund.

The last thing America needs running it is more wonks and lawyers at the helm.

Hint
: my pathetic failure of a country has been run in neoliberal terms, based on exactly the debunk principles you are using it to demonstrate, for over 20 years now. That's why it's a pathetic failure, because morons defending what you're saying have had a monopoly of power.

Try not to hit yourself too hard with your ad hominems, granpa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

In the 21st Century we'll be doing away with plumbers, electricians, carpenters, auto mechanics, HVAC techs, welders, pipefitters, ship builders, heavy equipment operators, general contractors, and professional athletes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

In the 21st Century we'll be doing away with plumbers, electricians, carpenters, auto mechanics, HVAC techs, welders, pipefitters, ship builders, heavy equipment operators, general contractors, and professional athletes.

I almost believed you until the professional athletes. Without the new opiate of the masses, what would politicians use to distract the proles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:

Everything thing we've declared war on since 1960 has beaten us. Last I saw the drug and terror business are doing just as fine as poverty. Who knows, maybe they will form a new Axis Powers? If so, drugs are totally Italy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Can't the whole bell curve move to the right leaving a flat line of almost zero in the lowest quintile? I mean, in a world where we made more of an effort to have a system that raised all boats?.

It can be- but only if you define poverty as lacking certain qualities instead of being in the bottom quintile.

Today's poverty is not the 1950's poverty is not the 1930's poverty.
You have clothing, shelter, basic food and basic medical care. Plus you often have a TV, and a few luxury items like a nice shirt or tennis shoes.

That's not really poverty. It's just poorer than the rest of the nation.

The people living in tent cities- that's poverty.
The people who have no access to food assistance who are hungry for lack of enough food (even basic food)- that's poverty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

It can be- but only if you define poverty as lacking certain qualities instead of being in the bottom quintile.

Today's poverty is not the 1950's poverty is not the 1930's poverty.
You have clothing, shelter, basic food and basic medical care. Plus you often have a TV, and a few luxury items like a nice shirt or tennis shoes.

That's not really poverty. It's just poorer than the rest of the nation.

The people living in tent cities- that's poverty.
The people who have no access to food assistance who are hungry for lack of enough food (even basic food)- that's poverty.

I get what you are saying, historically poverty shouldn't be measured by the amount of money you have, but whether you can buy essentials with the amount of money you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.