Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so there's something weird in the rulebook and I'm wondering if it's a mistake. The idea of initiative is that the highest initiative pilot moves last and shoots first. But when two ship pilots are tied in initiative, you look at the scenario to determine if the rebellion or the empire has 'Initiative'. The default, barring explicit statement in the scenario is for the empire to have 'Initiative'. Having initiative means that faction moves first when there is a tie AND shoots first. That HAS to be a mistake, right? At no other time in the game can a ship move first AND shoot first.

To give a clear example, if the rebellion is playing only with Wedge and the empire is playing only with Darth Vader, then in a standard scenario Darth Vader will move AND shoot first because they are both initiative 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
It could be considered an equalising factor.

Actually, in combat you resolve ties in pilot skill by counting the shots as simultaneous. So the only effect of having the initiative is that you move first.

Check the Simultaneous Attack Rule on page 16. You may roll the dice for the player with initiative first, which might affect the targeting choices of the fighter that is tied, but the damage is resolved at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
It could be considered an equalising factor.

Actually, in combat you resolve ties in pilot skill by counting the shots as simultaneous. So the only effect of having the initiative is that you move first.

Yeah, or something I thought of two seconds after the post is that the two pilots are extremely close. The effect is that the side with initiative must move first but gets to shoot first. So, he's penalized during the movement, but benefits during shooting, which is arguably the most important time to benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Sure, but the other ship that fires last will still get to fire even if taking lethal damage, thanks to the simultaneous attack rule. So it's not that big of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
There is a subtle advantage to shooting first when tied: effects that come as a result of the first shot apply, ie. Vader hits Wedge and scores a critical that affects Wedge's attack, Wedge must apply the effect during his attack. Kind of rare but can happen. Personally, I think moving first is far worse than having the fringe case of my shot weakening your shot because I have initiative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Well, you might force him to use his focus on defence, which could possibly make his attack less effective. That's probably the more common advantage to be gained, I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they had a whole article about squad building and one of the advantages of building a squad with fewer points was that it gave you the initiative advantage in ties?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargamel wrote:
I thought they had a whole article about squad building and one of the advantages of building a squad with fewer points was that it gave you the initiative advantage in ties?

You aren't wrong. The weird thing is that having initiative appears to be a bad thing. Moving first seems much worse than firing second when accounting that the Simultaneous Fire rule comes into play for pilots of equal skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Well, I'm not sure. You can't really adjust where you are moving to in response to anyone. Apart from barrel-rolls. The change in move order may change your chosen action, however. Perhaps if you move first it puts you in range of a lock on, while if you moved last you would have stayed out.

However, when you get close in, I can see an advantage to moving earlier. There is less chance of a collision with another ship. It's ok if someone bumps into you after you move, as only they lose their action.

So when it comes to moving first I'm not so sure it's really that big of a deal compared to shooting first, even using the simultaneous attack rules.

It's one of those things that will only become clear once we actually start playing.

However, I do agree that giving the person who spent less point initiative makes it seem like it is meant to be a clear advantage. I actually think it would be a bad thing if it really was too good. I think it should just be an incidental thing, and not something you really feel like you have to try for to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Well, I'm not sure. You can't really adjust where you are moving to in response to anyone. Apart from barrel-rolls. The change in move order may change your chosen action, however. Perhaps if you move first it puts you in range of a lock on, while if you moved last you would have stayed out.

However, when you get close in, I can see an advantage to moving earlier. There is less chance of a collision with another ship. It's ok if someone bumps into you after you move, as only they lose their action.

So when it comes to moving first I'm not so sure it's really that big of a deal compared to shooting first, even using the simultaneous attack rules.

It's one of those things that will only become clear once we actually start playing.

However, I do agree that giving the person who spent less point initiative makes it seem like it is meant to be a clear advantage. I actually think it would be a bad thing if it really was too good. I think it should just be an incidental thing, and not something you really feel like you have to try for to get.

You're acting like barrel rolls aren't a big deal. After playing, I assure you that they are. Knowing where everyone is going to be in general let's you pick which action is most needed. Moving last IS a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
ferris1971 wrote:

You're acting like barrel rolls aren't a big deal. After playing, I assure you that they are. Knowing where everyone is going to be in general let's you pick which action is most needed. Moving last IS a big deal.

Agree 100%. Moving last is likely the most important aspect of this game. Reacting to when you need to evade vs focus vs barrel roll vs target lock effectively is key to a good squad strategy. If you move first, you’re guessing. Guessing wrong means you take damage and/or lose a ship. If you move last, you aren’t guessing, you’re optimizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:

Agree 100%. Moving last is likely the most important aspect of this game. Reacting to when you need to evade vs focus vs barrel roll vs target lock effectively is key to a good squad strategy. If you move first, you’re guessing. Guessing wrong means you take damage and/or lose a ship. If you move last, you aren’t guessing, you’re optimizing.

At least three times yesterday, a timely barrel roll meant that ship pulled out of danger while setting up a close range shot. A few other times meant negating a shot or putting yourself at long range. And if you KNOW you can't do either of these, and are in harms way, evade is an AMAZING action for those Tie's. If we learned nothing from GI Joe, we learned the knowing is half the battle, so yeah, moving last is a big deal. Casualties typically (at least in the games I've played) march up the initiative order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that I'm alone in a thread with 2 monkeys and Gargamel. Hmmm... There's a joke there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
space monkey mafia wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:

Fair enough. I was just speculating. Real game experience trumps that everytime .

The closest game I've played to this is Aeronautica Imperialis, where a chosen maneuver can potentially leave in very different parts of the board, whereas this seems a bit more ridged. I see your point though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be so sure, moving first can have huge benefits.

For starters, if you know you are the first ship to move, then you know exactly what the board will look like as you move and you can try to get right in the way of where you think enemy ships are likely to try and go (thus costing them their action and possible their attack at you).

As more and more ships activate, the board becomes more and more unpredictable and the likelihood of "collisions" starts to increase drastically for ships that activate later, potentially costing them their action and an attack opportunity.

Of course, choosing your action is much easier when more of the opponent's ships have already activated and are locked in place. So there are pros and cons, but I certainly don't think that moving last is always better than moving first. Especially on a board cluttered with ships in the middle of a scrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We houserule this to say that the person with a lower-cost army gets to choose (only at the beginning of the game, then it's stuck for that entire game) whether to have initiative or give it to the opponent.

Whether you agree or disagree on whether initiative is good or bad, I think most people would find it fair that the person with a lower cost army get to decide that for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.