Popular Tags: [View All]
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Any tips on how-to teach Carcassonne?

This is my situation:
I’m giving the blue-box Carc as a birthday present for a friend (who is a gamer, but as far as I know hasn’t gotten into “euros.”) I’ve successfully “gatewayed” friends w/ Carc: Hunters and Gatherers, I play a lot of Carc: The Castle with my wife. So I obviously have the basic Carc gameplay down, but yet I’ve never played the blue-box base game!

I’m a little worried about the dreaded Farmer Scoring…

Is the rule that the player with the most farmers in a field scores a point for each completed city in that field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yes. 3 points per completed city touching the field. Some play 4 points.

It is very rare in my experience for there to be more than one farmer in a field though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The most recent edition of the rules is 3 points. If you're buying the English version (by Rio Grande), you will probably find the 1st edition rules, which many people feel are more confusing. (Although that was the way my wife and I learned the game and we never had a problem with it.)

Current edition:
The owner of each field scores 3 pts. for every completed city touching that field. (Scoring is done on a field-by-field basis.)

1st edition/Rio Grande:
Whoever has the most farmers connected to a particular city, regardless of which fields they are in, scores 4 pts. for that city. (Scoring is done on a city-by-city basis.)

Example:

City Z touches Fields A and B. Red and Green each have 1 farmer in Field A. Red has a farmer in Field B.

Current edition: Red scores 6. Green scores 3.

1st ed./RG: Red scores 4. Green scores 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
With somebody new to the game play with whatever scoring rules come in the set you are playing with. Afterwards when all are accustomed to playing, the discussion on which is the preferred scoring system for farmers may begin in earnest meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Well, yes. 3 points per completed city touching the field. Some play 4 points.

It is very rare in my experience for there to be more than one farmer in a field though.

It's quite rare for there to be only one farmer in a field for the games I've played... We generally have at least 3 and sometimes more. If you're not fighting over the farms, you're missing out on a lot of the fun of the game, IMO.

Now, as far as the farm scoring: be scared... be very scared... We've played Carcassonne for years and it's still a tough thing to do properly, especially for large cities that have many farms touching them. There is only 4 points for each city, and they are given to the player with the most farmers touching, regardless of the number of farms touching...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of sounding like I'm making a shameless plug, you might want to check on my Carcassonne FAQ site for translations of the questions sent to HiG concerning this issue, if you haven't already. The two most pertinent links would be:

Farms and Farmers: http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/2005/07/farms-and-farmers...

Most recent changes: http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/2005/07/most-recent-chang...

The most important thing to remember when asking questions about farmer scoring is that the topic is possibly the most hotly debated one on these forums, since whether neither the 1st edition (and RGG) rules nor the 2nd & 3rd edition rules can definitively be said to be 'right'. I would guess that the majority of Americans use the 1st ed rules, and Europeans the 2nd or 3rd ed rules. HiG decided to simplify the rules because they were too complicated, and the basic difference is that in the 1st ed rules, every farmer may be counted multiple times, in relation to each city, and in the 2nd & 3rd ed rules, you need only count each farmer once, in relation to the field. It's still complicated, but a good deal less so, IMHO.

Incidentally, if you get into epic games using all the expansions (lasting 2-3 hours) it is not uncommon to have several farmers on a field - I think we had five each at one point, and fields which score over 80 points (using HiG rules). The more expansions you use, the more complicated scoring fields becomes, because the fields can potentially grow enormous, but at the same time, so can cities and roads, and overall I've found that scoring is more balanced (because more diversified) with more expansions. But it does mean that the end of the game becomes focused on getting your farmers on to fields rather than trying to start new cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the rules you give him/them and go with that, I'd recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.