Subject: ARE ALL COLOURS EQUAL? – (THE MONKEY AND THE PARROT EFFECT) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

With due acknowledgement of Edd's earlier Tiebreaker Distribution Strategy Thread, I would offer the following considerations.

Your 30 character cards each have an influence number from 1 to 6. These are used to break ties and determine the sequence of any matching cards played on a given day. Each of the 6 decks has an equal distribution of influence numbers, and as you would expect, all influence numbers are unique for a given card type across the six decks.

The timing of the special daytime action of Card 1 (Parrot), would seem to be of particular significance. If this card is duplicated on the same day, it would seem that whichever of these cards has the higher influence would have a clear advantage over the other(s). This is because its daytime action would be actioned after the other matching actions. In the case of the Parrot, you get to see what the other Parrots do before you act.

The same also appears to be true for Card 2 (Monkey), where a high influence number allows you to shift all your bad tokens, after the other monkeys have shifted theirs.

Incidentally, a highly ranked monkey also yields an advantage during the dusk phase, since your monkey would get to choose its booty before the other monkey(s) choose theirs. The parrot has already flown by now, so the dusk advantage doesn't directly apply to them.

Whilst there are some daytime timing issues on a couple of other cards, they appear to be much less sensitive than Cards 1 & 2.

My theory is this:- Hope that you draw the Black deck, because it has influence numbers of 5 & 6 for Cards 1 and 2. Avoid the Yellow deck (influence 1 & 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Hughes
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Keep flying.
mbmbmbmbmb
The colors are not equal. They are like subtle special powers. Some players will just do a bit better with some cards than others when played at the same time. But it's the player's choice as to when to play them. I will often either try to hold onto my low influence cards until other's have played their versions or play mine when losing a tiebreaker won't matter.

Also, since the cards are randomly drawn you can't rely having certain high valued influence cards based on color anyway.

I don't mind any of this but I also enjoy games like Cosmic Encounter in which player's powers can be horribly unbalanced. It's up to other players to try to mitigate the unbalance.

I just recommend playing with the most balanced colors, mentioned in a couple other threads, when playing with two or three.

-Laura
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Faulconer
United States
pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this and the monkey came up, and so did more curses then ever before, last card we all played was Monkey, curses piled up and it was not cool.

Last time we played, we simply house ruled "simultaneous monkey action" all curses passed at the same time. Monkey came up, and wasn't an issue. We still used the # to keep the order of everything else. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luish Moraes Coelho
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
this might be a good house rule (what if all players choose the monkey at the same time, what would happen? all curses move to the left?). One other house rule that would work is limit the curses given to the left on two tiles (it may be 6 or 12 VPs, already bad). Yesterday I could manage to give four tiles to my fellow neighbor who lost 24 points with one monkey move!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chapman
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To those of you who would house rule away compounding bad effects, i say "booooooo!" The "oh crap" factor of seeing that your play just backfired and you're about to get hosed is one of the main reasons this game is fun and not just another ho-hum vp maximization game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Olson
United States
Troy
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really breaks down if someone with a high ranked monkey starts gathering curses on purpose. Essentially they can play spoiler to the person on their left and that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths. No other play in the game can steal 12 vp away from someone that quickly. Anyways it's effect is not a bad as first thought but it has soured some folks in my group on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alanias wrote:
It really breaks down if someone with a high ranked monkey starts gathering curses on purpose. Essentially they can play spoiler to the person on their left and that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths. No other play in the game can steal 12 vp away from someone that quickly. Anyways it's effect is not a bad as first thought but it has soured some folks in my group on the game.

So play the Merchant or the Preacher and laugh at how much time they wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
From our experience, we have concluded that the game is excellent, and that the tie-breaker mechanism is flawed.

alanias wrote:
It really breaks down if someone with a high ranked monkey starts gathering curses on purpose.
This happens to be one example of our complaint; ideally, there should be no such thing as an absolute high ranked monkey. We have therefore settled on a house-rule which deploys the player flags in a rotation system to resolve tie-breaks, (see here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.