Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus Browning
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if anyone has analysed the investigators. It would be nice to have a list of each investigator's strengths and weaknesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Flint
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent analyzed them, but Ive played 3 times with different sets of investigators each time (usually 3 player games) so ive used most of them. Overall, one thing I think is best is to let the player pick one they are happy with - if you like blazing away with guns, a sneaky scientist will not be used to its optimum (Im guilty of this). Ive heard the magician is very powerful, but I didnt find that myself (but thats only one play).

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My top picks:

Mandy Thompson: She has 5 Sanity and 5 Stamina which means she can survive a hit by the toughest monsters. She starts with four clue tokens, all she needs to do is visit one location to seal a gate. On top of that her Research ability is insane. Her speed/sneak and fight/will are both excellent since the sliders can can be placed on relativly high numbers for both. Her only weakness is her lore/luck where you pretty much have to go with one or the other.

Gloria Goldberg: Her Psychic Sensitivity is nice to have since you can pick the better of the Other World cards so she will rarely be Lost in Time and Space and you can get those gates sealed quicker. Her 6 Sanity and 4 Stamina means she can stand up to most monsters too.

Sister Mary: She starts Blessed and Guardian Angel means she's never Lost in Time and Space, both are very nice, especially against Yog-Sothoth. Her big weaknesses? $0 money and only 3 Stamina. 7 Sanity is nice, but she is not a fighter as her highest fight skill number is only 3. It's best to have her Sneak high which means her Movement is low so take out a loan and shop for a motorcyle or map, or make her Deputy asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta agree with Mandy. I also like Darrell Simmons, as the constant cash flow and the ability to choose an Arkham Adventure card means that he can be key to the party's success without ever stepping into the Other Worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMO the stats of the characters are less important than their abilities and in particular their starting clue tokens. Weaknesses can always be supplemeted by the right equipment.

For abilities the best characters are Mandy and the photographer (with a fair gap between mandy and the photographer and the photagrapher to the next best). The photographer is so powerful because he can abuse the newspaper location for money and keep shopping for signs at the curisoity shop.

While its a bit boring after playing losts of games though Ive come to the conclusion that the single most important factor is starting clue tokens (making Mandy the absolute all-star of the investigators). Mandy for example with her starting 4 clue tokens gains effectively at least 4 turns on a character with no clue tokens. Just as importantly clue tokens are most valuable at the start of the game because they allow a gate to be closed and sealed earlier which (when the gate is a common gate) can buy multiple turns for all the characters when mythos cards featuring that location are turned up.

I think sister mary is one of the worst characters. She has no money, low clues, poor equipment and poor stats. Her ability to ignore being lost in time in space is hardly ever relevant. Her only substantial advantage is her blessing which she has a 1 in 6 chance of losing each turn. I think making her blessing permanant would still make her weaker than Mandy (although a lot better in comparison to some of the other investigators).

A last point is that a good mix of investigators is probably more important than their individual power. Optimally each group would like to start with at least 1 character than can fight well, 1 shopper, 1 high lore character to make use of tomes and spells and 1 character with high clue tokens or an elder sign who can seal gates right from the start. A party with 4 fighers or 4 high lore characters won't do nearly as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The photographer is so powerful because he can abuse the newspaper location for money and keep shopping for signs at the curisoity shop.

This really isn't a viable strategy anymore with the latest errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squashua

Coconut Creek
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two characters that have 3 Focus (Mandy and Joe Diamond) also have the most powerful-seeming Special Abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor is my favorite, sure Mandy is the best but I just like being a professor (I always play Professor Plum in Cluedo Supersleuth). His Strong Mind means he can cast spells without cost.

Michael Mcgee is a pretty good fighter, but weak on Sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We've played more than 60 times and I've kept the data of each game (characters, outcome, etc.). Since the house rules that were adopted changed over time, my statistic isn't 100% consistent, but... it clearly puts Kate at the top (followed by Joe and Mandy).
Overall, the game is so based on luck that you can win or lose with any team (thus pick the character you prefer and have fun! ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Philip Thomas wrote:
The Professor is my favorite, sure Mandy is the best but I just like being a professor (I always play Professor Plum in Cluedo Supersleuth). His Strong Mind means he can cast spells without cost.

No, it doesn't. Check the FAQ. Strong Mind reduces losses, not costs, and the two are considered different things.

As a result, I quite like the psychologist. She pays the cost of a spell, but heals it straight back on her next upkeep.

Quote:
Michael Mcgee is a pretty good fighter, but weak on Sanity.

Is that the gangster? If so, he is pretty good, yes. If you pump his will to max, you can often make a horror check, and monsters which only do one damage per combat round cannot hurt him physically, so you just keep rolling until he wins.

Also, I was playing the gangster in a game a few weeks ago, and found a nasty exploit. We were playing against Hastur, so were chronically short of clue tokens. I had been beaten up fairly badly, and was about to head to the hospital, but the then Blood Magic environment came up. For that, you roll dice equal to your current stamina, and lose one stamina for each failure. If still conscious, you gain three clue tokens. My special ability reduced the loss by one. That meant that when I was on 1 stamina, I would roll one die, usually fail, reduce the stamina loss to 0, keep my 1 stamina, and gain three clue tokens. Since I was already down to 2 stamina when the card came up, I wasn't terribly bothered by the minor stamina loss. I did this three times before we drew a new environment, then continued on my way to the hospital. Three clues per turn, with virtually no cost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the scientist (sorry I forget the name) she has a wonderful ability in stopping monsters and gates appearing at her location! Keep her on red spot locations and you have a chance of denying an arriving gate every turn. She's like a fricking elder sign with legs!

Walker Red Eye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

Not true, according to the FAQ posted by Fantasy Flight. The professor's ability works on losses, not costs.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/AHfaq.pdf

Page 4, top of right hand column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:
Three clues per turn, with virtually no cost!

I'm pretty sure you only roll for Blood Magic once, don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.