Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a pastor, I'm familiar with Hebrew and Greek, the languages of the Bible. I came across 2 Chronicles 32:6 today which talks about King Hezekiah placing, literally, "chieftains of war" or "captains of war" over the people in preparation for battle.

But the version I was reading today was the English Standard Version (ESV), a relatively recent translation that attempts to be readable and literal at the same time (never a happy combination). Anyway, here is the ESV translation of 2 Chronicles 32:6

Quote:
And he set combat commanders over the people and gathered them together to him in the square at the gate of the city and spoke encouragingly to them, saying, (2 Chronicles 32:6 ESV)

Bwahahahaha! I LOLed and then ROFLed.

Who knew they played wargames in ancient Israel!? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This finding seems oddly familiar... (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/563967/combat-commander-anci...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the LORD did pull His copy of Combat Commander from te shelf, and He did check BGG for solo variants, as face to face opponents were difficult for Him to locate..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
war_hero wrote:

Wow. Two years ago to the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
war_hero wrote:

Wow. I don't even remember posting that! blush

That reading comes up on September 13 in a series of daily readings. I don't often use that particular translation, as you can tell.

Nice catch! Just turned 40 last month so I guess I'm turning into that guy that starts repeating the same stories over and over...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

Nice catch! Just turned 40 last month so I guess I'm turning into that guy that starts repeating the same stories over and over...

Wouldn't this be appropriate for a pastor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If you have these different translations in electronic form, you should search for other titles. Who knows, maybe "Fighting Formations" shows up too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Wouldn't this be appropriate for a pastor?

Not only that but you guys are way ahead of me in the "quick" department today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
As a pastor, I'm familiar with Hebrew and Greek, the languages of the Bible. I came across 2 Chronicles 32:6 today which talks about King Hezekiah placing, literally, "chieftains of war" or "captains of war" over the people in preparation for battle.

But the version I was reading today was the English Standard Version (ESV), a relatively recent translation that attempts to be readable and literal at the same time (never a happy combination). Anyway, here is the ESV translation of 2 Chronicles 32:6

Quote:
And he set combat commanders over the people and gathered them together to him in the square at the gate of the city and spoke encouragingly to them, saying, (2 Chronicles 32:6 ESV)

Bwahahahaha! I LOLed and then ROFLed.

Who knew they played wargames in ancient Israel!? laugh

So Chads version is just the second coming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.