Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been some legitimate questions about the differences between the old and the new edition concerning the game material in the box and if it could be possible to do an upgrade kit.

I really understand that someone doesn’t want to buy the same game again, if there are just some minor differences. For my own I often take a marker and a cutter to add and change some properties in my collection.

Thus I want to sum up the new things which are laying today, 13th of September 2012, on my gaming table. Be aware this will not be the final version as we will test beyond the end of Essen, but it should show the direction. Something could be changed, kicked or added.

I’ll edit this if necessary.

Necessary Changes to old Tiles
8-12 diamontiles with different landscape and icons
3/4 of all nugget tokens with more nuggets
11 triangles with new icons and some different rules
new icons on the starting tile
6 new gear tokens
2 changed and extended price sheets
2 changed and extended player aids
1 longer rulebook

Additional non necessary Changes to old Tiles
4 changed player sheets
1 new overview
1 general store
4 new prospector meeples
3 boat meeples
3 horse meeples

Treasure Maps Feature
20 treasure clue tokens
2 black market triangles

Claim Feature
4 wooden claim markers

Winter Feature
1 special Winter D6
1 wooden/acryl ice token

Fur/Hunting Feature
12-16 new animal tokens
6 stand tokens
1 special hunting D6
4 miss tokens

XP/Skill Feature
12-16 experience tokens
24-36 big skill tokens with new grafics, icons, text
1 skill overview sheet

5/6 Player Expansion
player number icons for 4, 5, 6 players on many old tiles
4-8 additional diamondshaped-tiles
10-20 nugget tokens
10-15 gear tokens
20-30 animal, wood, tool, food tokens
2 player sheets
2 prospector meeples
2 claim markers
2 miss tokens
1 horse token
1 boat token

2-Player/Team Variant
Just some paragraphs and maybe 2 team player aids.

I test all these things mixing up two old boxes, marking new icons and handycrafting new tiles for skills, clues etc.

But I have no idea how we could make a nice upgrade kit providing all these tiles for a nice price even if we would just tell how to mark old tiles with a permanent marker and box only essential new things.
And I don’t want to miss any of the new features in any future game session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

I would be happy with just the "Essential Changes to Old Tiles" stuff. Everything else is a variant or an expansion (counting 5-6 players as an expansion) -- the essential stuff would let me play the newer version with people who knew it.

I didn't realize there were so many tile differences, that does make an upgrade harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I edited "variant" to "feature" in some cases as these features are really fine for me and I wont recommened to play without.
Lost Valley is a 10 year old game and I played, discussed and thought about many more games in the 10 years after than my 30 gaming years before Lost Valley.

In comparison: If I look at some FFG reprints there could have been done a little more to modernize the "game design" not only the grafic design.

To sum up: We could make a printrun of just some new nugget tokens and diamondtiles, but the game would feel the same as the old one as these changes only begin to shine - for me - together with the new "features".

Thus if you like to play the old version: just do it.
And if you like to fresh it up a little bit: use the new turn oder, the new triangle exploration and the new teamplay without any new tiles.

But I like the whole new thing: skills, claims, treasures, fur with up to 6 players ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anything listed here exclusive to the Kickstarter project, or will everything listed be included in an eventual retail release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should think about something more "special" for kickstarter than game features.
10 years ago we had some real nuggets in a little bottle with sand ...
If I look at Steve Jackson's Ogre ...
With 18k it will be tricky but there are some days left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
RoGo wrote:
Hi,
I edited "variant" to "feature" in some cases as these features are really fine for me and I wont recommened to play without.

Fair enough -- that does show these items in a different light. I was thinking about them like the "modules" you find in many game expansions, where they are optional additions to the game. If you feel they are essential to the game experience, then an upgrade is a lot harder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Athough I for one am not automatically inclined to even consider purchasing a new edition of a game which I already own, Pandasaurus Games should consider producing a 3-to-4-player expansion for "Lost Valley" first-edition owners, especially if the first-edition playing board cannot be utilized for up to 5 or 6 players.

Edit Adddendum: As of this writing, Pandasaurus Games is advertising its "Lost Valley" Kickstarter ad with board game review Tom Vasel's statement "The best exploration game I've played" and citing it as from his Top 50 Games from 2005 to the Present.

It's noteworthy that Tom Vasel was talking about the original 3-to-4 player version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the pricing changes to accommodate the change to gold values? I would like to try out the new pricing to see how different it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.