Subject: NOT SURE ABOUT THIS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found something called phoenix elfes on a games shops site.
Summoner wars it said and so I look into it and watched the intro video by the canadian guy.

Hm, I thought this was a dungeon type game with figures and stuff but no, apparently it's a card game.

Seems a bit like other card type games, like history of war and panzer general, but as I don't know those games I can't be sure.

Anyway the way the Canadian explained got me interested, but it does seem like one of them everlasting card building games.

Am I right to assume that this starter kit is all I need for a two player game, or will there be loads of other stuff I'd need (or even want) to buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You need nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
YOU CAN PLAY WITH JUST THE STARTER.
I PLAYED THE TUNDRA ORCS AND PHOENIX ELVES STARTER FOR THREE MONTHS NONSTOP.
BUY THIS GAME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I think most people are going to recommend picking up the Master Set.

This game was originally published on a very limited budget and became very popular. The Master Set gives you a bunch of armies, a nice board, and lots of replayability right out of the box.

You can decide later if you like it enough to buy extra armies. Also, it's nothing like those games you mentioned. It's more like Heroscape with cards. It does have expansions but they aren't collectible -- each pack is a complete deck of cards ready to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Am I right to assume that this starter kit is all I need for a two player game, or will there be loads of other stuff I'd need (or even want) to buy?

You can play full games with either of the two-deck starter sets, and there is also the 6-deck Summoner Wars: Master Set; additionally, there are separate single Faction decks that you can purchase, but you would need two of those (and then to print the rules from the Plaid Hat site) at the very minimum if you wanted to go that route.

The game is expandable but not collectible; you know ahead of time (or can find out at the Plaid Hat Summoner Wars page and then browsing through the various Factions) what each deck/pack comes with so you can just purchase what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, quick response.
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
There must be people out there who really love this game.

So the starter set does not come with a board?

Wouldn't be buying the {oh what's it called} base game which is for six player overkill?

I guess the different armies are so different that you can't help yourself but want to buy more to have just a slightly differrnt experience.
I assume that if you have a 6 player version you'll also have 6 boards?
not that I'll ever mange to get 6 players together, but how do you play that? with team 3 against 3?

Is there a story behind the game or must I imagine this as a lord of the rings kind of world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

Hm, I thought this was a dungeon type game with figures and stuff but no, apparently it's a card game.
You may be thinking of Dungeon Run, which is set in the world of Summoner Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Wow, quick response.

Wouldn't be buying the {oh what's it called} base game which is for six player overkill?

I guess the different armies are so different that you can't help yourself but want to buy more to have just a slightly differrnt experience.
not that I'll ever mange to get 6 players together, but how do you play that? with team 3 against 3?

Is there a story behind the game or must I imagine this as a lord of the rings kind of world.

The starter sets come with a paper map instead of a board.

The Master Set isn't 6 player, it's 2 player where there's a choice of 6 armies to choose from so you get a greater variety of play.

The story behind the game is something the creators are working on all the time, fleshing it out as new things are released as opposed to an existing fantasy world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Wow, quick response.

The Starter Sets and the Master Set each come with a map. The Starter Sets have a thin paper map, while the Master Set comes with a deluxe mounted board. Both serve the same purpose. If you have 6 players, you would not want to play a 6 player version of Summoner Wars, at least not without coming up with some major house rules.

Each of the different factions plays differently, so having many different decks will give you a much different experience.

I have everything Plaid Hat Games has made. It isn't overkill. Your mileage may vary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked into this and the game I got confused with is called Rune Wars, I saw this at a shop called Summoner (obviously a fan) and that is what totaly confused me.

So not 6 players, 6 armies.
Being a sucker for mounted boards I'd obviously perfer that, but I reckon that'll come at a price.

Hm allthough looking into it, I think the base game will cost me about 42 euros, while a starter will set me back 20. Taking into account the base game has 6 armies, while a starter has only two, the base game seems like a good deal.

Mind you,were I to go for a starter set, is there any one that you'd advise over the others.

Having read the basegame armies are different from the starters, I can not help but wonder how many armies there are and what are they.

Being a bit familiar with the fantasy theme, I'm imagining orcs and elfs..and.....

I almost went for FF Invasion, but I have a feeling I will enjoy this better. I like the fact that with this game you are not forced into bying ever more, but can have a perfectly good time with what ever you buy.

How about the size of things, I've bought a few cards games, no bought one, got one as a bonus, in the past and they never got played because the cards were small, had too much text on them and were virtually unreadable without magnifier.
I don't like to sit bend over cards like a blind chicken trying to read what's on a card.

I am of the opinon that a great card game deserves good components and so deserves better than small regular size cards.

Yeah I know that is probably because I'm blind as a bat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
card and type sizes
Summoner Wars cards are a little small, but they are well-designed and the lettering is bigger than what you often see on larger cards of the CCG/LCG type. The small card size is also important to keep the board size from being too huge.

Both starter sets are really good. My own first Summoner Wars buy was the Phoenix Elves vs. Tundra Orcs set, and I'm still happy to play games with just what came in that box, even though I've gone on to get another eleven factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, just found out the mounted board is sold seperately aswell, so that's good news if I want to go starter first.

Curious asto what made you buy the other factions 11? really?
Did you get bored with your first armies, were the others more fun to use?
Or were you simply hooked and wanted it all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, pretty much hooked. I wasn't bored of the original factions at all, but there is a really impressive variety to the ones available that makes getting new ones appetizing.

My favorites at this point are probably Filth (demonolaters, sold as a separate faction deck), Sand Goblins (in the Master Set), and Rallul's Mercenaries (another separate faction deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Nahkalaka
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Ha, just found out the mounted board is sold seperately aswell, so that's good news if I want to go starter first.

Curious asto what made you buy the other factions 11? really?
Did you get bored with your first armies, were the others more fun to use?
Or were you simply hooked and wanted it all...

All of them are great. My friends and I are just hooked. They're are all pretty dang balanced. Like awesomely so. Each faction has so many different tools and trick and strategies to use it's great trying to use them all. There's so much variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that makes the Master Set such a good purchase is the value.

The starter sets each come with two factions, dice, wound tokens, and a paper mat for $25 msrp.

The factions and reinforcement packs are sold at $10 a piece. That's one army (faction pack) or cards to customize your army towards your playing style for two armies (reinforcements).

The board sold separately is $15.

So, given those prices, the Master set with its six factions, mounted board, dice, wound counters, and the insert that can hold a ton more cards should be around $75-$85, right? Nope - $50 msrp and you can find it for cheaper than that online. I think the lowest I've seen is $35.

Absolutely great value for such a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've watched the canadians guy intro video {sorry I forgot his name in the exitement} and now feel eager to watch them all.

Funny really, I'v seen the game for sale often enough, but never bothered to pay any closer attention to it. Cardgame, not my thing.
But now, after having seen it explained so well, and finding the game has such an enthousiastic group of fans, I really warming up to it.

Now from the intro I've learned you allways have a hand of 5 cards and you stick cards in your magic stack and pick them up again etc.
All sounds very logical, wich is good cause I've also tried to understand another card game {history of war, totaly different thing} and didn't understand it at all.

Never mind I can accept I'm to stupid.
But now I've seen this game explained so easily I think with that information in mind I actually might stand a chance of understanding the other ones.

But to my question, I wonder, with cards moving that quickly -I've allready gotten the impression this is not slow and boring, but quick moving and exiting- how long does a game last, how many cards are there in an army pack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One player's deck will have 35 cards, including the starting units on the board and a reference card that shows the start position and lists the inventory of event cards for that summoner. So the draw deck generally starts out with about 27 or 28 cards (including event cards and the second and third wall cards).

A typical tabletop game is 30-50 minutes, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curently viewing the reviews by mr. Smith and Anrea and am really enjoying this.

Now I allready have a feeling this is a game you'd want to last longer and so was somewhat disappointed at the small number of cards.
When their game ended I had this feel of 'is it over allready?'

I also had expected their to be more diversity in the units.
You've got some walls, a number of normal units and some heroes.
I know I said I didn't like games that forced you to buy more and more, but from what I've seen sofar this is a game you'd WANT to buy more units and heroes for.

Hm, has anyone tried combining armies to make the game last longer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
sagitar wrote:
I'm curently viewing the reviews by mr. Smith and Anrea and am really enjoying this.

Now I allready have a feeling this is a game you'd want to last longer and so was somewhat disappointed at the small number of cards.

I know I said I didn't like games that forced you to buy more and more, but from what I've seen sofar this is a game you'd WANT to buy more units and heroes for.

Just my opinion, but when you play Summoner Wars, the game length feels "just right." The map is relatively small and is designed to rapidly drive the opponents into conflict. The faction decks are just big enough to give you options, but small enough that you need to be economical and smart with how you use them. To me, the spirit of Summoner Wars is to encourage you to play a lot of games, trying out different tactics, etc. along the way. I would also say that despite the perception that the faction decks are small, there is a remarkable amount of replayability, especially as your opponents gain experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

There are variant rules for a free build deck (that lets you combine different factions) as well as the included rules which let you customize your deck, within the deck-building restrictions. I have found that the game is pretty much the perfect length though. Longer games aren't necessarily better games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to the above;

I don't know how well the game would play if you started combining elements from different factions together to form your army. Remember these factions are finely balanced. At the very least you'd have to adhere to the existing deck-building guide.

Also, the Reinforcement Decks can add very different 'feels' to your base factions, depending on how you go about structuring your deck. And this isn't an involved affair like Magic; it should take about 10 minutes tops to build your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
game duration
I like the standard rules, and I find that being able to finish a game reliably in under an hour means I get to play much more often than I otherwise would.

But there is an "official" rules variant called "Apocalypse" that doubles the life of the summoners and permits recycling of the discard pile into a new draw deck (with a couple of other tweaks). I haven't played it, but it should produce considerably longer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note Summoner Wars is available on the iOS with a free version that allows you to play single player with the Phoenix Elves vs the AI (with up to 4 different factions).

So if you have an iPhone/iPad or know of someone that does you could give it a try to get a feel for the game before deciding whether to invest in the physical set(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A fine Vassal Module is also available (just watch out for the sharks cool

Oh, and expect to meet 'tweaked' decks (factions modified by using Reinforcement and/or Mercenary units).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... finally I've found a use for the wives I-pad.
how exactly do I find the game?

Oh and maybe I should change the titel of the post, after Smiths review I'm convinced, I must buy this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.