Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days» Forums » General

Subject: Reputation Points and the SMG Online Roster System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Belli
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sergeants Miniatures Game will be using an online roster system that will allow players to register their soldiers for organizational, promotion and training purposes.

Soldiers earn reputation points (RP) every time they are used in battles that have an After Action Report. The battles can take place using the online SMG campaign system, local retail store campaigns or even convention events. The Platoon gains reputation based on the soldiers in the platoon when an after action report is filed. Reputation points can be applied to any soldier that is part of the platoon, either for promotions, awards of medals and badges or even being sent to a specialist school for training. Soldiers earn points for their platoon at different rates based on veterancy.

Each soldier will have one of three different levels of veterancy.

Draftees – New recruits that have yet to see action in the field. These are virtual soldiers who can be bought digitally through the online store. They earn reputation points at the normal rate.

Regulars - these soldiers have some combat experience. They earn reputation points at 2x the normal rate. These are regular physical soldiers bought after their preorder release date. Draftees may earn this level of veterancy after completing 2 complete campaigns with a platoon.

Grizzled Veterans – these soldiers are battle hardened and have been part of many combat actions. They are tried and tested and earn reputation at 3x the normal rate. These are soldiers that are purchased through preorders or prior to January 1st, 2012. Regular soldiers may earn this level of veterancy after completing 6 complete campaigns with a platoon.


Promotions
Each soldier has the ability to be promoted to a Leader. Leaders are soldiers who can be played at 3 different ranks; Rank and File, Junior NCO and Senior NCO. Players will be able to sample how each of their soldiers will look (Soldier cards and action cards) as Leaders using the online roster and will be able to purchase them for play.

Medals and Badges
Players will earn medals and badges through special promotions run by Lost Battalion Games. Certain medals will be available through convention games, retail store or online campaigns. These help bolster a soldier’s combat ability and may augment their Action Cards.

Schools
Soldiers may be sent to specialist schools for additional training. Schools add value to soldiers by adding different dimensions of play. These may include improved abilities, Tactic cards and Teamwork cards.
An example is the USP Scout School. A soldier that has been sent through may have improved Sight distance and have extra May Do boxes added to non-LOOK action cards.

He will also have added Tactics cards. These cards are able to be played from a players hand at a cost of VP. These may include possible Tactics such as “Ambush” – hidden Scout may play 7 soldiers SHOOT, retain if Dog Tag matches.

Also, parts of training are Teamwork cards. These cards are used with the Equipment and Tactics TEAM panels. When Soldiers are all placed on an E&T panel they form a Team. Teamwork cards are tied to the panel and benefit the entire TEAM. Teamwork abilities remain in play until the team is eliminated. An example of a Teamwork card is “Stealthy Approach” – Soldiers on the E&T Scout Team panel, along with the Dog Tag Scout, removes one Spot marker from a TEAM Soldier at the start of each Phase.

Let us begin the discussions! laugh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Arcoraci
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about soldiers killed in battle? Can't really promote them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They earn reputation points at 2x the normal rate. These are regular physical soldiers bought after their preorder release date.



What does that mean?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KIA and Wounded men could pose a problem. Can a KIA return? Will a wounded man be our of action for awhile?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So are the Regulars the soldiers we bought after Jan 1, 2012?

I take it this is only for platoon sized campaigns that the soldiers participate in?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob,
I love the concept. This will add another dimension to an otherwise cool game. The fact that a soldier, for what ever reason, you particularly like, can actually grow and evolve as you play more games.. Well that is just a HUGE WOW factor for me.
This screams league play. Watching as over weeks, groups of "raw" troops come together as a fighting team. Honing and improving their skills and attributes. And, maybe being rewarded for some heroic action along the way....
Bring on the campaign system.
Bravo LBG and Sergeants.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Aw, crap; gonna be sore in the morning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, so promotions, medals, badges, etc. are only acquired by "spending" both reputation points and real money, the costs involved further dependent upon the veteran status of the particular soldiers, thus those relative costs of promotion, et. al. are immediately known after an AAR documenting the progression of soldiers engaged in public forum campaigns are registered online, the prerequisite reputation points earned and immediately recognized?

Correct?


So the production costs incurred are independently assessed and based only on the total number of cards necessary to print and ship?

What corroboration besides an AAR is necessary for campaigns played in retail stores? Or is this strictly an honor system?

Is there a format necessary for an AAR, a level of detail required to recognize the rep points?

What happens as soldiers are inevitably killed? They are permanently removed from that particular campaign only, or their serial number is permanently unable to ever be promoted?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the SMG campaign system or is that something else entirely?

Quote:
The battles can take place using the online SMG campaign system


This quote makes it seem like there's another separate system for campaigns (which may interact with this).

I'm guessing death/wounds are irrelevant.

Where will these "after action reports" take place? On BGG or on another site? That's a pretty good marketing tool.

What worries me about this whole thing is that it seems like a money sink, and I'm worried participating in a campaign mode will require you spend money.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Is this the SMG campaign system or is that something else entirely?

Quote:
The battles can take place using the online SMG campaign system


This quote makes it seem like there's another separate system for campaigns (which may interact with this).

I'm guessing death/wounds are irrelevant.

Where will these "after action reports" take place? On BGG or on another site? That's a pretty good marketing tool.

What worries me about this whole thing is that it seems like a money sink, and I'm worried participating in a campaign mode will require you spend money.



Yeah, we already spend a good bit of change on this system, I don't need promotions or medals that badly to spend even more. Money spent on a campaign is money not going to be spent on further releases. There is a limit to how financially committed myself and some other people can stretch ourselves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that I saw anywhere, that this option is required for playing the game. If through this system, a soldier would be able to obtain new and/or additional cards, I would expect there to be a fee attached. This is afterall, a business and businesses look for ways to gernerate income.
That being said, it is not an integral part of the game. You do not have to particiapte in order to enjoy the game. It is left up to the individual to decide how deep they will delve into the system.
We also have not heard what, if any, those fees would be. So I myself, would wait to hear more about this "accessory" to the game system before I started to worry about the cost.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Belli
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Online Roster system is still in development. That is what Jeff has been working on diligently.

As for the Campaign system it is not set in stone but what we want to happen is make the game more intense and meaningful when you play against an opponent. Every decision you make can have huge impact on how you progress through the campaign. Protecting your veterans so they can help you earn more Reputation Points (RP) might be a big factor for those wanting a quicker route to promotions and soldier development.

Also the plan for the campaigns is not to be linear. As you report the AARs (which will be through the website) your next battle will be given based on the previous battles result. This will give each campaign you play different and have a very high campaign re-playability.

Campaigns will be free to play. The cost to have new cards printed for promoted Leaders, medals, badges, schools, ect, will require something I believe Jeff has mentioned called Transfer Orders. This can be bought with either your RP from campaigns or real money.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to start drumming up local support for the troops!

-Rob K.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelli wrote:
The Online Roster system is still in development. That is what Jeff has been working on diligently.

As for the Campaign system it is not set in stone but what we want to happen is make the game more intense and meaningful when you play against an opponent. Every decision you make can have huge impact on how you progress through the campaign. Protecting your veterans so they can help you earn more Reputation Points (RP) might be a big factor for those wanting a quicker route to promotions and soldier development.

Also the plan for the campaigns is not to be linear. As you report the AARs (which will be through the website) your next battle will be given based on the previous battles result. This will give each campaign you play different and have a very high campaign re-playability.

Campaigns will be free to play. The cost to have new cards printed for promoted Leaders, medals, badges, schools, ect, will require something I believe Jeff has mentioned called Transfer Orders. This can be bought with either your RP from campaigns or real money.


Now that's VERY interesting if you can get Transfer Orders from reputation points via posting battle results online.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unfortunately, none of this interests me. I simply want to play the game against friends around here, not at stores and conventions or in a league. But it now seems the only way to get campaign rules for this game is to get sucked into all of this stuff. How about less of the fancy stuff, and more simple rules for the game itself? I would love to see a campaign system, with points and experience and promotions and handling kills and replacements, etc., just to be used for fun here at home. No internet, no costs, etc. That would be better support for this game than this large, complex, convoluted system.

I remember Avalon Hill had a great campaign system for "Up Front" that took into account experience, kills, the need for new troops, etc. How about rules for that which do not require any of this other commitment? Which can be played at home for fun?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I for sure don't mind paying for the new cards for promoted soldiers, of course there should be a cost for that. I guess it was other sorts of participation fees that could have been a concern. But this is still all premature as we don't know exactly how this will work. I do think the Reputation Points/real money is a cool option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Aw, crap; gonna be sore in the morning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I feared that a super soldier dream team would merely be purchased in order to crush people that don't have deep enough pockets, but I suppose ultimately a point will be reached, possibly very quickly, when a promoted soldier is, for all intents and purposes, unusable. That is, when one has earned or spent enough on a soldier to cause the loss of that soldier's victory points alone to practically be an automatic victory for the opponent, then the risk of even putting that soldier in the mix is too great.

For example, say you field a super soldier that you've spent twenty rep points or fifty bucks or whatever upgrading and now as a consequence that soldier is worth 22VPs as a consequence of all his super abilities, while I have eight or nine cheap soldiers for the same amount of points, then good luck with that 9 vs. 1 situation, bub.

Too many VPs outweighs a soldier's overall usefulness during a match since he'll be simply bum rushed by a swarm of 'lesser' soldiers that only need to make combat contact with him as soon as possible and even if 'Captain America' never misses and always kills you, he won't outlast everyone outnumbered like that once contact is inevitably made. This is easy to do since combat contact doesn't require spotting first and all nine of your guys are converging on the unspotted target until contact is made by just one of them and he becomes auto spotted for the others.

So any one soldier may not progress indefinitely and the only alternative would be to alter the overall victory point system, but the victory point system MUST be maintained in tact or the entire game loses it's critical balance. Thus a super soldier will not be that useful since he becomes more liability than asset due to the vast discrepancy between the total number of actions taken each phase by each player.

With that in mind, I like the idea of adding small, incremental improvements to soldiers understanding that they will also increase in value to my opponent and there is a natural risk factor preventing major imbalances from being introduced into competitive game play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you submit 2 AARs, one for the U.S. and one for the Germans? I know that my boys will want to participate in the campaign system, but we only play the game at home or with friends here at the house. I'd hate to have to pick which side to submit an AAR to get the upgrade points.

This is all very exciting, especially the tactics and teamwork cards that allow you have more exciting decisions.

I wish we could playtest the online campaign because I know the boys have favorite soldiers they'd like to get a promotion or two and our homemade scenario generation leaves a lot to be desired.

Maus
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
R M Chair General wrote:
At first I feared that a super soldier dream team would merely be purchased in order to crush people that don't have deep enough pockets, but I suppose ultimately a point will be reached, possibly very quickly, when a promoted soldier is, for all intents and purposes, unusable. That is, when one has earned or spent enough on a soldier to cause the loss of that soldier's victory points alone to practically be an automatic victory for the opponent, then the risk of even putting that soldier in the mix is too great.

For example, say you field a super soldier that you've spent twenty rep points or fifty bucks or whatever upgrading and now as a consequence that soldier is worth 22VPs as a consequence of all his super abilities, while I have eight or nine cheap soldiers for the same amount of points, then good luck with that 9 vs. 1 situation, bub.

Too many VPs outweighs a soldier's overall usefulness during a match since he'll be simply bum rushed by a swarm of 'lesser' soldiers that only need to make combat contact with him as soon as possible and even if 'Captain America' never misses and always kills you, he won't outlast everyone outnumbered like that once contact is inevitably made. This is easy to do since combat contact doesn't require spotting first and all nine of your guys are converging on the unspotted target until contact is made by just one of them and he becomes auto spotted for the others.

So any one soldier may not progress indefinitely and the only alternative would be to alter the overall victory point system, but the victory point system MUST be maintained in tact or the entire game loses it's critical balance. Thus a super soldier will not be that useful since he becomes more liability than asset due to the vast discrepancy between the total number of actions taken each phase by each player.

With that in mind, I like the idea of adding small, incremental improvements to soldiers understanding that they will also increase in value to my opponent and there is a natural risk factor preventing major imbalances from being introduced into competitive game play.



Yeah, no matter how tricked out a soldier is, he still will only have 2 lives and just as easy to kill as the next guy. So like you said, there will be a point to where you would be afraid to even field the super soldier.

That said, things might be different in a campaign and with team can tactics cards to help with that. Not to mention, the campaign mode might stress avoiding kill 'em all games and living to fight another day. I could also see it taking awhile to get guys promoted, and the 2 or 3 VP guys now would be fun to get slightly bumped a couple VPs with some training.

I had a German soldier in my last game that after getting wounded, took out the U.S. BAR soldier and continued to harass the enemy pretty good. He was certainly a standout and my opponent even said, "I'm targeting your hero over there".


Another thing too that can happen with a soldier that gets supered-up is that maybe he gets bumped up to HQ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkwasny wrote:
Unfortunately, none of this interests me. I simply want to play the game against friends around here, not at stores and conventions or in a league. But it now seems the only way to get campaign rules for this game is to get sucked into all of this stuff. How about less of the fancy stuff, and more simple rules for the game itself? I would love to see a campaign system, with points and experience and promotions and handling kills and replacements, etc., just to be used for fun here at home. No internet, no costs, etc. That would be better support for this game than this large, complex, convoluted system.

I remember Avalon Hill had a great campaign system for "Up Front" that took into account experience, kills, the need for new troops, etc. How about rules for that which do not require any of this other commitment? Which can be played at home for fun?


You can play with friends locally using the campaign system. The rules will be online and free of charge. To play the campaign you Start your Platoon assign the soldiers by entering the dog tag and go at it. If you have not bought Equipment and Tactics you won't use those options in the campaign.

Also, if you have a local hobby store ask the owner to host a local SMG event. He can award the medals to the winner and we ship them. No cost to you or him other than posting results and pictures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
R M Chair General wrote:
At first I feared that a super soldier dream team would merely be purchased in order to crush people that don't have deep enough pockets, but I suppose ultimately a point will be reached, possibly very quickly, when a promoted soldier is, for all intents and purposes, unusable. That is, when one has earned or spent enough on a soldier to cause the loss of that soldier's victory points alone to practically be an automatic victory for the opponent, then the risk of even putting that soldier in the mix is too great.


The VP and Foibles will make sure that Captain America never exists. At best the heroics of real soldiers may be imitated by the game.

The soldiers internal equations put in bad if the good is unbalanced. That is the KEY reason why the online display of all the soldiers cards is necessary for the next step of SMG. If you spent reputation and spent money sending a soldier to school and awarding him a medal. And he gains PTSD and is a drunk you would be really upset. We have to allow you to see what you are getting so you can make an informed choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AARs are submitted by Platoon so each Platoon writes its own history. The soldiers mentioned in AARs gain the mention in the soldier and it travels with him if he is assigned to a new platoon. His life story goes into his service jacket and is available in the roster system.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty awesome Jeff!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:

The VP and Foibles will make sure that Captain America never exists.


Dang! I was so hoping to create Captain America to kick some Nazi butt!

Maus
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:
The rules will be online and free of charge.


That is good.

Jeff Billings wrote:
To play the campaign you Start your Platoon assign the soldiers by entering the dog tag and go at it.


I do not know what any of that means. But it sounds like I will still have to register online, send AARs, and jump through those other hoops in order for you to determine the campaign results and changes in soldiers. If so, why make players go through all of that? Just make rules that can be used here in my home by myself and friends here, without sending you anything, like any other wargame. I have no interest in being forced to join some online club to enjoy the game to its fullest. With the heavy financial investment already required for this game, why make it so difficult and complicated to enjoy this aspect of the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkwasny wrote:
Jeff Billings wrote:
The rules will be online and free of charge.


That is good.

Jeff Billings wrote:
To play the campaign you Start your Platoon assign the soldiers by entering the dog tag and go at it.


I do not know what any of that means. But it sounds like I will still have to register online, send AARs, and jump through those other hoops in order for you to determine the campaign results and changes in soldiers. If so, why make players go through all of that? Just make rules that can be used here in my home by myself and friends here, without sending you anything, like any other wargame. I have no interest in being forced to join some online club to enjoy the game to its fullest. With the heavy financial investment already required for this game, why make it so difficult and complicated to enjoy this aspect of the game?


Maybe the campaign is meant to include many SMG players and that's why the online registration is needed. So my soldiers and your soldiers will be part of the bigger picture of the campaign and thus the online registration is needed to accomodate that. I'm not sure though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.