Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our first game with the expansion. As allways I was the keeper. I choose to play the time travel scenario because I was really curious how the time travel would work.

During their second turn the three investigtors found the time mashine and only one turn later they started to use it. The time travel mechanism is very simple but it works well. There is a maker that shows if the investigator are in the past, the present or the futur and many cards have different text depending on the time. E.g. there is a safe that can be opened in the past but that is empty in the present time and in the future.

I thought it was quite obvious which actions the invetiagors should do when but they surprised me more than once. E.g. there was a grave which they found in present time. The card told them (in my own words): "Here is nothing. Maybe what you are looking for is not here yet." For me it was clear that they should take a look in the future but their next step was to take a look in the past...

Since it was obvious that they were progressing quite slowly I did not do very much on my turns. Nevertheless when the fifth and last event card was revealed (and the investigators were killed) they were far from finishing the game in their favour. They would have needed at least 5 or 6 additional turns.

All the games we played before the investigator were able to win. In the end it was allways very close but they won. I think that this scenario is harder than the ones we played before. The map is quite big and the fact that you travel in time makes it even bigger because every room could be different in each time. If you played this scenario yourself please leave a comment and let me know if the investigators won.

Before I close I want to say something about the general mood. The last times we played there was a quite tense feeling. You could sense the danger and everybody was very alert. This time we did not get the right mood. There was a lot of joking and it was a funny time. Not sure if there is any connection to the scenario or if it was just us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
To us, it definitely felt like a longer scenario than average. And since one of the bosses can potentially have 34 HP (!?), I wouldn't be surprised if it were harder than most scenarios too; we never had enough interest to go back and replay it.

I have to agree that it's quite a poor scenario for mood, and I think I have to blame the time-travel mechanic. It never really captured the time-travel flavor for me; even though the epilogues claim that the time periods are vastly different (future is an apocalypse, past has an evil cult or something), in the actual game they feel completely identical. The time machine itself is also a real tension-killer because it can wipe the board of all monsters instantly - and "pop-up" monsters that are so easy to banish aren't very scary.

Of course, our insistence on playing either the Doctor Who theme or "Let's Do the Time Warp Again" each time we activated the time machine probably didn't help when it came to setting the mood. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the huge amount of HP on the "boss" is no problem because the investigators don't have to kill him.

I think the time travel allowed for some nice riddles but moodwise it really was a problem. When the investigators used the time machine the first time they asked me if the room had changed. I made some things up but it would have been nice if the scenario had provided some flavour text or maybe even some more rules for the time travel. Maybe the process could lead to some horror or at least stun the investigators... Before they used it for the first time there were some discussions and two refused to use it (but they were not the one carrying it). But after the first use - when they saw no harm in doing it - they used it nearly every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Originaldibbler wrote:
Well, the huge amount of HP on the "boss" is no problem because the investigators don't have to kill him.

Different objectives have different bosses. Ours was to kill the boss. I seem to remember one of the others had a boss that didn't need to be killed, but the one that can get up to 34 HP is the one that you have to kill.

(And 34 is a ridiculous number; I'm pretty sure outside of that scenario the strongest possible bosses can barely break 20 HP. And on top of that, it gets to use the Eldritch deck? That's more than a little silly.)

Originaldibbler wrote:
I think the time travel allowed for some nice riddles but moodwise it really was a problem. When the investigators used the time machine the first time they asked me if the room had changed. I made some things up but it would have been nice if the scenario had provided some flavour text or maybe even some more rules for the time travel. Maybe the process could lead to some horror or at least stun the investigators... Before they used it for the first time there were some discussions and two refused to use it (but they were not the one carrying it). But after the first use - when they saw no harm in doing it - they used it nearly every turn.

Yeah, travelling through time should be a huge event - and instead it's pretty much completely devoid of flavor.

James/Iammars has been working on a custom time-travel-based scenario for a while with much more flavor, but it's been stuck on the backburner for a while now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Originaldibbler wrote:

Different objectives have different bosses. Ours was to kill the boss. I seem to remember one of the others had a boss that didn't need to be killed, but the one that can get up to 34 HP is the one that you have to kill.

(And 34 is a ridiculous number; I'm pretty sure outside of that scenario the strongest possible bosses can barely break 20 HP. And on top of that, it gets to use the Eldritch deck? That's more than a little silly.)

Of course you are right and if I think a little longer our boss would have been at about 25 HP (cultist+20HP). Which also is ridiculous if you take into account that it was a human...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do realise there's a file to download in the download section for 'fixes' for the Lost in Space and Time scenario. The main reason I posted it was I figured I could not make the scenario much worse in terms of the objectives.

Even if you don't like the ideas it may give you some pointers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:
You do realise there's a file to download in the download section for 'fixes' for the Lost in Space and Time scenario. The main reason I posted it was I figured I could not make the scenario much worse in terms of the objectives.

Even if you don't like the ideas it may give you some pointers.

Thanks for the hint. I will take a look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.