Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France» Forums » General

Subject: Getting Started-solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im having tough time getting started. I've read both examples of play but still stuck. Any detailed session reports, videos or vassal logs out there. I realize I'm not being very specific but really lost.

Thanks in advance.

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Guys;

Try reading these two posts about a solitaire game Terry did. the link is to the forum at Consimworld:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd43edd/754

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd43edd/764

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jboy3294 wrote:
Guys;

Try reading these two posts about a solitaire game Terry did. the link is to the forum at Consimworld:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd43edd/754

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd43edd/764

John

Those reports are from almost 18 months ago, there's the possibility that changes have occurred to the system in the year between then and the final submission. Not that they don't make a good guide, but best just bear that in mind if you see any discrepancies from the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d10763 wrote:
Im having tough time getting started. I've read both examples of play but still stuck. Any detailed session reports, videos or vassal logs out there. I realize I'm not being very specific but really lost.

Thanks in advance.

D

At what point do you first run into problems? Is the difficulty purely from reading the rules, or are you running into problems while setting up a game and pushing cardboard?

If it's the former then I usually find setting up a game and trying some moves helps a lot, but I appreciate there are different learning styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the quick replies. Reading the consim AARS now. Running into problems early on.

A few examples from BA-3:

First is each counter one plane? I'm confused because 2.31 states that air units represent small groups of 1-6 planes also called flights.

1-RFC has an oob of 3 squadrons. The 29Sqn has 2xDH2. I assume that is two planes and thus two counters? I'm unsure given 2.31.

2-DLS has 2 units, one being the Jasta 11. Tasking note 1 says to use the scout availability matrix to determine aeroplane. What confuses me here is if I roll a 2 on the matrix, the planes are Halb D.II but the pilots listed in note 4 are all on Alb counters. Which counters to use? Why do some planes have pilots listed and others don't?

I have more questions but will stop here for now. I realize these basic questions show just how lost I really am. :-)

Thanks so much!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am doing this scenario for my solo introduction too.

The short answer to your question is that if there is more than one plane in a Flight you use a counter with several planes and no names on it. Each squadron has counters with several planes on them usually marked A, B or C.

(That said I could find only one 40Sqn FE8 Flight but that could be my bad counter sorting.)

The individual plane markers with the pilot's name on them are ONLY used when that plane is the only plane in the flight. This can be from the beginning if there is a one plane flight or in the event that a multi-plane flight has one of its planes crippled requiring it to split off from the flight. In this case you use the individual plane.

So the DH2 flight you refer to uses a 29Sqn DH2 counter with more than one plane on it and either A, B or C.

Jasta 11 has a Halb II flight counter, that is a counter with several planes on it. You use this. If the first plane in this flight (Red Baron) is ever crippled causing him to break from the flight, you would dig out his individual counter (I think he does not have an individual Halb II counter but just use another one).

So I think your struggle here is when you use the individual pilot counters. And the answer is quite rarely. Only when the flight has just the one plane or when a plane has to break off from a multi-plane flight.

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Todd. That's very helpful.

Just to be clear, I'm assuming the way I know whether to use the single plane counter or the multi-plane counter is by the designation in the plane column (e.g. 2xDH2)?

Also, how would I handle dummy counters in a solo play?

Regards.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David!

Don't be discouraged when learning the rules. There is a LOT to absorb. The reason all the German single pilot planes say Alb on them is because there would be WAY too many counters to include a separate one for each type of plane the pilots flew. The important part is to be sure you have the right ADC (Aircraft Data Card) for the flight(s) you are flying.

The 2xDH2 means you will have two DH2 planes in the flight. Each flight can consist of anywhere between 1 to 6 individual planes depending on the scenario.

I have pushed some counters around solo too. I just don't use dummies in solo play since you know exactly what is in each flight anyway. Dummies are only really good to confuse your opponent.

Take it slow and get the basics down first before trying to add the chrome of optional or advanced rules. Bottom line, have fun!

Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Christopher

I really appreciate the help. Question though, using scenario 3 as an example, you're saying that the 2xDH2 is referring to number of flights, or number of planes?

Thanks again.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the play book, that is the number of planes in the squadron. So for the 29 flight marker there will be 2 DH2 planes assigned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But only one counter, correct? I'll get it eventually.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. The other flight consists of two counters for the 40 squadron, an A and B, with four planes each of FE8's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.