Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Grant
Australia
Austinmer
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am i the only one who thinks that unfinished roads and cloisters should not be worth as much in the final scoring? For unfinished cities, you only get half the points (1 instead of 2). But roads still count 1 per tile, and cloisters still count 1 per tile. So there's really not much motivation to finish roads and cloisters, since you get points anyway.

I was thinking of trying a house rule where unfinished roads & cloisters are only worth half the points (rounded either up or down). This would motivate players to finish their features and reduce the chances of a player dumping their followers on unfinished features at the end of the game to rack up a few extra points.

Of course, I don't have Inns & Cathedrals yet, and I suppose the Inn piece would help alleviate this issue. But cloisters are still an issue.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that there are some people who agree with you. I know that I am not one of those people. I am fine with them they way they are meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bo Chaba
Australia
Maroochydore
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The other factor to consider is that roads or cloisters arent very efficient ways to score points. The meeples assigned to them arent usually going to give as great a return as a city or farmer meeple. That they always score is a small incentive to commit meeples to these, especially in the latter game.

In games Ive played, even though they score fully, roads and cloisters are generally ignored at the end game while people try to muscle in farmers or take quick cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
Australia
Austinmer
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Bo. I suppose being able to complete your road or cloister and potentially be able to place your meeple in a farm or city is motivation enough to complete that feature.

BTW, I've only been playing the game for about two weeks, and I absolutely love it! Totally addicted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree that the roads and cloisters do a great job at "tying up" your meeples when you desperately need them, but the other thing is that these are generally easier to complete than cities. Also, it's hard to cut in on a road, and with the cloisters there is NO ability to cut in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Raita
Finland
LOHJA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't see the need for a house rule on this; both roads and cloisters give a reasonably small amount of points even when scored, so I think it's only fair that you get that little even if you don't close it.
On the other hand, you have incent to close them because you will want your meeples back. Many players don't put meeples in cloisters for this reason; the meeple is tied for too long.

The Inns & Cathedrals expansion is really nice, I'd suggest you get it instead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree that roads don't score too much, on the basis that they very rarely get expanded much. Inns and Cathedrals will definitely helps to make roads more interesting because of the double-or-nothing role of the inns. But if you can get hold of the King and Scout mini-expansion that adds an even bigger incentive to build bigger roads, as whoever builds the longest road (as distinguished from the highest-scoring road) wins the Bandit, and scores one point for every completed road at the end of the game. That encouages building big roads, and also finishing roads, rather simply dumping road tiles down with no thought. Great improvement, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.